Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    No I don't. The reality is my Mac is 5 years old, not 5 years out of date. It will still run the newest OSX software flawlessly.

The iPod touch while running 3.1.3 software works perfectly still today.
    Of course it 'works', but good luck trying to install some of the newer apps that require iOS 4 or above, I know I have a 1st gen Touch and an iPhone 4S. The difference between the two in responsiveness and functionality is instantly apparent (and it's not just the higher resolution on the iPhone).

I can also look at my 2007 C2D Mac Mini, running SL, and while it still 'works' fine, it's limited because it only has a maximum of 2 GB of RAM. Since my primary hobby is photography, that's very limiting, but my 2007 Toshiba topped out at 4 GB, and is still decently acceptable to run Lightroom. It run Windows 7 x64 just fine, but an OS really isn't that demanding, I could put Lion on my Mac, but the computer is old enough that it can't utilize some of the additional features in Lion, so what would be the point?

The PC I built in 2009 still runs like a champ, but it has the headroom to grow, but some point down the line, cameras will get better, with bigger files, and I'll need a faster CPU to compensate, at which point I'll upgrade again, but that probably won't happen for another 2-3 years.

Computers primarily get updated when they no longer run the SW acceptably, even though they usually still 'work'.
    You can actually install 3 gigs of ram on the Mini.

I have never felt that my Macbook just ran "fine" I find it works well for everything I want to do including audio editing.

Of course a first gen Touch will not be everything a 4s will be. But I find it works faster and has more usefulness than WebOS 1.4.5
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    You can actually install 3 gigs of ram on the Mini.

I have never felt that my Macbook just ran "fine" I find it works well for everything I want to do including audio editing.

Of course a first gen Touch will not be everything a 4s will be. But I find it works faster and has more usefulness than WebOS 1.4.5
    I know the Mini can see ~3.3 GB, but it's really not worth it, not when my laptop has 4 GB, or my desktop has 8 GB...either one will be faster, short of also replacing the HD in the Mini, but it's not worth the added cost for that either.

The 1st iPod Touch always felt like a music player, with a touch screen and a bunch of other stuff tacked on to it, I thought it never ran all that well, other than to play music, and do some light browsing (when Safari didn't want to crash). Even Mail doesn't have a unified inbox. The photos app is nice though.

It was honestly the most disappointing $230 I've ever spent, and I'm not sure why I bought it in the first place, probably got caught up in the apps hype. I spent less on my Pre+ and TP combined.

My Pre+ could at least run Pandora without ads (the newest iOS version is worse, it has video commercials), and it had a GPS/3G radio, but webOS just wasn't well optimized and the hardware wasn't reliable.

iOS 5/4S feels like a much well rounded and usable device overall, with more powerful apps and HW, and a pretty decent camera.
    Safari never crashes on my Wife's iPod Touch. She occasionally uses the Kindle app for reading and it keeps her from bringing her laptop on shorter trips. To me, being a device from 2007 that still does all this is amazing. The Facebook app works great and it's a neat little device.

I still have a WebOS device and it doesn't hold a candle to the iPod Touch in terms of operation and it's close to 3 years newer.
    Quote Originally Posted by synthos View Post
    I don't hate Apple. I'm an Apple fan and a TouchPad fan. I sleep and wake with my iPhone4S. I'm going to be first in line for the iPad 3. But still, I like the TouchPad too.

Where's the variety?
    I wasn't saying that you personally hate Apple, but it seems a lot of people on this forum do. I think they believe it's cool to hate anything that's mainstream and highly successful. Personally I don't see the need to own more than one tablet, but if works for you than that's great. Let me ask you one question, if you had to sell one of your tablets which one would it be?
    Last edited by BlueBellThunder; 12/29/2011 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Typo
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Apple has done a great job of keeping any competitors from producing devices using their operating systems, while maximizing their appeal. Hence the high prices and huge cash surplus. Some of us root for the underdogs. I would sell my iPad because I would get way more money for it, and not loose any functionality that would adversely impact my daily life...
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
    Apple has done a great job of keeping any competitors from producing devices using their operating systems, while maximizing their appeal. Hence the high prices and huge cash surplus. Some of us root for the underdogs. I would sell my iPad because I would get way more money for it, and not loose any functionality that would adversely impact my daily life...
    I think it was a good idea for Apple to only allow their software on their hardware. The way I see it is they control the entire user experience. If they allowed HP or Dell to use their OS and there were problems, most people would blame Apple and not HP or dell. Every time something goes wrong with a windows pc people will only look at the software as the problem and never the hardware.
    I have ipad2 my fiance has the tp i bought her. The tp is a very capable device and after the patches, oc and uber kernnel it works awesome. However the ipad just blows it away i wont go into every detail but there just isnt any real comparison.
    verwon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by grayparatrooper View Post
    I have ipad2 my fiance has the tp i bought her. The tp is a very capable device and after the patches, oc and uber kernnel it works awesome. However the ipad just blows it away i wont go into every detail but there just isnt any real comparison.
    That's what I've been saying all along. The people on these forums that think the TP is better than the iPad are only basing it on price. Of course the TP is a better value at $99. But when you compare the two without considering the price the iPad wins hands down. The iPad will have at least 3 or more years support from Apple, and many more apps. I know some on the forums say you can do the same things on the browser, but that's the TP's weak spot. I recently sold my TP and bought an iPad and haven't looked back. It was well worth the extra money spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    That's what I've been saying all along. The people on these forums that think the TP is better than the iPad are only basing it on price.
    You are so wrong. I think the TP is better than the iPad. My partner does too, and we had an iPad (and iPhone), which we sold to get one of the TP's. Last night, whilst out for dinner with someone who had an iPhone 4S and an iPad2, my partner was asked "which do you prefer?". Pre3 and Touchpad was the answer.

As for Apps, as I keep saying, don't miss them. So far, not anything I haven't been able to get. Funnily enough, my biggest issue is not being able to get CIFS to work. Why? because of Apple's implementation on Lion! (And I am an Apple fan).
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Typing comments using the browser looked same on Touchpad and iPad. I was expecting better performance on iPad. And Email notifications on webOS is genius. For email and multitasking the Touchpad beats iPad.iPad beats Touchpad on responsiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
    You are so wrong. I think the TP is better than the iPad. My partner does too, and we had an iPad (and iPhone), which we sold to get one of the TP's. Last night, whilst out for dinner with someone who had an iPhone 4S and an iPad2, my partner was asked "which do you prefer?". Pre3 and Touchpad was the answer.

As for Apps, as I keep saying, don't miss them. So far, not anything I haven't been able to get. Funnily enough, my biggest issue is not being able to get CIFS to work. Why? because of Apple's implementation on Lion! (And I am an Apple fan).
    Wow, you must have gotten different Touchpads in Oz! Out of the box, my Touchpad was nothing close to my iPad 2. Touch responsiveness, speed of the OS, weboage renderings, and so on... No where close to what you get on the iPad 2. And I won't bother commenting on the lack of apps or app development.

That said, after I downloaded preware, overclocked (or rather set the cpu to thecorrect speed) to 1.5 ghz, upgraded the touch response, installed advanced web browser and so on, my Touchpad is very close to operating as well as my stock ipad. The browser still sucks, even the advanced one, web page rendering is still not as fast, the lack of apps is still killing me, but the ability to render Flash websites smoothly, to have true multitasking, the awesome email and FB notification system, use of the touchstone for recharging, to have a tablet that now runs about as fast as the ipad and an adjustable virtual keyboard for a $150 USD pricetag, has made the TP a great buy.

Does it match the current iPad, no. And when the iPad 3 is released, the Touchpad will really show it's age. But if CM9 allows for a dual boot into ICS, it will breath some fresh air into the TP!
    Last edited by Mac.World; 01/06/2012 at 06:42 PM.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    I just got my iPad 2. . . . It doesn't even compare to webOS. Aside from the flashy animations being a crap ton smoother, most everything else is similar to or less than what we have in webOS. Btw, I can't find any tablet optimized apps I want that aren't also avail in webOS . . Except words with friends. Their little emulator window kinda works a ton better than ours too, although ours is designed better.

Better built in web browser and smoother animations does not make up for the damn annoying ui, and the **** poor multitasking. And there also are not iPad versions of the apps I used most on my itouch before I got my touchpad.. Or at least if there are, they weren't immediat3ly findable

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    It's not that it is becoming cool to bash apple, it's that there are a growing number of people that are seeing behind the curtain that apple puts in front of everyone. People think it is the best. It is clearly not. People think they will look cool if they have one. They are not. This "image" thing they have going for them is slowly going away thankfully. Why people would choose to buy into the expensive closed off "eco"system apple has is beyond me.
    I colleague at mine got a ipad for christmas. So she was asking the ipad folks how to get flash video's to play. I started laughing. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    I colleague at mine got a ipad for christmas. So she was asking the ipad folks how to get flash video's to play. I started laughing. lol.
    Why did you laugh? You can play Flash on an iPad. It's not as smooth as on a Touchpad is all (for video's anyway). You simply download Photon web browser to browse Flash. Not a big deal.

And what is more interesting, now that Adobe no longer supports Flash, every day more and more websites drop it in favor of HTML5 and new websites don't bother with Flash.

It's unfortunate that an uneducated person like yourself spreads this sort of nonsense.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Well to be fair, he was probably laughing at the fact it's not natively supported and that you have to use a workaround to use Flash (not that Flash is great, but that's besides the point).

I'm personally divided, I like many of the touch functions that webOS offers (I think the whole card thing is pretty neat), but iPad just seems that extra bit more accurate, not to mention I have a bunch of apps I could use on it from my iPod Touch instead of the limited offerings on the TP (though I love using that snes emulator on the TP).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xezat View Post
    Well to be fair, he was probably laughing at the fact it's not natively supported and that you have to use a workaround to use Flash (not that Flash is great, but that's besides the point).

I'm personally divided, I like many of the touch functions that webOS offers (I think the whole card thing is pretty neat), but iPad just seems that extra bit more accurate, not to mention I have a bunch of apps I could use on it from my iPod Touch instead of the limited offerings on the TP (though I love using that snes emulator on the TP).
    The cards and the Facebook app were the only good things on the TP. I just don't get anyone how can say the touchpad is better. If you are looking at it from a point of view that the TP is $100 if you got it at the fire price sale then fine, but leaving out the price how can you really justify the ipad not being only better but a superior tablet compared to anything else the market has to currently offer?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    Someone suggested Photon browser. I've never used it, but Puffin and iSwifter both play flash on the ipad.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Its all a matter of preference I think. I just got a touchpad and I am now starting to remember what I loved about webOS after going over to the dark side (Android) with my phone. Sadly I cannot go back to a Pre on the phone with the current shortage of mobile based apps. But at this point I'm seeing all I need for a tablet, though a few things could use improvement (Evernote, epub reader). I was considering Androidifying it. But the current CM7 is just a phone OS thats been frankenized to be sorta tabletish.
    I know people that love the iPad and more power to them but there's no way Apple is getting a dime of my bucks.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast