Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    If the iPad had webOS's multitasking , it would be unstoppable. The iPad is stable, fast, easy to use, it only needs killer multitasking. I have two ipads , the touchpad and an android tablet, so I have a unique perspective on their daily usability.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    agreed, i really wish iOS had the notifications and multitasking of webos. Android and iOS's current notification system sucks. ill hang on to my webos phones forever, but for the time being i am using a Veer and an HD7. I really dig WP7.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    If the iPad had webOS's multitasking , it would be unstoppable. The iPad is stable, fast, easy to use, it only needs killer multitasking. I have two ipads , the touchpad and an android tablet, so I have a unique perspective on their daily usability.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Multitasking and Flash support for me.

I'd probably sell the TouchPad if this were the case. I just couldn't justify having it around, even it ran ICS flawlessly.

(I have a webOS/CM7 Touchpad and an iPad 2).
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cord View Post
    Well, I have 2 Touchpad 32's and a lPad 64, no cracks in the lPad case yet in its 15 months of use but I have hairline cracks at the speaker ports on the touchpads.....
    Go figure !
    I have seen a lot of people talk about this, but don't understand it. My 14 year old (who is like a Godzilla/Bam-Bam splice) has no cracks on his either. What the hell are you people doing with these things?
    Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    I have seen a lot of people talk about this, but don't understand it. My 14 year old (who is like a Godzilla/Bam-Bam splice) has no cracks on his either. What the hell are you people doing with these things?
    It's a manufacturing defect, hence out of their control.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    Cracks appear regardless of use. I barely use mine at all, yet I have cracks near the speakers. It's a design issue. Or poor quality control.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    I have always thought my TouchPad is immune to this (I have never noticed anything), but looking right now I see one 1 cm crack at the right speaker's left side

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Pre³ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    I love my touchpad but I'm beginning to worry about the cracks (very small for now but who knows?
    johnjaycee likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor21 View Post
    I have had the $99 touchpad for a couple weeks now and I love it! It does all I need it to do and more....

Today I was at Target and saw the ipad for $499! and $599! and I had a good chuckle about that.
    Do you still love it even without the apps and support?
    Quote Originally Posted by smcbeaven View Post
    agreed, i really wish iOS had the notifications and multitasking of webos. Android and iOS's current notification system sucks. ill hang on to my webos phones forever, but for the time being i am using a Veer and an HD7. I really dig WP7.
    I know I'm replying to an old post, but I just received my iPhone 4S the other day, and the notifications in iOS 5 are pretty impressive IMO, at least more informative than what the TP current offers.

The multitasking isn't quite as nice (I continually keep wanting to swipe up like on my Pre+), but double tapping the home button isn't the end of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    I do. I had a Wifi 64GB iPad... sold it to pay for a faster and, in my opinion, better 64GB Touchpad.

Only had 34 apps on the iPad and not missed a single one of them because I either got it, or better, on the Touchpad... or maybe the other apps were just rubbish. Adobe may have finished with Flash, but many web sites still use it.

Only issue? My partner is Japanese, and there is no Japanese Input :-(

Oh, and I also got a Touchpad 4G, and we both have Pre3's (Sold the iPhone).

Must say, 2nd hand value of Apple is good though :-)
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
    I do. I had a Wifi 64GB iPad... sold it to pay for a faster and, in my opinion, better 64GB Touchpad.

Only had 34 apps on the iPad and not missed a single one of them because I either got it, or better, on the Touchpad... or maybe the other apps were just rubbish. Adobe may have finished with Flash, but many web sites still use it.

Only issue? My partner is Japanese, and there is no Japanese Input :-(

Oh, and I also got a Touchpad 4G, and we both have Pre3's (Sold the iPhone).

Must say, 2nd hand value of Apple is good though :-)
    I guess I must have got a bad TP. I had mine for about a month and did the whole preware thing overclocked and everything else that was supposed to speed it up. It wasn't that bad but did lag at times. Flash videos usually were poorly played and no Netflix. So I sold my TP on amazon and managed to get back what I paid for it ( I paid $240 and then sold it used for the same). I then bought an iPad 2 and I must say it beats the TP hands down. Everything just works better. And for those who say it doesn't multitask haven't updated to ios 5. With swipe gestures it multitasks just fine. And with an unbelievable app selection and continued apple support it was well worth the extra money. The only thing I'll miss on the TP is the cards.
    Even on iOS 5, the vast majority of programs just shut down and restart when you move away from them. Even a lot of the ones that claim to multitask lose their network connections and have to reload stuff. (looking at you, Skype, you giant piece of crap on iOS)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    There IS support. HP has reinforced WebOS by open source (or they say they will) and there is WebOS Internals. I am confident enough to say open source will bloom new possibilities for WebOS in not only app development but overall OS advancement.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    There IS support. HP has reinforced WebOS by open source (or they say they will) and there is WebOS Internals. I am confident enough to say open source will bloom new possibilities for WebOS in not only app development but overall OS advancement.
    I think there will only be real support if new hardware is introduced, which for now doesn't seem likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Even on iOS 5, the vast majority of programs just shut down and restart when you move away from them. Even a lot of the ones that claim to multitask lose their network connections and have to reload stuff. (looking at you, Skype, you giant piece of crap on iOS)
    A lot of the apps I used on the TP did the same thing. And buy the way maybe I got a lemon of a TP but the battery life on my iPad is about 10 to 12 hours before I hit 20 percent battery life left. On the TP it was about 4 to 5.
    The only app I've encountered on the TouchPad that does not multitask fully properly (excluding that the web browser won't change pages if it's not focused, which was a seriously boneheaded design decision) is Splashtop Remote.

If you were having that with your TouchPad, you were closing your apps, rather than letting them run.

So far, after having run several tests, to see how far you can push a TouchPad to it's limits, one of which involved running my maximum 1.7GHz overclock, setting the CPU to "performance" mode, cranking the brightness up to max, and doing highly intensive tasks, such as benchmarks and stuff on it, I've found that the maximum current I could get the battery to drain at was a bit over 900mAh. With a 6300mAh battery, that is stock, that's a conservative estimate of 6.5 hours, at absolute maximum power drain the whole time.

So, since in this forum, we obey the laws of physics and mathematics, it looks like either your battery really sucked, you managed to get some kind of extreme use case going beyond what I was able to do while forcefully trying to find out how fast it would drain, or you're just posting random stuff.

iPad is definitely not as much of a battery drain. Their screen tech is way ahead of the rest of the business, the unit has a quarter the RAM of our TouchPads, 1 less CPU core, and it's processing loads are typically quite a bit less than you'll see on any other kind of tablet.

I definitely won't argue that the battery lifetime on an iPad is significantly longer - it's much lower on power consumption.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    While I didn't do any scientific tests I would simply look at the time from when the TP was fully charged and the record the amount of time I used it until I got the 20% warning. I also tried to calibrate the battery but that didn't help, and I did close out apps I weren't using. The main time I would notice apps not running in the background was with the browser. I didn't use many apps because there wasn't a good selection for my needs. Only the Facebook and USA Today were good ones in my opinion. The iPad 2 does have dual core, and while it my have less ram, it definitely faster. I guess ios knows how to do more with less. My MacBook is much faster than my dell desktop with much less hardware (2 gbs vs. 4 and dual core vs. quad core).
    I think there will only be real support if new hardware is introduced, which for now doesn't seem likely.
    Which means you don't keep up with the news. Meg Whitman (CEO of HP) said new hardware will be coming in 2013 and it'll probably be a tablet.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
    Which means you don't keep up with the news. Meg Whitman (CEO of HP) said new hardware will be coming in 2013 and it'll probably be a tablet.
    By 2013 the TP will be old news. Android tablets will be much better by then, and IOS will have the multitasking thing down also. If HP makes the same mistake of pricing it in the iPad price point, it will just be a repeat of what happened this year. And as we have seen with a lot of companies lately( Netflix & AT&T) they are making boneheaded moves.
    Tech isn't about having the best speced thing there is, it's about having something that does what you need and/or want it to do.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast