Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Wow wow wow! I am running an overclocked touchpad, 1.5 Ghz, under load when trying to watch movies or play angry birds the peak so far has been 39c! I'm afraid its going to hit 40+ and the operating temperature has been said to be 40c max!

Even on 1.2, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Maybe it is because I am running it in the Targus Truss Case?!

What do I do!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by c2q View Post
    Wow wow wow! I am running an overclocked touchpad, 1.5 Ghz, under load when trying to watch movies or play angry birds the peak so far has been 39c! I'm afraid its going to hit 40+ and the operating temperature has been said to be 40c max!

Even on 1.2, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Maybe it is because I am running it in the Targus Truss Case?!

What do I do!?!
    even before ocing mine was on fire after watching a 2 hour movie. don't know the exact temp but it didn't feel safe...
    Yea, mine gets hot too if I have a movie on at 1.2 also... I was wondering about that.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    You know that 40C is like... really hot summer day temp? I doubt that will damage anything. I think the "operating temperature" refers to the environment.
    I wouldn't worry about 39/40. The temperature of wherever you are at seems to affect the temps quite a bit. Currently my TP is at 28c, it usually goes around 32-38 when watching a movie. HOWEVER. When your TP was at 39c was it hot in your house/or wherever you were? My TP has hit as high as 44c on a very hot day, it gets really hot in my room. I was concerned at that point but everything turned out fine. I read in another post that past 50c is bricking temps. So, while 39c is no ideal- you do not have to be worried.
  6. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I hope so!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    How do you measure the CPU temp?

The only temp monitor that I could see is from Dr. Battery which I believe indicates the temp of battery, not the CPU.

Or is it the CPU?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keplenk View Post
    How do you measure the CPU temp?

The only temp monitor that I could see is from Dr. Battery which I believe indicates the temp of battery, not the CPU.

Or is it the CPU?

Thanks
    Download govnah from the preware feeds to see the CPU temp
    Palm Pre 2 on Sprint
  9. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    ugh so is multitasking killing my temps? I have advanced browser open with a few YouTube tabs and a 2 PDF files which are both > than 1000 pgs. My temps in gonna showed 40c... I can even feel how hot its getting when I touch the screen..
    The reason its on fire after watching a movie is that if you use any program other than stock to watch video, which you almost HAVE to do, you are going to be maxing the cores out for the entire runtime of the video. That is, your processor is going to be running at or near 100% the entire length of the movie decoding the video, instead of having the GPU lightly decode it using hardware acceleration, which is only available for the stock video player.
    So is it safe to watch movies like that ?

sent from my thunderbolt
    No worries, temps in the 49s is safe, my 26 month old Pre has been in the 50s numerous times and still is going strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    The reason its on fire after watching a movie is that if you use any program other than stock to watch video, which you almost HAVE to do, you are going to be maxing the cores out for the entire runtime of the video. That is, your processor is going to be running at or near 100% the entire length of the movie decoding the video, instead of having the GPU lightly decode it using hardware acceleration, which is only available for the stock video player.
    Yep, if you see an mp4 with the official movies app, you it shouldn't get that hot.

Nevertheless 40c it's not that bad, especially in the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsy1258 View Post
    So is it safe to watch movies like that ?

sent from my thunderbolt
    No, it really isn't. I mean, its not going to catch fire and it probably won't harm the CPU, but increased temperatures are TERRIBLE for your battery. And realize, you will NEVER be able to replace the battery in this tablet outside of the first year.

So personally I wouldn't be doing it too often.

Also, your battery life will be pretty crappy while the tablet is hot.

The Arrhenius equation defines the relationship between temperature and the rate at which a chemical action proceeds. It shows that the rate increases exponentially as temperature rises. As a rule of thumb, for every 10 C increase in temperature the reaction rate doubles. Thus, an hour at 35 C is equivalent in battery life to two hours at 25 C. Heat is the enemy of the battery and as Arrhenius shows, even small increases in temperature will have a major influence on battery performance affecting both the desired and undesired chemical reactions.
    I've been overclocking my PC lately, so I laughed when I saw that the OP is worried about 40C temps!

My 2500K thrives at those temps...
  16. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    that's probably the dumbest thing I've heard...how can you even compare this to a pc temp wise...
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    No worries, temps in the 49s is safe, my 26 month old Pre has been in the 50s numerous times and still is going strong.
    Just don't put it on your lap. You just might fry your cajones !
    the root.
    This morning, I noticed that my touchpad melted the TPU skin I had on it and the case (along with the Touchpad in it) got stuck to the carpet like someone glued it with a piece of gum.

I think the plastic panel on the back near the speaker on top is slightly deformed now. Didn't expect that to happen.

Other than this the touchpad is running fine and both the speakers are working.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Call HP. I had a 32gb wifi model that the case melted behind the left speaker (screen landscape, speakers at the bottom). HP had a customer rep personally handle my case. She was extremely helpful. She had a new touchpad at my door the day after my touchpad arrived at their HQ. See pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cjf243 - Thank you. I will do that and share what happens.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast