Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    I guess I got carried away by the idea of getting one for next to nothing. I never really wanted a tablet, and I was never sure what Iíd do with one if I had one. Now that I do have one, and Iíve finished fiddling around, installing patches, and setting it up, Iím back to wondering what Iím going to do with it (other than play Angry Birds).

Itís not as smooth to use as Iíd have hoped, even with the patches applied. The browser isnít very good. Thereís painfully few HD versions of webOS apps to use. I guess one good point is that I can use my phone as a wireless hotspot, and take the touchpad with me to the coffee shop or whatever. ButÖ Iím not sure what Iíd need/want to do on the internet while Iím out and about that I canít do on my phone.
    I pretty much felt that way at first, but after struggling with my original Pre- with it's flaky keyboard, tiny screen and weird email behavior (especially with Yahoo), it's lack of ease at doing simple things like taking notes, checking news feeds...I find myself using tablets more and more. So much easier to start up for quick tasks than a laptop, and with Dropbox integration, it is actually proving much more useful than I thought.
    TP 16g here, i have a pre minus, with free tether installed. this thing has replaced my company laptop, the only thing lacking is my connection to the office booking software. our IT dept is working on that, its not a TP issue as much as its an IT permissions issue.
    with the apps i purchased for my pre, and the recent upgrades, this tablet is damn near perfect. Clients love it, frankly, it has made selling online advertising much easier. Now, i just have to, 1) get a new battery for my pre, (its on the way) or 2) buy a another phone with a wifi hotspot, ie HTC Sensation, which i have confirmed will connect nicely to my TP.
    This will ease a lot of things, as i doubt i will ever see another HP phone.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    The simple reality is this...everyone has different needs and wants. For me the TouchPad is better. For others, the iPad will be better. To each his own. Can we stop bickering now?
    Amen
    So reading through this thread last night and today, I noticed a lot of "iPad2 has better hardware" comments. Well, if you really break everything down, the two are very similar.

Touchscreens- Well ironically, the Touchpad uses the same LG 9.7 1,024 by 768 pixel resolution touchscreen as the original iPad. The iPad2 uses a slightly improved version of the same LG 9.7 touchscreen.

I leave the rest for you to compare yourself. Below are links to the complete list of components of each device.

iPad2 GSM/HSPA and CDMA versions
    http://www.isuppli.com/PublishingIma..._iPad2_BOM.png

HP Touchpad 16 and 32gb versions
    http://www.isuppli.com/PublishingIma...P_Touchpad.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by sifon187 View Post
    So reading through this thread last night and today, I noticed a lot of "iPad2 has better hardware" comments. Well, if you really break everything down, the two are very similar.

Touchscreens- Well ironically, the Touchpad uses the same LG 9.7 1,024 by 768 pixel resolution touchscreen as the original iPad. The iPad2 uses a slightly improved version of the same LG 9.7 touchscreen.

I leave the rest for you to compare yourself. Below are links to the complete list of components of each device.

The real measure is in performance. Not generic specs. TP loses on that end.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    The real measure is in performance. Not generic specs. TP loses on that end.
    The problem with this statement is that "performance" is different for you and me. While you must be more concerned with a supper smooth displaying of ui objects, and the several seconds faster loading of non-flash websites that the iPad2 can do. I am more concerned with actual productivity, which means being able to keep a draft email open and seamlessly switch to the browser to look up something to include in that email, then finish and send. All while noticing I just got a notification for a Facebook status update and a new email that just came in.

As I said, what is important to you, may not be to me, and vice versa. If you don't like the TouchPad and webOS, and love iOS, then fine. Just stop coming over here and telling us iOS and the iPad2 are better. We either disagree or don't care.
    HansTWN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    For a short window, given that there's no body as of yet interested in licensing the OS or buying it, and there's no other devices in the pipeline that will run it. So while 1million people is a great number, if the OS itself isn't going to live on in other products, the 'success' is limited to the length of time these particular TouchPads survive in the wild. Which isn't going to be all that long.
    Well the key here is do people buy the OS or the brand...

You don't buy as ios device you buy an iPhone or an ipad... Android pads are all much of a muchness' and does anyone really think that Motorola/google won't be the key relationship in thatecosystem being as google paid $10bn for mobility. So if you're say Samsung, LG Or Amazon.. You need as OS that differentiates your product, so it's not just another android tab. Which kinda leaves Windows 8 for pads... Or Webos?
    My Palm Pre is tweakalicious! - Your iPhone is tweakaphobic!
    snip.. I am more concerned with actual productivity, which means being able to keep a draft email open and seamlessly switch to the browser to look up something to include in that email, then finish and send. All while noticing I just got a notification for a Facebook status update and a new email that just came in.
    This is a nothing example, it's possible to do exactly that on other mobile OSes. There's nothing unique or special about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    This is a nothing example, it's possible to do exactly that on other mobile OSes. There's nothing unique or special about that.
    1) I was talking about iOS, not dragging other OS's into this. 2) Perhaps the iOS email has been updated, but, historically, you couldn't just drop from the email and go to something else and come right back to it like you can in webOS. If that's changed, then, hey, let's welcome iOS to the era of modern OS's. Otherwise, my point stands. 3) You're just proving my point. If you don't care about this OS, why come here and start debates? This site is supposed to be here to help other users fully enjoy their experience by solving problems, finding apps/patches/work-arounds, and finding ways to get new apps and improvements implemented. Go read the forum rules and have a nice day.
    The problem with this statement is that "performance" is different for you and me. While you must be more concerned with a supper smooth displaying of ui objects, and the several seconds faster loading of non-flash websites that the iPad2 can do. I am more concerned with actual productivity, which means being able to keep a draft email open and seamlessly switch to the browser to look up something to include in that email, then finish and send. All while noticing I just got a notification for a Facebook status update and a new email that just came in.

As I said, what is important to you, may not be to me, and vice versa. If you don't like the TouchPad and webOS, and love iOS, then fine. Just stop coming over here and telling us iOS and the iPad2 are better. We either disagree or don't care.
    Honestly, the iPad provides more productivity too. the TouchPad has a lack of productivity apps and the ones it has are woefully inadequate. And everything you mentioned can be done on Android or iOS as well. Drafting an email and opening the browser to copy and paste something in is a basic feature, while still getting new emails etc, is not something unique to the TouchPad. Not in the slightest.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianmr65 View Post
    Well the key here is do people buy the OS or the brand...

You don't buy as ios device you buy an iPhone or an ipad... Android pads are all much of a muchness' and does anyone really think that Motorola/google won't be the key relationship in thatecosystem being as google paid $10bn for mobility. So if you're say Samsung, LG Or Amazon.. You need as OS that differentiates your product, so it's not just another android tab. Which kinda leaves Windows 8 for pads... Or Webos?
    Well right now there's nobody showing interest in picking up webOS. So again, it's only (as of now) going to last as long as these TouchPads survive. Maybe that will change, but there's nothing right now to indicate that. It'd be cool if someone picked it up as we all win if more OSes survive, but that remains to be seen.
    1) I was talking about iOS, not dragging other OS's into this. 2) Perhaps the iOS email has been updated, but, historically, you couldn't just drop from the email and go to something else and come right back to it like you can in webOS. If that's changed, then, hey, let's welcome iOS to the era of modern OS's. Otherwise, my point stands. 3) You're just proving my point. If you don't care about this OS, why come here and start debates? This site is supposed to be here to help other users fully enjoy their experience by solving problems, finding apps/patches/work-arounds, and finding ways to get new apps and improvements implemented. Go read the forum rules and have a nice day.
    That feature has been around for years so not sure what version of iOS you're commenting on, but it's woefully outdated.

Also, yes, this forum is to solve problems, find patches/etc, and finding ways to get improvements implemented. You do that by addressing the problems and shortfalls and pointing them out. Not by pretending that it's running better than Android and iOS and has a ton of features that are unique to it. I like my TouchPad purchase, but my eyes are wide open when it comes to what it can or can't do in comparison to other OSes. This product and OS feels like a beta release in every way. I'm down for getting it fixed and supporting it, but that takes honest critique, not glossing over the problems and hyping it up.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    You can draft an email in iOS and switch in and out between apps. The draft will remain. Maybe you're thinking of iOS 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by sifon187 View Post

They are similar but the iPad eclipse the Touchpad in terms of performance. iOS is 10x way more optimized than webOS.

I loaded Asphalt5 racing game on my Touchpad and it was so ugly and pixelated, it wasn't even funny. Load up a HD racing game on the iPad 1 or iPad 2, and it is like comparing the 1st generation Sony Play station to a PS3 or XBOX 360.

When you drag an slide mp4 movies, there is a 15-45 second delay on webOS. It gets to a point of being annoying.
    While nobody has the exact number, a lot of sources have basically confirmed that Android tablets aren't moving.
    .........What are you saying...??

If I even had the chance of an inkling that Android Tablet's prices were about to drop, I would BUST THROUGH Best Buy's Doors like a caped crusader and pick those tablets clean like a carcass in the desert sun! I'm already barking!

You thought you saw a fire sale..that'd be a hell sale..WW3, someone would get hurt.

Should I be on the prowl??
    Nothing in my post says anything negative about webos. That's your imagination. I just stated your example is not unique. Your scenario was poor example of showing webos multitasking advantages over ios. webos multiasking is greater than that.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 09/15/2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    .........What are you saying...??

If I even had the chance of an inkling that Android Tablet's prices were about to drop, I would BUST THROUGH Best Buy's Doors like a caped crusader and pick those tablets clean like a carcass in the desert sun! I'm already barking!

You thought you saw a fire sale..that'd be a hell sale..WW3, someone would get hurt.

Should I be on the prowl??
    Keep an eye out on the Amazon tablet release. If they decide to go the 'sell at a loss and make it up on funneling buyers through Amazon.com' route, they're going to set the new price bar for Android tablets.
    What u should have brought up is iOS's inability to add an attachment to an e-mail. That is, unless you jailbreak the iPad, in which case you can.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    What u should have brought up is iOS's inability to add an attachment to an e-mail. That is, unless you jailbreak the iPad, in which case you can.

Of course you can have an attachment in ipad email. Whst are yiu talking about?
    You can't 'add' an attachment to an email... such as a pdf or word file.
    you can send pics from your photo album but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Of course you can have an attachment in ipad email. Whst are yiu talking about?
    Last edited by donm527; 09/15/2011 at 11:24 PM.