Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have had the $99 touchpad for a couple weeks now and I love it! It does all I need it to do and more....

Today I was at Target and saw the ipad for $499! and $599! and I had a good chuckle about that.
    sorli, fwinst, laingman and 9 others like this.
    If it wasn't for HP, I never would have even bothered to think about getting a touch tablet. Tablets just weren't on my radar.

I would have bought a far more capable netbook for less money instead.

Thank you HP!
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'm with you on that jblather, now trying to find the killer app for it. Suggestions on a postcard...
    dabombcra likes this.
    Well, I have 2 Touchpad 32's and a lPad 64, no cracks in the lPad case yet in its 15 months of use but I have hairline cracks at the speaker ports on the touchpads.....
    Go figure !
    I love the fact the touchpad is so much cheaper than the ipad. Also, they are goin like hot cakes!!! It's good for webOS
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    undefined

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    sifon187 likes this.
    Yep, I never thought about getting a tablet until the HP Touchpad fire sale. At $99, well, $150 for me, I got one for me and one for the wife. I use it to wast time, such as watch movies, but I still do most things on my laptop just because I don't like the way the Touchpads web browser handles web pages. For the occasional webpage it is ok to use though.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor21 View Post
    I have had the $99 touchpad for a couple weeks now and I love it! It does all I need it to do and more....

Today I was at Target and saw the ipad for $499! and $599! and I had a good chuckle about that.
    I agree that it is funny. But realize one is a company that failed so fantastically at mobile that they had to sell their device for a 66% loss over what it costs them to produce, and the other is a company that produces such a high quality product that they created the market for tablets out of nothing while selling them at a premium price.
    Indeed. I still view these things as toys and still cannot justify spending $600 for such a toy.

Apple is an amazing toy company.
    WinstonSmith likes this.
    @ muyoso - exactly. And while I love my TP, it lacks so much in the app department, that I am forced to still use my iPad the majority of the time. If I could get apps like Atomic web browser, banking apps, better video and music playing apps, photo manipulation and creation apps, dropbox and dropcopy type apps and so on, I would use my TP much more.
    If Android gets ported over, I'll be very happy, in particular ICS, vice Froyo or Honeycomb.

So while the OP may chuckle at getting a tablet at a great price, many Android and iOS users will chuckle at the OP's inability to use the TP tablet as it was meant to be used.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
  11.    #11  
    With the TP I can surf the web, watch movies and listen to music, create an edit word and excel docs and print. 99% of the stuff I need to do. I don't get why some people complain about the TP. Why would I put android on this? I have an iphone and the only app I wish I had on tp is splashtop and that is coming
    c
    With the TP I can surf the web, watch movies and listen to music, create an edit word and excel docs and print. 99% of the stuff I need to do. I don't get why some people complain about the TP. Why would I put android on this? I have an iphone and the only app I wish I had on tp is splashtop and that is coming
    c
    LOL, have you actually tried to edit a word or excel document?

It's fine for other stuff, but quickoffice is seriously lacking. If enough people actually complain about it, maybe they'll take the time to fix it.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    c
    Some people would like to put Android on it because they can. Why not sample something new? Maybe if you try some other apps you might like them ... I don't understand people that shackle themselves to one thing, it's very limiting.

Regarding TP vs iPad, I am still considering getting a iPad because I have a lot of universal apps for my iPod Touch and the quality of some of the music-making apps is without debate outstanding.

Yes, the TP has been a great buy for me and will find a niche in my home but it doesn't preclude me from using something else or modifying it so I have the option of trying something new out with no risk to the original functionality. I'd be a fool not to.

webOS, iOS, Android, Windows 3.1 (!) ... I really couldn't give a monkey's if it gets me the functionality I want.

Naturally, this standpoint does not make for the usual level of OS/Platform forum debate so I will bow out here and go back to playing ThumbJam on my iThing which is sitting quite happily next to my TP.
    Last edited by DeadVim; 09/10/2011 at 08:03 PM.
    zc1, mc_wardy and dong1225 like this.
    I like the TP but find that there are not enough apps compared to the Ipad. I have just listed my TP on ebay because without the 3g, it is kind of useless to me.
    60RH likes this.
  15.    #15  
    Everyone has different uses and that's good. I've got ubuntu on here also. Actually if I could get android on here I would just because I can.

I just don't get why some people are so down on the tp and/or webOS? When I get back on my iphone I find myself trying to swipe up to close something. It seems kind of strange to have to hit the home button 2x and the close the program.

Yes I have edited and created docs and spreadsheets....not all the options but it works good for what I need. My laptop is usually the base for my tp case.

to each his own I guess. I'll keep my touchpad!
    snowwhitie, Bo and cujoq37 like this.
    This has NOTHING on my iPad 2. The HP TouchPad for me still feels slower to use and the laggy-scrolling really annoys me even though I have overclocked to 1.5GHz and installed all the patches. It's a good tablet I guess but I can't believe people actually think it's a far better tablet than the iPad.

Edit: Having Steve Jobs as my profile photo isn't going to help my case at all...
    iPhone 4 16GB Black | iPad 2 WiFi 32GB Black
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    I think for $99... the TP is worth every penny and every issue it has... whether laggy performance or being heavier... or lack of features like rear camera or apps... or bugs like losing sound periodically... it's priced into that $99.

I have two ipad2 but I was looking for a $99 TP... for that price I can give my 9yo the TP and she could beat the crap out of it and her ipad2 can go to her mom. even if the case over time cracks from the speakers to the top... it'd still be worth it to me.

unfortunately they were gone faster than an ipad2 on release day.

$99 is a great price point to get people to give a tablet a go. you can't get anything like it for cheaper.
    Why chuckle? While i bought a firesale tp and like it i also have owned the ipad1 and sold it for the ipad2 and they are worth every dollar because the ipad is far superior in every way. Read the reviews in the sticky section. Thats why the ipad has never been a firesale item and milions are sold every month. Sure, the tp wll do basic internet stuff. I think for the $149 i paid for a 32 gb it is a great deal. But its not an ipad that will be suported and developed forever. For bargain hunters who want to get into the tablet thing you cant go wrong with a tp if you cant invest in an ipad or one of the other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by smackead View Post
    I love the fact the touchpad is so much cheaper than the ipad. Also, they are goin like hot cakes!!! It's good for webOS
    Tps are only cheaper because the tp is now dead as far as hp is concerned. When it came out a month before hp killed it it cost the same as the ipad. Read the original tp reviews in the sticky section. I bought a firesale tp bit only because it was so cheap.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Its sad that we put so much emphasis on making comparisons and then dig ourselves into defending a position based on our opinion. I have used all manner of tech, and tablets yes Apple remains the benchmark for app choice and UI polish. For now. I own an iPad because it has the apps I want, namely Amplitube and Garageband. I play guitar and those apps are fantastic for that.

However, I also own a TP. And I have been using that way more than than iPad. Why? Because while it has less apps, it *does* have apps. Maybe less is more in this regard, the apps I use are fine for what they are. I also find the TP simply to be more practical. I like the way it multitasks. WebOS is wonderful allowing me to run up multiple apps at the same time. Its fun to swipe apps off the screen hehe. I love the way it handles email, Synergy etc. My Pre 3 lets me SMS and handle voice calls through it. In return, my Pre 3 acts as a Mobile Hotspot for my TP when I need on the go internet access when Wifi isn't available. All in all, I am very happy and satisfied. Actually I'm looking for a dev to help me with an app idea I have that would make this (and I suppose all tablets) a profoundly more practical replacement for a notebook. Will sort out when I'm back in Australia.

Anyway, I guess I'm re-stating what is likely to have been stated many times before by folk more qualified than me - people like to have choice. And in a way that is exactly Apple's value proposition - a massive choice with apps. But choice goes beyond apps, and HP helped further that option for many by fireselling its product at a price point too hard to resist. So choice also includes features for price, and the fact we can choose different hardware and OS's ... not because its the 'right' or 'best' thing, but because we *can*. That is the value of HP and webOS, Google and Android and the myriad of other manufacturers in the tablet market.

Many of you might own more than one car... I bet that more often than not both cars will be different models, if not different manufacturers. Or maybe you own a car and a motorcycle for personal transportation needs and wants. Different motivations and purposes.

I enjoy and respect the fact we can choose and not be locked into only one option. Well, lets hope webOS lives on another hardware platform in the not too distant future.

Peace.

Ps HP accidentally hit the secret sauce with price, and webOS is simply lovely. who can complain about that? Love the fact I paid only $150 hehehehe

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    ChemEngr, NiceGuy, zc1 and 11 others like this.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast