Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello - I am one of those who is awaiting delivery of a couple of 32GB TPs from HP-SMB. As I recently managed to secure a 32GB for myself (albeit a scratched demo that has been shipped back to HP for OS install and possible repair/replacement) what I really am in need of is 4-6 16GB TPs to give as gifts. I tried to get 2 16GB TPs through Onsale, but my order was canceled.

There is a part of me that thinks that by the time I even get these two from SMB, the price of the TP will be even cheaper - especially on sites like Overstock.com - and at some of the smaller electronic stores. We all know that the Kindle Tablet is expected to make its debut around that time - then there is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (hopefully making its way to Canada, if not to the U.S), etc.

I thought of just keeping my 32GB order and then just selling them - hoping to make at least $100 so that I can get 4 x 16GB - but in the world of quickly changing technology - how realistic is it to believe that even at $150-$200 people will want a TP two months from now, when there will be so many other things to choose from? In the short time I have used WebOS, I love it - but let's face it - most people are vying for iOs or Android.

What do you think the interest in and market be like for the TP in 2 months and why?
    There will be even MORE interest. Every day, I hear about someone else's mom or sister or neighbor who wants one and is waiting for the [re]release...
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    +1
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Lol. Do you know an accountant with a crystal ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    Hello - I am one of those who is awaiting delivery of a couple of 32GB TPs from HP-SMB. As I recently managed to secure a 32GB for myself (albeit a scratched demo that has been shipped back to HP for OS install and possible repair/replacement) what I really am in need of is 4-6 16GB TPs to give as gifts. I tried to get 2 16GB TPs through Onsale, but my order was canceled.

There is a part of me that thinks that by the time I even get these two from SMB, the price of the TP will be even cheaper - especially on sites like Overstock.com - and at some of the smaller electronic stores. We all know that the Kindle Tablet is expected to make its debut around that time - then there is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (hopefully making its way to Canada, if not to the U.S), etc.

I thought of just keeping my 32GB order and then just selling them - hoping to make at least $100 so that I can get 4 x 16GB - but in the world of quickly changing technology - how realistic is it to believe that even at $150-$200 people will want a TP two months from now, when there will be so many other things to choose from? In the short time I have used WebOS, I love it - but let's face it - most people are vying for iOs or Android.

What do you think the interest in and market be like for the TP in 2 months and why?
    yes, interest will still be there.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    Amazon's cheapest tablet will still be $250...so the touchpad will still blow that away at $100-150.
    Touchkeeper likes this.
    I don't have a crystall ball but I can tell you that all 200,000 Touchpads
    will be sold faster than I can type my credit card number on HP.com.

Then there will be 20,000 posts from people who can't get one.

Followed by 2,000 post about Touchpad prices being too high on eBay.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks,

You all make some good points! This whole tablet thing has the potential to get expensive for me . It is not like I was trying to spend $100 a gift on a bunch of people, but this is too much of an exceptional deal to pass up. I am not trying to make a whole lot off the 32GBs - but if I can get an extra $50 for them - and get one more 16GB - that will really help out with the finances. In all of this, I only wanted a 32 GB for me, but when I was ordering - I put in two just to be sure I could at least get ONE! Ordered the 16GBs before I even ordered the 32s, but no luck there. And just so happens that I ended up getting a 32GB demo from Walmart on Monday.

I do not want to cancel this order - then find myself in the same position two months from now spending too many hours a day surfing, calling, driving... in search of TPs I can afford. I just thought that maybe the interest would die down a little bit by then... but of course, if it it does not - actually having the 32s will give me some leverage.
    The interest is not going anywhere. Especially when you have little TouchPad availability here & there, like yesterday when Tiger Direct & QVC sold bundles for a brief period of time. That created a spark in interest, as people began to suspect other online retailers may get more in stock as well.

Then you have HP doing their final production run between now & the end of October. I'm pretty sure those will trickle out during the beginning of November until Black Friday. Heck, if any of those units get pushed to online or brick & mortar retailers, I guarantee they will hold some until black Friday just to create a frenzy. Even with all the new tablets expected to hit the market, none will be able to top the price of $99/$149. So yes, there will be plenty of ineterst in 2 months. There will also be plenty of hoarders buying as many as they can to re-sell them for inflated prices on eBay & Craigslist.
    The new iPhone will be getting a lot of spotlight in October.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Irrelevant. The Touchpad is not competing with the iPhone. Indeed, being discontinued and priced at $99-149, it has no competition whatsoever.

By the time the end of October rolls around we will be even closer to the holiday shopping period. People are going to want to snag any one they can find for gifts, assuming they've already found one for themselves.

I think the Touchpad will hold its buzz through the end of the year.

The reality is this: the manufacturers of all the other Android tablets are going to be wondering if there's any interest left in their own products given that a million+ potential customers just vanished from the holiday shopping spree radar.

Think about it. Android 3.x tablets in total haven't even reached 1.5M units SOLD (SOLD not SHIPPED) in the entirety of their lives. The Touchpad will have sold nearly that many at fire sale prices.

The Playbook is already beginning to see significant sporadic fire sale pricing at several retailers, even if it's only temporary. Expect to see other tablet prices slashed as we head toward November and manufacturers/retailers want to get old, dusty stock out of their shelves.
    zc1 and Soul Brother like this.
    TouchPad. 2011 Holiday gift of the year.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Wow so those who want a tablet for under 200 will now buy a small screen phone that is over priced and runs iOS that probably will be no jb for
    brilliant!

op

not be cheaper they will cost more
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
  14.    #14  
    Yeah - once again, you all make points I had not thought of. I am going to contact HP and see if they will allow me to change my order from 2 X 32GB to 3 X 16GB. The cost is virtually the same - and this way I can be assured to have one more TP for a gift, that is, if they agree. Then from there, I will try to find 2-3 more 16GBs over the next few months. I do not think the people I am shopping for will care if it is 32GB or 16GB - They will just be surprised as hell to have gotten this type of gift from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    Wow so those who want a tablet for under 200 will now buy a small screen phone that is over priced and runs iOS that probably will be no jb for
    brilliant!

op

the next iPhone will still cost anywhere between $200 to $300, plus a 2-year contract...
    even if you figure just the monthly data plan at $30/month, it comes to $720. Add
    the $300 for the iPhone 5, you end up paying over $1000.

compare this to the $84 that HP.com charged me for the 16GB Touchpad... not a hard
    decision at all.
    Interest will be there . Heck yeah. AT $99 its a steal. I do agree that some of the new tabelts I hear coming out next year for under $200 and the upcoming Amazon tablet will be the next big thing and the touchpad will be last years news. but thats a while from now. I remember when the $550 viewsonic Gtablet was $275 at woot. It was 2 months of everyone trying to get one . literally 10,000 people joing the forum and now 6 months later its a afterthought. But for easily the next 2-3 months its going to be the hot thing.

Again apps are the big thing. I know 2 people who got the touchpad for $99 with no intention of selling but after using it and seeing the lack of apps (for what they need ) slugginess etc they sold them for cinsiderable profit. HP needs to get developers onbaord.
    I think the new run of Touchpads are already spoken for. First HP has to fulfill back orders from the SMB firesale. Then those who were lucky enough to sign up for the email notification of the next sale (limited to one person) will get the rest. I would be very surprised to see Overstock or anyone else selling Touchpads. (unless they have been holding on to their stock waiting for the holidays).
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    brilliant!

op

I am talking about media attention, not value or the merits of each product.
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    the next iPhone will still cost anywhere between $200 to $300, plus a 2-year contract...
    even if you figure just the monthly data plan at $30/month, it comes to $720. Add
    the $300 for the iPhone 5, you end up paying over $1000.

compare this to the $84 that HP.com charged me for the 16GB Touchpad... not a hard
    decision at all.
    We'll see how many TouchPads actually show up in the marketplace and their usefulness 6 months from now.

Of course everyone wants a fire sale priced TouchPad for $99 but it was a total dud when it was full priced and even lowered to $399.

That being said, I want a TouchPad and I am not an iPhone owner.
    I'm sure there will still be alot of interest and they will go quickly, if they are not even already all accounted for.

I haven't decided on if I'll try and get another TP. I got a 32gb through BB and while I think it was worth it for my "tinkering/hobby" use after using it for a couple of weeks I'm not sure I would get another one or recommend my sister or parents get one in it's current state.

It really depends on if/when we see a software update and what it brings to the table.
    vabs0 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast