Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Could you provide a source for this information? According to member HardBeatZ who is an HP employee, the demos were never intended to be sold.
    You're right, no demo unit was supposed to be sold. They were supposed to be returned to HP, but some stores have been selling them instead. That's how I got mine...
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    You're right, no demo unit was supposed to be sold. They were supposed to be returned to HP, but some stores have been selling them instead. That's how I got mine...
    @ m0ngr31 From where did you get yours - what was the condition - cost - and did you have to send it back to HP? I could not get the software installed properly, but then again, I am a novice, and figured it was best to have HP do it for free - especially with the chance that it might be repaired or replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by doobdonk View Post

The touchpad is stuck on the USB connection screen, and I'm guessing is plugged into a power outlet. In addition in the screen, down the left hand side, was a lot of white text on the black background.
    I forgot to mention that it took a while before I got the first demo because the people at Walmart knew very little about it. It had not been on in weeks, they said. So they plugged it in and I came back nearly two hours later and it would not turn on. It was the T-Mobile sales guy who came over and pointed out to them that the cord was not working. When I told him that I read it had to be charged with the adapter, he removed the cord and attached the an iPad cord to the adapter and plugged it in. That got rid of the warning and it started charging.

As for the USB screen, I have gotten then by pressing the volume rocker up and the power button at the same time. It is how I started the WebOS update. I had to keep going into this mode in trying to do the quick install, but I just could not get done. I found the only way to get rid of that particular screen after that was to install something. Since I had already installed the update over and over and over again - without getting past the WebOS registration screen, the last time I got that icon, I just left it there overnight. The next morning, the battery had drained - I charged it, and I was right back to the initial setup screen. That I have read that it is difficult to brick the TP, made me feel comfortable about just leaving it and seeing what happened.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    @ m0ngr31 From where did you get yours - what was the condition - cost - and did you have to send it back to HP? I could not get the software installed properly, but then again, I am a novice, and figured it was best to have HP do it for free - especially with the chance that it might be repaired or replaced.
    i got mine from Wal-Mart. I laid $90 for a 32GB. Condition is pretty good, but there are a few scratches in the back from where it was on the stand.

I just used the regular doctor to restore it and used impostah to activate it. I thought about sending it to HP so I could activate it normally, but its not a huge deal.
    Ahhhh - Then YOU are the one whose post I read in another thread after I had bought mine for full price! I did not see the scratches on mine until I got home, because they packed it before I got there and said it had never been touched. I only looked at the front when I was in the store. Once I was home, I called to complain about the scratches and they offered me a 10% discount - hardly anything since I had to drive about 10 miles on the highway just to get there.

So, I called again on Friday and asked if it is customary for them to give a discount on demos. She said yes, 10% I told her I wanted a higher discount since that 10% they offered me a few days earlier would do nothing but cover gas, and it should have been offered in the first place. I also said that had read that some people paid as little as $50 for demos at Staples and $90 for demos at Walmart. She agreed to a 20% discount, which I was till iffy about, but ...

When I got there - I picked up the lone Touchstone charger that they had when I was there a few days earlier - at the time it was still nearly $80. When I scanned the price on Friday, it came up as $49.98. So, I snatched it up - and while waiting for the manager to arrive, a different manager flat out offered me a $40 credit, which I used to purchase the Touchstone.

So, I figured I made out well - not a killing but well - I got and extra $10 discount - and I did not have to go searching online for a reasonably priced Touchstone. I tried unsuccessfully for six days to get the software updated correctly, finally giving in and sending it to HP yesterday.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Well let me know how long it takes for them to get it going. I might be interested if it doesn't take forever
    I think usually it is 5-7 business days - but they told me 7-10. I am sure it is due to the fire sale and many returns as a result.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12