1.    #1  
    For some reason I can't get the doctor to work on my Vista computer. It gets to the point where I hook up the USB, but never allows me to proceed from that point, even after two hours sitting connected to the computer. I've tried every recommended step, I've tried connecting to every USB port on the computer. I've tried starting from step one at least four or five times. I've even tried asking for help on these forums...with no success.

I just want to get my TP fully functional again. The browser is full of issues that apparently aren't normal. The app catalog is junk and works, at best, about 10% of the time. I'm at my wits end here. Can I run the doctor through QuickInstall? How? Is there a step-by-step guide? Do I really even NEED to doctor it? I just want some real input here.
    Are you running the doctor from the command line?

Follow the directions from this link:
    How To Recover - WebOS Internals

1. cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin"
    2. java -jar <path to doctor-file>

Note that step #2 will look something like this:
    java -jar C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Palm\webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo.jar

The doctor will run as per normal, and your command line box will have a live log of what's going on.

Try it again, and if it still fails, you can copy all the text from the log and post it here and that will give people something to work with.
  3.    #3  
    Okay, perhaps I'm too far removed from the days of DOS, but those command line directions make absolutely zero sense to me. Pretend I'm in first grade. I can pull up the command line and I know the cd and dir commands. That's just about it...

Also, I followed all the other troubleshooting directions from that link, but none of it worked. Tried unplugging and replugging. Nothing. Tried ending the Novacom and restarting it. Nothing.
    Ok go to Start menu on your PC, then find Run, and type in cmd, then enter.

You should see a black box open up which will say C:\Users\Owner>_ (for me)

You need to change into the java directory, which for me is the Step 1 location (in Post#2)
    So you would simply type: cd c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin

then your prompt will look like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin>_

then you type in step 2, if you don't know the path of your webosdoctor, find the icon wherever you've put it, probably the same directory that your webOS Quick Install is in, and right click it, then find Properties and click that, you will find it's location there.
    j_grouchy,
    It sounds to me like you're having problems with your novacom drivers, I've had them get stuck on my PC and a reboot fixed it. Try this:

1. Disconnect the TP from your computer
    2. Turn off your TP
    3. Reboot your computer
    4. Launch the doctor and get it to the screen where it's asking for the Touchpad
    5. Plug the touchpad into your computer while it's powered off and while you're holding the volume up button (this action should automatically power up the TP into recovery mode and "NEXT" should no longer be greyed out)
    you can also restart your novacom drivers by going to the Start menu, Run, then you type services.smc.. Then scroll down to PalmNovacon. Right click it. Stop. Restart.

Then try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    you can also restart your novacom drivers by going to the Start menu, Run, then you type services.smc.. Then scroll down to PalmNovacon. Right click it. Stop. Restart.

Then try again.
    Slight typo there, actually it's services.msc
  8.    #8  
    Ok go to Start menu on your PC, then find Run, and type in cmd, then enter.

You should see a black box open up which will say C:\Users\Owner>_ (for me)

You need to change into the java directory, which for me is the Step 1 location (in Post#2)
    So you would simply type: cd c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin

then your prompt will look like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin>_

then you type in step 2, if you don't know the path of your webosdoctor, find the icon wherever you've put it, probably the same directory that your webOS Quick Install is in, and right click it, then find Properties and click that, you will find it's location there.
    I'll look into this when I have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    j_grouchy,
    It sounds to me like you're having problems with your novacom drivers, I've had them get stuck on my PC and a reboot fixed it. Try this:

1. Disconnect the TP from your computer
    2. Turn off your TP
    3. Reboot your computer
    4. Launch the doctor and get it to the screen where it's asking for the Touchpad
    5. Plug the touchpad into your computer while it's powered off and while you're holding the volume up button (this action should automatically power up the TP into recovery mode and "NEXT" should no longer be greyed out)
    So I would be holding the volume up button WHILE I am plugging it into the computer? The instructions generally have me set it in that mode with the big usb symbol on the screen prior to beginning the doctor setup (by holding the power and volume up buttons down at the same time for about ten seconds).

Then try again.
    Tried that. Several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    So I would be holding the volume up button WHILE I am plugging it into the computer? The instructions generally have me set it in that mode with the big usb symbol on the screen prior to beginning the doctor setup (by holding the power and volume up buttons down at the same time for about ten seconds).
    Yes, hold volume up WHILE you're plugging it in, this method just makes it a tiny bit easier to get the touchpad into recovery mode. Also, it's less likely your PC will do something weird with it's drivers if it only ever sees the TP in recovery mode after a reboot.

If the next button is never lighting up then something is probably wrong with your drivers. Do you have another computer you can try this on? Are you using the USB cable provided by HP?

WOSQI can reinstall the novacom drivers if you launch it without any devices plugged into the computer. Also, you could try updating your Java installation. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    If the next button is never lighting up then something is probably wrong with your drivers. Do you have another computer you can try this on? Are you using the USB cable provided by HP?
    I have an old PC tower...problem is it's not connected to the internet since we went to a wireless router. I'm too cheap to buy a usb wireless adapter and I don't have a cord long enough to reach from the router to the desktop. All this meaning I'll either have to spend some time moving junk around to run this setup on my old XP desktop or break down and buy a usb adapter compatible with my router. The last one I had never worked so I gave it away.

Just a PITA, but I suppose I'll give it a shot when I have the time and my wife is away long enough not to be irritated with me for futzing around with the PC for an hour or so.