Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I'm new to posting but have been reading the forums for a few days and appreciate the advice.

I'm after some sound advice and opinions and I'll try to explain the problem as best I can.

A local store has a display touchpad and were today prepared to sell it to me, but it has a fault and they say they've been unable to fix it, and I wondered if anyone here had see anything similar.

The touchpad is stuck on the USB connection screen, and I'm guessing is plugged into a power outlet. In addition in the screen, down the left hand side, was a lot of white text on the black background. I can't remember what the text said unfortunately, but it seemed like an error message repeated over numerous times. At the end of the text was another message in the same test, along the lines of requiring device to be rebooted. I'm guessing the Gus at the store have tried this much at least.

I would suspect that this unit has the demo software on it.

Would I be a fool to purchase it, throwing money down the drain, and has anyone else seen text on the USB screen before and resolved it?

Many thanks for your help and I hope to join you in the owners club shortly.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Will they let you touch it? Reboot it by holding down both the button at the bottom of the screen as well as the power button for 10+ seconds and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by doobdonk View Post
    Hi, I'm new to posting but have been reading the forums for a few days and appreciate the advice.

I'm after some sound advice and opinions and I'll try to explain the problem as best I can.

A local store has a display touchpad and were today prepared to sell it to me, but it has a fault and they say they've been unable to fix it, and I wondered if anyone here had see anything similar.

The touchpad is stuck on the USB connection screen, and I'm guessing is plugged into a power outlet. In addition in the screen, down the left hand side, was a lot of white text on the black background. I can't remember what the text said unfortunately, but it seemed like an error message repeated over numerous times. At the end of the text was another message in the same test, along the lines of requiring device to be rebooted. I'm guessing the Gus at the store have tried this much at least.

I would suspect that this unit has the demo software on it.

Would I be a fool to purchase it, throwing money down the drain, and has anyone else seen text on the USB screen before and resolved it?

Many thanks for your help and I hope to join you in the owners club shortly.
    Bring your laptop in and play with it a little bit. Try to force boot it and take it out of demo mode.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    it pretty hard to brick a webOS device, so unless there is faulty hardware (I doubt it) you should be safe. Even the demo units are covered under warranty, so you could probably get it replaced if you had to
    Maybe you can Doctor it.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    they should sell it for 20 to 30% less its a demo

get and follow the instructions on a post here to get rid of the demo
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    if you can get that thing for $60 or $70, buy it.
    Buy it. Doctor it. Worse case scenario, get it exchanged under warranty.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I remember reading somewhere about this exact same issue in regards to demo units. It's probably in another thread here somewhere, but I don't remember which one. I believe the solution is what LurkerX suggested above:

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    ... Reboot it by holding down both the button at the bottom of the screen as well as the power button for 10+ seconds and see what happens.
    That should probably fix it.
    if its at a good price (ie less than 100 for the 16gb, or under 150 for the 32gb) then buy it because at the very least you can spend part of a day to get it working just fine, or simply sell it on ebay for 200 as-is... If its a 64gb version, or a 3g version by some chance then buy it as long as its under 300... Actually if its the 32gb or 3g version you should probably buy it reguard-less of price and then sell it for a shiny penny

Its a nice little device, IMO well worth a little trouble to get it working fine -especially at a low price
    Tablet PC: HP 2730p [all the goodies: 2 slice batteries, slim dock, Intel X18-m 160GB, 8GB ram, ect...] | Toshiba Tecra M4 [Crucial M4 64GB SSD, 2GB ram, ect...]
    entertainment tablet: HP touchpad 32GB -sold it, it just doesn't cut the mustard-
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    If you are worried about it, I'll gladly buy it from you
    here's something

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...p-support.html

he finally was able to exchange it.
    the demo units were not intended to be sold. They should be making arrangements to send it back to HP.
    I bought a demo last week and just sent it off to HP today for OS install. It was the second demo I bought in a week. The first one I got had a lot of physical damage to it, and originally, a CSR told me they would replace/repair the unit under the warranty. When I called back a few days later - another person told me that with as much damage as it had, the warranty would most likely be voided because HP would look at it and say that the damage was due to improper usage - although you could clearly see the ring left from the anti-theft device that was on it - and all of the gouges were within that ring area. I took that one back and got a refund.

Now, I had a second demo - which Walmart sold to me as a new device because supposedly, it had been securely enclosed in a glass case. Turns out, it had some scuffs and scratches on it. I went back yesterday, and they gave me a $40.00 credit. HP says this one is under warranty, but they cannot guarantee they will repair/replace it for free. They will call me and let me know. Of course, if they find some other issues with it, they will have to. If not, I am fine with it - it will all be covered by a skin, anyway.

If you do not see any physical damage to the thing, where HP can accuse you of mishandling the device, and you can get it for a good price, even better - if you can return it - (Walmart gave me 15 days to return both of the ones I had) - I say go for it. Call the HP Butler number - and let them know you have a demo that is not working properly. You should get a shipping box within 2 days to return it to them for service under the warranty.

They are familiar with this type of issue, since, due to the shortage in stock, so many people are opting for demo models. I read here that the only difference between the demo models and the retail models is the software. HP was very accommodating each time I called.
  15.    #15  
    Many thanks for the replies. I'm going to go and try to get it shortly if it's still available. Will update on what happens.
    To the OP:

I would never buy something that I feel is "faulty" in any regards at any price...

Maybe that's why I DID buy a TouchPad, though.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vectre View Post
    the demo units were not intended to be sold. They should be making arrangements to send it back to HP.
    not true they where released for sale
    they are true working TP no difference other than the demo program.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    physical damage is not covered under warranty stuff like scratches for a Demo I highly doubt they will cover because demos are registered with HP as one and they will know when you send it back
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    not true they where released for sale
    they are true working TP no difference other than the demo program.
    Could you provide a source for this information? According to member HardBeatZ who is an HP employee, the demos were never intended to be sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    physical damage is not covered under warranty stuff like scratches for a Demo I highly doubt they will cover because demos are registered with HP as one and they will know when you send it back
    Good point - which is why I am glad that I spoke with the one CSR when I did, and returned the first TP that had more physical damage, although it worked fine. The second one looked like that back of my iPhone in some places. I generally buy refurbished electronics (rarely have the even looked used)- so, I do not get squeamish about a few scratches so long as I have a warranty and get a good price on the item. Having gotten only $40 off the TP, I consider this one of the worst deals I got on an open-boxed item, but I needed to put this out-of-control search for a TP to rest!

I only ended up calling the Butler service number when I could not get pass the WebOS registration screen, per the instructions I found here. Apparently, some people's demo serial numbers were unblocked by HP and just doctoring their device removed the demo software. I guess the ones from Walmart were not. Also, it was here where I found out that HP would install the proper OS. When I called HP and I was told that there is a possibility they would even repair/replace the unit - well, it was worth keeping at least the one. I will see the outcome in under two weeks, which is much sooner than I will see the TPs I ordered from HP SMB - Therefore, well worth a try.
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 09/11/2011 at 10:11 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast