Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 181
Like Tree108Likes
  1. #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    Gee. They are giving themselves between one and two years to probably come out with something that may be a tablet. That's commitment for you. Can you really hanging your hat on this? It's about as non-committal as you can get? What is it about Palm devotees that makes one willing to watch technology go by for so long?
    I can't figure it out myself either. Maybe someone can explain.
  2. #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Tech isn't about having the best speced thing there is, it's about having something that does what you need and/or want it to do.
    I agree - but updates to the OS are critical to me on a PC, phone or tablet.
  3. #143  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I agree - but updates to the OS are critical to me on a PC, phone or tablet.
    Amen brother
  4. #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Tech isn't about having the best speced thing there is, it's about having something that does what you need and/or want it to do.
    This is very true. I have many requirements for the medical field and guess what? Only the iPad has apps specific to things like MRI uploading and manipulation, medical document and record keeping, etc... This is a very specific need in my case. This is what makes the ipad the best on the market. There are apps for nearly any and every field of work.
    What I have been surprised with on the TP, is that there are still people developing for it, so I can get some use out of it for now. Splashtop was a surprise, but so was the addition of Zite!
    My TP gets the most use when it comes time to watching UFC events on Facebook. I can watch the Flash based fights on my iPad via Photon web browser, but it is so much clearer and smoother using my TP. When it comes to Flash, my TP is a godsend!
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
  5. #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    A lot of the apps I used on the TP did the same thing. And buy the way maybe I got a lemon of a TP but the battery life on my iPad is about 10 to 12 hours before I hit 20 percent battery life left. On the TP it was about 4 to 5.
    You got a lemon of a TP or something; I regularly get 8-9 hours out of the battery on my TP.

    However, I haven't really used my TP in about a week, now that I got my 4S. While webOS has a couple things I miss from my Pre+ (swiping/cards and Synergy), nearly everything else is just simply better.

    I've read a lot of complaints about the battery life with iOS 5, but I haven't noticed any problems, but then again, coming from my Pre+ that couldn't last a day without doing anything...not sure if the complaints could be carrier specific either, I'm on Verizon.
  6. #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    Gee. They are giving themselves between one and two years to probably come out with something that may be a tablet. That's commitment for you. Can you really hanging your hat on this? It's about as non-committal as you can get? What is it about Palm devotees that makes one willing to watch technology go by for so long?
    It's because he's "thinking beyond." And "it's a marathon."

    I got my boat ready because of the flood of apps we're all gonna see.
  7. #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I agree - but updates to the OS are critical to me on a PC, phone or tablet.
    oh? How long exactly have you had a cell phone for? Because until the iPhone, there really weren't any cell phones that had major software updates. And there haven't been any software updates to anything less than a 3GS in over 2 years.

    And there still aren't more than a handful. Palm and Apple seem to be leading the charge in that, considering that Android tends to leave behind old hardware at a staggering pace. So, do you buy a new cell phone when a new OS comes out?

    Do you go buy every new version of Windows or Mac OS that comes out, right away, so you can have the updates? (or do you pirate it?)

    Will you buy a new tablet, every time a new OS comes out?

    Why are you entitled to updates to everything? You don't -really- get system updates with most things.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  8. #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    oh? How long exactly have you had a cell phone for? Because until the iPhone, there really weren't any cell phones that had major software updates. And there haven't been any software updates to anything less than a 3GS in over 2 years.

    And there still aren't more than a handful. Palm and Apple seem to be leading the charge in that, considering that Android tends to leave behind old hardware at a staggering pace. So, do you buy a new cell phone when a new OS comes out?

    Do you go buy every new version of Windows or Mac OS that comes out, right away,
    so you can have the updates? (or do you pirate it?)

    Will you buy a new tablet, every time a new OS comes out?

    Why are you entitled to updates to everything? You don't -really- get system updates with most things.
    The trend with Apple seems like you'll get updates on I- devices for about 3 years. Most people now will update their devices after 3 years ( if they can afford to). If companies didn't continue to update hardware an software they wouldn't last long as a company. But the thing with apple devices are they have good resale value. I bought an iPhone 3G in 2008 then sold it in 2010 and got about $180 for it then bought an iPhone 4 and will sell that when the next iPhone comes out next year. My 3 year old MacBook that I paid $1000 for has a resale value of about $600. So I'm thinking of selling that for a MacBook air.
  9. #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    oh? How long exactly have you had a cell phone for? Because until the iPhone, there really weren't any cell phones that had major software updates. And there haven't been any software updates to anything less than a 3GS in over 2 years.

    And there still aren't more than a handful. Palm and Apple seem to be leading the charge in that, considering that Android tends to leave behind old hardware at a staggering pace. So, do you buy a new cell phone when a new OS comes out?

    Do you go buy every new version of Windows or Mac OS that comes out, right away, so you can have the updates? (or do you pirate it?)

    Will you buy a new tablet, every time a new OS comes out?

    Why are you entitled to updates to everything? You don't -really- get system updates with most things.
    Considering the iPhone debuted 3 & 1/2 years ago and the current iOs has been updated to 3.1.3, I believe it to be a very supported system. 3.1.3 is more compatible for content than WebOS 1.4.5 in my experience with my wife's 1st generation iPod Touch.

    I still have a late 2006 macbook running Snow Leopard - I haven't felt the need to upgrade to Lion yet and I stayed on Tiger skipping Leopard until Tiger was too old. I NEVER pirate.

    As long as software works with all content, why upgrade? I believe that Apple does a darn good job keeping their older hardware up to date with new software.

    My 2007 Toshiba laptop is so outdated in every way that it's useless now.
    Last edited by rnld; 12/26/2011 at 01:33 PM.
  10. #150  
  11. #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I agree - but updates to the OS are critical to me on a PC, phone or tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Considering the iPhone debuted 3 & 1/2 years ago and the current iOs has been updated to 3.1.3, I believe it to be a very supported system. 3.1.3 is more compatible for content than WebOS 1.4.5 in my experience with my wife's 1st generation iPod Touch.

    I still have a late 2006 macbook running Snow Leopard - I haven't felt the need to upgrade to Lion yet and I stayed on Tiger skipping Leopard until Tiger was too old. I NEVER pirate.

    As long as software works with all content, why upgrade? I believe that Apple does a darn good job keeping their older hardware up to date with new software.

    My 2007 Toshiba laptop is so outdated in every way that it's useless now.
    So, updates are critical for you, no matter the platform, but your iPod is 2 years out of date, your Mac is 5 years out of date, and you don't care to upgrade until the software stops working. See the disconnect in your messages here?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  12. #152  
    i think he means software updates that keep devices functional. if a device is still functional enough, then he won't update
  13. #153  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    So, updates are critical for you, no matter the platform, but your iPod is 2 years out of date, your Mac is 5 years out of date, and you don't care to upgrade until the software stops working. See the disconnect in your messages here?
    No I don't. The reality is my Mac is 5 years old, not 5 years out of date. It will still run the newest OSX software flawlessly.

    The iPod touch while running 3.1.3 software works perfectly still today.
  14. #154  
    ok, 2.5 years out of date on your software updates there. How critical are these updates for you then? Considering that one is not capable of being updated any more (the iPod), and the other one is apparently quite capable of being updated.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  15. #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ok, 2.5 years out of date on your software updates there. How critical are these updates for you then? Considering that one is not capable of being updated any more (the iPod), and the other one is apparently quite capable of being updated.
    That's not correct. Snow Leopard has been updated all along and is now at 10.6.8 with all security updates still being available to Snow Leopard as well. OSX Lion was not released until the end of July, 2011 with Snow Leopard being current until less than 6 months ago.

    In terms of the iPod Touch, 3.1.3 does appear to be the last update but as of today it is still compatible with everything it was designed to do.

    We'll see how WebOS does with 4 and 5 year old hardware and if it is compatible with the web, etc at that point. A 2009 Pre or Pixi never got WebOS 2 software. It ended with 1.4.5.1

    Face it, WebOS is not good with software updates.
  16. #156  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    That's not correct. Snow Leopard has been updated all along and is now at 10.6.8 with all security updates still being available to Snow Leopard as well. OSX Lion was not released until the end of July, 2011 with Snow Leopard being current until less than 6 months ago.

    In terms of the iPod Touch, 3.1.3 does appear to be the last update but as of today it is still compatible with everything it was designed to do.

    We'll see how WebOS does with 4 and 5 year old hardware and if it is compatible with the web, etc at that point. A 2009 Pre or Pixi never got WebOS 2 software. It ended with 1.4.5.1

    Face it, WebOS is not good with software updates.
    I find it hard to believe anyone on this forum can defend HP and webOS and are willing to accept very limited support.
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    I find it hard to believe anyone on this forum can defend HP and webOS and are willing to accept very limited support.
    It's not about defending HP, and specifically Leo Apotheker. It's putting FUD into context.

    Fact. webOS is still getting updates and we know one is on the way
    Fact. HP has recommitted to the OS
    Fact. Engineers are still employed to develop the OS
    Fact. New apps are still being developed and are still being released

    What is up for debate is wether the TouchPad was better than the iPad.

    Having had both... for me, it's the TouchPad.

    But that's subjective.
    Siobhán

    Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

    I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    dweiums likes this.
  18. #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
    It's not about defending HP, and specifically Leo Apotheker. It's putting FUD into context.

    Fact. webOS is still getting updates and we know one is on the way
    Fact. HP has recommitted to the OS
    Fact. Engineers are still employed to develop the OS
    Fact. New apps are still being developed and are still being released

    What is up for debate is wether the TouchPad was better than the iPad.

    Having had both... for me, it's the TouchPad.

    But that's subjective.
    HP has recommitted to WebOS software?
  19. #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by synthos View Post
    It saddens me that any tablet that comes out will be compared with the iPad. Even if it's tablet running Windows, it will be compared with the iPad.

    Why do they keep shoving it down our throats? I specifically set out for a tablet that's NOT an iPad.

    Can't anything exist without trying to be an iPad? Is this what we've been reduced to? Has the world gone mad?

    I already know I have the year's best tablet in terms of power and productivity. It's the HP TouchPad. Yes, I know they cancelled it. But it still works if that's what you're wondering.

    So what's their points? I simply don't like the tablet forms of iOS or Android, I uninstalled CM7. So for now, it's TouchPad or no tablet at all.

    I actually don't download many apps.
    Why the hate for Apple? It seems like its now cool to hate on Apple the way it used to be cool to hate on Microsoft. What I don't understand is how anyone can say with a straight face that the TP is better than an iPad. In terms of hardware and software I don't think any one will be touching Apple for a long time.
  20. #160  
    Speaking of Software updates - There is a story about iOS keypad shortcuts on Yahoo today and I checked my wife's 1st generation iPod Touch with 3.1.3 software and all of the cool shortcuts worked. The demo appeared to be done on a new iPad and iPhone.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions