Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Of course you can have an attachment in ipad email. Whst are yiu talking about?
    Open up a new e-mail, then try and add an attachment. Good luck is all I have to say. You obviously have never used an iPad.

Now, if you jailbreak your iPad, it's simple to add any file stored on the iPad via email. It's similar to finding files via iFile.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    I can go online and download Windows 7 Home Premieum ISO, from my Touchpad- then plug it right into my laptop and install a completely new operating system. That my friends, is true power.

You can't do that with an iPad.

Yeah it's got apps, but apps are child's play. Really, I mean how many of those apps are for little children? 80%?
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    I can go online and download Windows 7 Home Premieum ISO, from my Touchpad- then plug it right into my laptop and install a completely new operating system. That my friends, is true power.

You can't do that with an iPad.

Yeah it's got apps, but apps are child's play. Really, I mean how many of those apps are for little children? 80%?
    You can do that on the iPad w/ some of the "free alternative browser" like Mercury and Marquis. So I don't know where you get that from. They let you download and let you wifi transfer your stuff without using itunes. They all have built in webDav servers. I don't think I've ever touch iTunes in a long time. For example, I play videos from network shares and read word documents from my company's file server using the iPad.

Some of the true power things Ipad can do are:
    -Cisco VPN
    -iSSH (X11/SSH) is an awesome terminal app which is better optimized for tablet use than running Xecutah/Xterm/Ubuntu and some shoddy XVKB virtual keyboard. It really makes use of the tablet with transparent keyboards, floating transparent modifier keys. The whole experience is very smoother than launching UBUNTU on the Touchpad.
    -Nice MySQL/Oracle/Postgres client apps
    -A host of RDP, VNC, X11 connectivity apps. These apps are touch and multi-gesture optimized to allow you do things like double click, drag,etc.
    -WebEx client for client conferencing
    -Video editing apps. Some with grading capabilities and special effects
    -Image editing/compositing apps.
    -Ability to mount NFS/Samba shares and stream a variety of videos using the app FileBrowser. File Browser allows you to access CIFs/Samba shares

- A dozen or so PDF annotation and markup tools. iPad can easily open up 100MB PDFs whereas the Touchpad struggles w/ anything over 2MB.

There are some powerful apps if you care to look.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualjock View Post
    You can do that on the iPad w/ some of the "free alternative browser" like Mercury and Marquis. So I don't know where you get that from. They let you download and let you wifi transfer your stuff without using itunes. They all have built in webDav servers. I don't think I've ever touch iTunes in a long time. For example, I play videos from network shares and read word documents from my company's file server using the iPad.
    They say they have app that can do flash but- That's about a thousand differerent apps right there. And you can't multitask by the way. By the time you get done downloading all that crap, you won't have enough space to download what you were originally trying to download!

I like one button click.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/16/2011 at 04:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    Open up a new e-mail, then try and add an attachment. Good luck is all I have to say. You obviously have never used an iPad.
    It is true you can't add an attachment from within inside the email app. HOWEVER, you can add it in whatever PDF/File Manager app you have. That is the work-around. But to say you can't add a PDF, Word doc to an email is wrong. Each app has the ability to "send-to" the email app an attachment.

For example, I use FileApp, FilePro and any document in those apps can add an attachment to an email. I use those apps to store all my files - Word, Excel, PDFs, etc.

Apps are another term for the word 'software'. Is software childs play? What do you think the browser on your TouchPad is? Software....an 'app'. Find me a device that doesn't benefit from more software options. Which magical device is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    Apps are another term for the word 'software'. Is software childs play? What do you think the browser on your TouchPad is? Software....an 'app'. Find me a device that doesn't benefit from more software options. Which magical device is that?
    Alot of people have told me they think the iPhone is "kiddy" Whatever that means.

As an Apple user, I go to the App store. For some reason, I always go straight to the games.

But it's not what the product's can't do, it's what the products can do. That's what makes a product.

So, I don't focus on it.

Apple is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship and Jobs is the dictator.

Consumer base has no effect in Apple's mind, they do what they want when they want. Alot of people who are fans of Apple are drones. Simply that, drones.

So, I don't focus on it.
    If it's about what a product can do, then why would you call users of the product that does the most "drones?"
    But it's not what the product's can't do, it's what the products can do. That's what makes a product.
    Thats what makes the iPad a blockbuster product.
    It can do a lot of things due to its ecosystem.

A few months ago I went down to Latin America. When I was at the airport, I was able to download travel documentaries videos, books, translation software via the iTune store. Those Samantha Brown and Anthony Bourdain videos come in handy duriny 6 hour layovers. $2-3 dollar isn't going to kill me.
    I was able to get language translation software and offline currency conversion. Internet connection might be spotty so I better get some apps for off-line use.

Off the plane, I was able to buy pre-paid 3G SIM and have internet connectivity. I also have working hiking GPS/Nav apps so explore sites like the Maya Ruins.
    $25-35 for iGo turn-by-turn navigation in different countries like Peru and Panama save me money vs spending $150 from the car rental company.
    I can download photos and videos from my camera using the camera connection kit and actually do video-editing, titles, and slideshows within the iPad. I can post those videos to my facebook pals.

All of this can be done on an iPad2. None of this can be done with a Touchpad. Get it? Powerful scenario I just painted.

Kid stuff? Huh? Lets see Flash do what I just described.
    iboost79 likes this.
    Consumer base has no effect in Apple's mind, they do what they want when they want. Alot of people who are fans of Apple are drones. Simply that, drones.
    Or they appreciate a device that actually has software support....go figure. Lack of software support was the Mac's big downfall for years and almost resulted in Apple ceasing to exist. Don't pretend for a second software support doesn't matter on a device. There's a reason the TouchPads are on the scrap heap and a tiny laughable app store is a big part of it. I love mine for $99 well enough, but I'm not going to pretend that software is no big deal...because that's just ridiculous on every level. What a tablet CAN do is based in large part on the software.

But yeah...the only reason it's successful is because Apple buyers are drones...LoL. That's idiotic.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor21 View Post
    I have had the $99 touchpad for a couple weeks now and I love it! It does all I need it to do and more....

Today I was at Target and saw the ipad for $499! and $599! and I had a good chuckle about that.
    At first HP was pricing TouchPad Same as IPAd 2, now would u buy a touchpad if it is same price as an IPAd 2?
    stop smashing the iPad, the iPad is the most well rounded tablet on the market, but it is not suitable for everyone's needs. I love my touchpad. IMO Webos is far more intuitive and designed better than any other OS out there, which is why i have a touchpad. But i never would have bought a touchpad at its original price BECAUSE i could have purchased an iPad which has more to offer. Although, i don't need tons of apps, the iPad has more to offer in terms of multimedia.
    The ipad2 IS the best tablet out there BY FAR. I mean it's not even close. Sure it has a couple issues but so do most other products. I love my Touchpad. But if I had cash to burn I would have bought an ipad2 first.
    If the iPad had webOS's multitasking , it would be unstoppable. The iPad is stable, fast, easy to use, it only needs killer multitasking. I have two ipads , the touchpad and an android tablet, so I have a unique perspective on their daily usability.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    you know what makes me chuckle?

the fine editorial published at P|C before touchpad lunch, in which the writer joyfully claimed that touchpad should NOT be sold at a price lower than iPad2. He/she argued that lower price will give buyer a "low quality" impression.

Guess what, only cheap non-apple tablet is selling now. Expensive ones are all in the warehouse.
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualjock View Post
    Thats what makes the iPad a blockbuster product.
    It can do a lot of things due to its ecosystem.

A few months ago I went down to Latin America. When I was at the airport, I was able to download travel documentaries videos, books, translation software via the iTune store. Those Samantha Brown and Anthony Bourdain videos come in handy duriny 6 hour layovers. $2-3 dollar isn't going to kill me.
    I was able to get language translation software and offline currency conversion. Internet connection might be spotty so I better get some apps for off-line use.

Off the plane, I was able to buy pre-paid 3G SIM and have internet connectivity. I also have working hiking GPS/Nav apps so explore sites like the Maya Ruins.
    $25-35 for iGo turn-by-turn navigation in different countries like Peru and Panama save me money vs spending $150 from the car rental company.
    I can download photos and videos from my camera using the camera connection kit and actually do video-editing, titles, and slideshows within the iPad. I can post those videos to my facebook pals.

All of this can be done on an iPad2. None of this can be done with a Touchpad. Get it? Powerful scenario I just painted.

Kid stuff? Huh? Lets see Flash do what I just described.
    I have to admit I did not read the whole thread but read this post a few times and it puzzled me, especially this line: "None of this can be done with a Touchpad"

The books and the videos, doesn't Amazon have a good selection?
    Buying the sim, can't one do that for phones other than iphone and then use free tether? Using the phone or wifi will avoid the monthly GPS charge for the months that one doesn't use the pad and so is a popular choice for people.
    Downloading photos and videos with "a camera connection kit"--this can be done via a usb port with battery and the Motorola connection kit.
    There's a bunch of (some free) currency converter apps in the catalogue and language converters also.
    I can't see using my pad while hiking but there are GPS and maps available for the Pre and there is even a GPS workaround for the TouchPad if one wants to hold it in one hand while climbing rocks with the other hand.
    That said, I'm not denying that the iPad has a more robust ecosystem, I'm just denying your claim that the TouchPad has nothing to offer in these areas.

Do you own a TouchPad and if so, did you look into any of this before you wrote this post?
    The Touchpad has been discontinued and was sold at fire sale prices of $99. It will limp along.
    Quote Originally Posted by bojangles21 View Post
    If the iPad was a better price I would get it in a heart beat but I am not dropping $500 for it. I would be able to do so many things with an iPad...it could even control my Pioneer Receiver. Almost everything about the Touchpad seems incomplete and rushed. There are so many annoyances including the lack of good quality apps.
    I'm controlling denon receiver thru the mac itunes via a new app by homebrew called home control, still in beta but stay tuned and follow its progress in the thread
    Overall tablets are nothing more then a fad and in no way replace a true laptop. That being said I love my touchpad, ZERO issues outside of very poor video player sorting. For traveling, roadtrips, or just when I don't have time to power up laptop or desktop its perfect.
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    Overall tablets are nothing more then a fad and in no way replace a true laptop.
    Can you explain? Most people use their home computers for things like web browsing, email, Facebook, maybe games, maybe videos, etc. These are things that tablets can do and in much simpler ways.

Personally, I've replaced my laptop when I got my transformer. I can even replace it with my ipad or touchpad. The only thing I would use my laptop for are special programs that have years worth of data on them.

Of course, there will always be user bases which rely on special software, but these are not "typical" home PC users.

Tablets have ALREADY been replacing netbooks and in 1-2 years will hurt the laptop market considerably. Devices like the Transformer (tablet + keyboard) will be the way of the future. They will replace laptops, gaming consoles, DVD/Bluetooth players, magazines/catalogues, etc.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk