Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    The simple reality is this...everyone has different needs and wants. For me the TouchPad is better. For others, the iPad will be better. To each his own. Can we stop bickering now?
    Exactly, even if the iPad is better from a technical point of view, the Touchpad can be better suited to a particular person's needs or way of working.
    Why is every post I make responding to people being deleted? I'm not allowed to respond to people now? Absolutely NOTHING I said was off topic as I was responding directly to a person who had responded to me. Absolutely nothing I said was insulting. Those are the two reasons mods have given for deleting a half dozen other posts of mine. WTH. I spent a good amount of time writing that response last night and look today and its just deleted exactly as I predicted.

Well Loccy, sorry but the mods won't let me respond to you like you responded to me. Wrote a nice long response to you but apparently the mods are deleting any post I make that mentions that other OS that starts with A. Makes no sense to me but I guess its their forum so they can abuse their power all they want.
    Last edited by muyoso; 09/13/2011 at 11:06 AM.
    NuclearWinter and finngirl like this.
    I read your post before it disappeared and I have no idea why it would have been deleted. Very disappointing to see as it certainly didn't seem "insulting" to me. I'm not sure why yours was deleted and not the guy you responded to.
    For $99 I'm happy to have limited video playback, a laggy experience (even after patching and overclocking), and the ability to surf somewhat more of the internet than I can on the iPad (The Touchpad has flash but still can't handle quite a few websites so it's not like you're getting a "full" internet experience on there either...just like the iPad). But that's at the closeout price. At the original target price this thing is a piece of ****, I can't believe reviewers at the time were as kind to this as they were.
    muyoso likes this.
    But can anyone answer this question: What would have been the future of the Touchpad? In the gadget world, you have to have foresight. Or you will end up being outdated every time. Everyone knows that they're just buying a Touchpad to hold them over for the real tablets. Consider the Touchpad an appetizer.

Besides who takes HP seriously after this little fiasco? LMAO..!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpaul View Post
    , I also own a TP. And I have been using that way more than than iPad. Why? Because while it has less apps, it *does* have apps. Maybe less is more in this regard, the apps I use are fine for what they are. I also find the TP simply to be more practical. I like the way it multitasks. WebOS is wonderful allowing me to run up multiple apps at the same time. Its fun to swipe apps off the screen hehe. I love the way it handles email, Synergy etc. My Pre 3 lets me SMS and handle voice calls through it. In return, my Pre 3 acts as a Mobile Hotspot for my TP when I need on the go internet access when Wifi isn't available. All in all, I am very happy and satisfied
    Here in the UK, a sim free 32gb 3g ipad2 is nearly $1000 dollars, add a data plan, and you are looking at another $20 a month-.. Add an iphone, $500 + 24 months at $50-$60 total cost of ownership is $3500... Add cost of apps...??

touchpad $200 + pre 3 $15 per month for 18 months 300 mins and 250mb data + unlimited texts all in $470 dollars...

So touchpad and pre3 get to go with you to the Caribbean... Whilst the iPad & iphone stay at home cos you can't afford a vacation this year?
    My Palm Pre is tweakalicious! - Your iPhone is tweakaphobic!
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    You forgot that a few weeks ago they were the same price? Difference is one had dismal sales causing it to be canned while the other is actually making a profit . The touchpad will go down in history as one of the biggest product flops.
    The touchpad has the 2nd largest userbase in the tablet market, at well over a million users, HP are committing to software and services AND to supporting and developing webOS, which is the second biggest OS in the tablet market.... If amazon launch a tablet it will be priced at $250 which is below manufacturing cost & currently rumoured to be 7 inch screen, single processor, and a cut down android os....if it flies... I'd expect a higher spec Kindle tablet + webos..?.
    You go on and hold on to those commitments and I highly doubt the tp is number 2. No one knows exactly how many pads were made but the fact that they were willing to just give them away makes me believe it wasn't that many to begin with. Why on earth would you make a million of a product with such uncertainty.
    To be fair, most anyone who has looked at the situation impartially, while not saying the TP was a lock to be successful, sees the biggest problem with its success was the utter lack of direction at HP.

Exhibit #1 - they sell out for 99 dollars but profiteers can sell them successfully at $250.00 and more.

Could name many more examples but, you've probably aware of them.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Why on earth would you make a million of a product with such uncertainty.
    Cos you can't do a global launch unless you do..

Samsung have shipped 2 millon galaxy tablets.. and sold about 200,000.. HP have SOLD their entire inventory.. best buy alone had 270,000 TP units, and HP will sell the extra 200,000 or possibly more currently being produced..

The touchpad has the second highest tablet user base. HP have lost a lot of money.. BUT they have a very large user base...

No one thinks that anyone except apple with its messianic user base will make money on tablets at $500 -$600..and will have to sell under cost, and rely on content sales (like the kindle reader, and soon to be launched kindle tablet and so on)

HP, with a million + user base and the ability to license webOS to any hardware manufacturer it likes, could yet have the last chuckle..
    Last edited by ianmr65; 09/13/2011 at 07:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    And so many of us who already appreciate the device, but cannot get our hands on one! GRRRRR!
    Is that you want a firesale touchpad ot just a touchpad Ina general? Seems like if you really want a touchpad and really support webos you'd buy one off eBay. If all you wNt is a firesale touchpad then you are/were part of the problem with the touchpad lack of success.
    How do you know how many galaxy s were sold? Seems like everyone wants to pull numbers out their rear end with no proof whatsoever.

Come on be serious. Who would want to license Webos? There is win 7 now win 8 and android with tons of apps. The maker couldn't sell Webos devices and went up for sale. The buyer couldn't sell them . Why on earth would a 3rd party try to sell them?
    While nobody has the exact number, a lot of sources have basically confirmed that Android tablets aren't moving. The price level that was good for the TouchPad was $300, as that price point moved all units that were at that price when Staples had that coupon on top of the HP sale. HP's moronic CEO wasn't happy with being the number 2 brand but number 3 tablet OS after just a month or so. He went off, and then the fire sale occurred, and the TouchPad is generally considered the number 2 tablet and OS on the market now.

HP could have probably done close to this just selling the 16GB at $300 and the 32GB at $350 and built up a big base without losing much money. But they didn't, and now they seem to be rudderless. Rest assured, the numbers from various sources put the TouchPad sales at around 1 million or more. Best Buy alone had ordered 270k, and they are all sold out. HP had these things in every retailer imaginable, many of which weren't even listed on their sight (Sears, Arron's Rent To Own, etc...). HP really blew this opportunity bad. If they had simply sold the thing at the right price, and followed up next month with the 7" TouchPad Go, we could easily be looking at 2-3 million webOS tablet users by the end of the year. Not too mention how many Pre 3's might have sold.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I don't think you realize just how bad Webos is compared to whats out there. Consumers aren't stupid. The thing runs slow, apps lack polish and features plus most of them are ugly. The web browser is lacking and there are no alternatives just that advance that cost 2.99 which is the stock browser in a different shell. Those paying over $200 are probably Webos fans or because its going extinct they feel the need to get one.

Hp is just too late and playing catch up at this point seems pointless.
    muyoso, cashmonee and zc1 like this.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    My whole thing is I could never justify paying $400 + for ANY tablet. For that amount of money you can get a decent laptop with way more functionality.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    HP's moronic CEO wasn't happy with being the number 2 brand but number 3 tablet OS after just a month or so. He went off, and then the fire sale occurred, and the TouchPad is generally considered the number 2 tablet and OS on the market now.
    At what cost? Being number two is great, if you are making money on each sale. Heck, Apple is, what, the 3rd or 4th largest PC maker by volume, but by far the most profitable. However, being number two means nothing if you can't turn a decent profit off of it, which at the price points being thrown around, hp couldn't.

HP is transitioning into the much more lucrative corporate software and services market. There is a ton more money to be made there than in the consumer hardware market, Apple excluded.

**EDIT** Almost forgot. After having the Touchpad for a few weeks now, it spends most of its time as a nice clock (thanks SimpleClock!) and occasional iPad replacement when the iPad is not around. Anyone who thinks the Touchpad is even close to the same level of quality as an iPad is clearly wearing webOS-colored glasses. Not to be mean, but you can't objectively state the two are in the same league.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twosted View Post
    My whole thing is I could never justify paying $400 + for ANY tablet. For that amount of money you can get a decent laptop with way more functionality.
    Unless that laptop weighs 700g, has a detachable touchscreen and a 10 hour battery life they don't really seem that comparable to me. They are different devices with different pros and cons.

Personally I'd be happier to sacrifice the power and greater flexibility of a laptop for a device that can do pretty much everything I'd want it to do in far more comfort, in a way that I find more appealing. I don't think the Touchpad is a very good tablet for reasons I've voiced elsewhere, but I've still found browsing on it to be a more enjoyable experience than I ever have on a laptop. That's just me though.

I'm still likely to buy a full price tablet once the next generation of devices hit the market next year, with the hope that putting Android on the Touchpad will last me until then.
    zc1 and cashmonee like this.
    Because of the apps, the iPad is a better device than the Touchpad, but I never would pay $500 for either. I was looking at the Touchpad because I have a Veer. I saw them selling for $300 in select sales and thought, "better watch for one of those around Christmas". HP would have had my money at a small profit had they had a little patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianmr65 View Post
    The touchpad has the 2nd largest userbase in the tablet market, at well over a million users, HP are committing to software and services AND to supporting and developing webOS, which is the second biggest OS in the tablet market.

For a short window, given that there's no body as of yet interested in licensing the OS or buying it, and there's no other devices in the pipeline that will run it. So while 1million people is a great number, if the OS itself isn't going to live on in other products, the 'success' is limited to the length of time these particular TouchPads survive in the wild. Which isn't going to be all that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashmonee View Post

**EDIT** Almost forgot. After having the Touchpad for a few weeks now, it spends most of its time as a nice clock (thanks SimpleClock!) and occasional iPad replacement when the iPad is not around. Anyone who thinks the Touchpad is even close to the same level of quality as an iPad is clearly wearing webOS-colored glasses. Not to be mean, but you can't objectively state the two are in the same league.
    had to chime in here. I own 3 iPads (2 of which are ipad2's) and the 32gb TP. After patching, updating, lots of code updates I have found thanks to this forum, I am quite pleased with how well the TP performs. It's the sheer lack of apps that keeps me on my iPad2 for the majority of the time. But every single day, I'm reviewing preware looking for new updates, much as I do with the iPad and Cydia.

While I am partial to Apple products, I only own HP and Apple in my household. HP desktop, printers and the TP. That said, I do truely believe the TP is the second best tablet on the market 'after' you upgrade it to 1.5ghz and increase touch sensitivity, download advnaced browser (wish Atomic would port their web browser over), stop the logging, etc... And once we get a dual boot TP with Android, I think the TP could be the better of the two, with my iPad taking a backseat.

I'll admit to becoming a Touchpad convert. I really do like it and hope software development continues.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearWinter View Post
    Unless that laptop weighs 700g, has a detachable touchscreen and a 10 hour battery life they don't really seem that comparable to me. They are different devices with different pros and cons.

Personally I'd be happier to sacrifice the power and greater flexibility of a laptop for a device that can do pretty much everything I'd want it to do in far more comfort, in a way that I find more appealing. I don't think the Touch pad is a very good tablet for reasons I've voiced elsewhere, but I've still found browsing on it to be a more enjoyable experience than I ever have on a laptop. That's just me though.

I'm still likely to buy a full price tablet once the next generation of devices hit the market next year, with the hope that putting Android on the Touch pad will last me until then.
    Yes, a tablet has advantages over a laptop, most based around portability. But a laptop has many advantages over a tablet as well. I still can not justify paying that much money for the portability factor. I just don't have the expendable income to do so. So when it came into my price range I grabbed one. And if it was still $400 I wouldn't own one today.

Now, that being said (pay attention because this is going to sound totally contradicting to my first statement), since I got the Touch pad I have used my laptop 3 maybe 4 times. And each time it was to do something with my Touch pad (install WebOSQI, Doctored it once, etc.). So I do realize the value of the features a tablet offers. But the price point right now is too high for me.
    I guess I got carried away by the idea of getting one for next to nothing. I never really wanted a tablet, and I was never sure what Iíd do with one if I had one. Now that I do have one, and Iíve finished fiddling around, installing patches, and setting it up, Iím back to wondering what Iím going to do with it (other than play Angry Birds).

Itís not as smooth to use as Iíd have hoped, even with the patches applied. The browser isnít very good. Thereís painfully few HD versions of webOS apps to use. I guess one good point is that I can use my phone as a wireless hotspot, and take the touchpad with me to the coffee shop or whatever. ButÖ Iím not sure what Iíd need/want to do on the internet while Iím out and about that I canít do on my phone.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast