Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    hey hp and box.net idiots. we live in 2011. a year where cloud computing starts and everybody streams files over the internet instead of downloading them so why does your dumb combo from box.net spyware and the hp audio player doesnt stream files instead of downloading and then play ?

<<mod delete>>
    Last edited by bevcraw; 09/11/2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: language
    I don't think the intent of box.net was to provide you with FREE cloud storage and streaming for your music.

edit:
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    That's not the point of box.net. And why are you caling it spyware?

It's meant more for a collboaritve file sharing, and online storage. Not to stream your movies and music from for free.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    another question.

why am i not able to use box.net with the hp webbrowser.

when im in box.net/files i see the page but it doesnt react on taps/clicks.

what a <<mod delete>> webbrowser is this ? a port from commodore c64 ?

and yes box.net app is like nearly all other apps spyware. zonealarm also blocks box.net for being spyware. but hey its my trashpad and not my main machine so i doesnt care about spyware there.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 09/11/2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: language
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    another question.

why am i not able to use box.net with the hp webbrowser.

what a <<mod delete>> webbrowser is this ? a port from commodore c64 ?
    Just install the box.net app - works like a champ - for what it's supposed to do.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 09/11/2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: language in quoted text
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    go to box.net with firefox and stream your mp3s with a flash player

as is say i want the mp3s to get stremed and not downloaded.

when i fire up a 80mb djmix i have to wait till 80mb are downloaded and that sucks 101%
    Box.net is garbage in my opinion. There is no point in offering us 50GB of free storage if files are limited to 100MB and music has to be download and not streamed. The whole point of this would be for all the stuff I couldn't store on the TouchPad because I was out of memory. What was their thought process? O.o
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    Box.net is garbage in my opinion. There is no point in offering us 50GB of free storage if files are limited to 100MB and music has to be download and not streamed. The whole point of this would be for all the stuff I couldn't store on the TouchPad because I was out of memory. What was their thought process? O.o
    Box.net is for business-docs, spreadsheets, pics, even transferring mp3s--I've used box.net for all of this.

If you want to stream music, use the browser to go to amazon, google music, grooveshark, spotify or use one of the tutorials here for streaming via kalemsoft media app.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkboca View Post
    That's not the point of box.net. And why are you caling it spyware?

It's meant more for a collboaritve file sharing, and online storage. Not to stream your movies and music from for free.
    Do not mean to hijack - new here - and am just reading a lot to get familiar with my TP before it arrives. At first, the spyware comment made me a little nervous - Secondly, are you saying that I can share my music and movie files with other box.net users?
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    Do not mean to hijack - new here - and am just reading a lot to get familiar with my TP before it arrives. At first, the spyware comment made me a little nervous - Secondly, are you saying that I can share my music and movie files with other box.net users?
    First, box.net is not spyware.

Second, yes, you can set up folders to share with other people. I'm not sure how it works, but for comparison, with dropbox all the friend has to do is sign up for a free account when they receive an invite from you to your shared folder. This is meant more for content that you create (such as office files and PDFs), so I'd be wary of putting a music library up then sharing it for people to take at will. I'm sure the RIAA's copyright lawyers and the DOJ would have fun with that.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    and yes box.net app is like nearly all other apps spyware. zonealarm also blocks box.net for being spyware. but hey its my trashpad and not my main machine so i doesnt care about spyware there.
    lol @ letting ZoneAlarm dictate your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    The offer was originally not limited to 100MB uploads. I have a 1GB upload limit and made my account a day or two after the big sale. Tough luck you were too late.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
    lol @ letting ZoneAlarm dictate your opinions.

The offer was originally not limited to 100MB uploads. I have a 1GB upload limit and made my account a day or two after the big sale. Tough luck you were too late.
    I've had a box account since around 2006 and it has the 100mb limit.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    I've had a box account since around 2006 and it has the 100mb limit.
    Yeah, you have the free version. TouchPad owners (before the offer expired/was reduced) were given the $20/mo plan for free.
    I also have a 1 gig limit. I think they made a special deal with hp and when everyone started getting firesale tps, they pulled the plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Contradude View Post
    I also have a 1 gig limit. I think they made a special deal with hp and when everyone started getting firesale tps, they pulled the plug.
    More than likely, the agreement with HP only covered a certain number of TouchPads sold, after which they continued with a reduced file size limit. I think box.net would be open to a class action lawsuit if they just willy-nilly turned off a feature because of demand.
    I also got the 1GB upload/50GB storage account. Here's a really good question for you all:
    What the hell kind of files could you have 50GB of, that are NOT media files?

Also, being able to upload a 1GB file has very little value if I then have to completely download the file again before I can open/play it. The best use I can see for this service is for online backup purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by nunjabusiness View Post
    I also got the 1GB upload/50GB storage account. Here's a really good question for you all:
    What the hell kind of files could you have 50GB of, that are NOT media files?

Also, being able to upload a 1GB file has very little value if I then have to completely download the file again before I can open/play it. The best use I can see for this service is for online backup purposes.
    It's ment for business use. So that would include documents, presentations, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Someone from box.net posted in another one of the box.net threads. They had meant to provide a 100mb limit to begin with. Some sort of error in configuration allowed for a number of people with a 1gig limit. Me included.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    More than likely, the agreement with HP only covered a certain number of TouchPads sold, after which they continued with a reduced file size limit. I think box.net would be open to a class action lawsuit if they just willy-nilly turned off a feature because of demand.
    Per the PC Magazine article "HP TouchPad Buyers Still Get 50GB of Box.net Cloud Storage" - Box's CEO Aaron Levie stated regarding the 1GB vs. 100MB upload discrepancy that "From the beginning, the promotion we agreed on with HP was 50GB of free cloud storage, along with a 100MB file size limit for uploads. Due to a misconfiguration on our end, some lucky users received a 1GB limit, and we'll of course continue to honor that for those accounts. We're sorry about any confusion that discrepancy has caused."
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    It's ment for business use. So that would include documents, presentations, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    My point is, I have been involved in US corporate business for more than 35 years and have never seen a document/spreadsheet/presentation that big. In fact, I have yet to see any business-centric marketing info on the TP so why would box.net make that kind of deal for tablets like this?

The only realistic reason for that size file in this context is video.

And then, in order to use it, you would have to completely download it. How long do you think that takes? My time is billed out at $150/hour - do you really think anyone wants to pay someone to sit around and wait while they download the file(s)?

IMO, the bottom line is - not enough for media use and a bad fit for business use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast