Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    It does seem to me that people who claim the TouchPad is objectively better than the iPad are just fooling themselves. That said though, there's nothing that says you have to prefer or pick the objectively better product. You are free to say the inferior product is still the one you prefer, and that doesn't make you an *****. I wanted a TouchPad when it was the same price as the iPad2. I gave no consideration at all to the possibility of buying an iPad2. At the time though I didn't have $600, nor $500 with which to purchase a toy. A useful toy, but a toy nonetheless.
    I never get this thought that tablets are toys. If a tablet is a toy, then so is a cell phone or a computer for that matter.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    dong1225 likes this.
    tablets are largely toys so far because there's little business use for them. I very much LIKE having my TouchPad, but there's nothing business related I can do on it that I can't do just as well or better on my computer or smartphone. for business my computer is simply indispensible, I couldn't do my job without it. likewise the 'phone' part of my smartphone is absolutely mandatory. the 'smart' part of my smartphone is somewhat more of a business luxury - I do business things with it, and it makes many things easier, but I could get by without it if I had to. the touchpad however serves no unique business purpose at all. it's a toy. that may change soon though, if/when certain apps become available.
    I think all the iPad users are just bummed cause they spent so much money and really don't have a significantly better product.

Yes, I'm sure we will here from all of them defending their holy grail product.

It's ok ... the majority of people have multiple devices and the TP works just fine to do 95% of what we need in a mobile device. AND I get to take that other $500 to the bank ! LOL
    lol - some of you really need a dose of reality. where was all the praise about a better product a couple weeks back, when HP was selling it for the same price as an iPad? The TP is great value.... scratch that... one hell of a fantastic value @ 99 / 149. Only an ***** would disagree.

I'm mostly in the apple ecosystem, I have an iMac / mbp / iPhone / iPad - All used for different purposes. I do a lot of work on a widows notebook too, and am an owner of an Asus Eee pad Transformer. Ive been chasing to get the TP when the firesale happened, and finally got my hands on it.

the OS, isn't too bad at all, i'm impressed. Was going to hold on to it until there's a chance to run Android on it, but really, webOS is pretty nice.

for the OP who was chuckling, there are a million other apple and even android users that are chuckling back. It took a firesale to unload their product. They lost a lot of money on it and looks like some serious knuckleheads with all the marketing blitz that was spent to advertise the TP.

for those who want to knock apple and call it overpriced, they've been pretty steady @ 499. Most of the android tablets when introduced to the market were priced higher then 499. I think for what it does, and can do, 499 is price pointed in the right area.

trying to not sound like a ******, i do recognize that there are a lot of flaws to apple and how they do things, but they've always had a great way to innovate / and introduce a lot of things that have gotten us to where we are. Sure smartphones existed prior to the iPhone, and tablet based laptops also were around pre-ipad; but imo, they were never marketed correctly and didn't live up to its ideas.
    Last edited by nigo; 09/11/2011 at 08:01 PM.
    DeadVim and dong1225 like this.
    people should consider what they want to do with the device before buying. Tp does everything I wanted in a tablet, but I will not spend $500 on any tablet. At that price you can get a laptop which allows you to do real work, like writing a thesis or doing scientific analysis.

if both iPad and TP were both $149, I will choose iPad. But it isn't so there is no comparison.

having used my dads iPad before, I must say web surfing experience is better on TP. That is a huge pro, since surfing is probably 60-70% of the time what I use a tablet for.

the good thing is, the popularity of cheap tablets should help start reducing the price of other tablets competing with iPad.
    nigo and dabombcra like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimitoBond View Post
    people should consider what they want to do with the device before buying. Tp does everything I wanted in a tablet, but I will not spend $500 on any tablet. At that price you can get a laptop which allows you to do real work, like writing a thesis or doing scientific analysis.

if both iPad and TP were both $149, I will choose iPad. But it isn't so there is no comparison.

having used my dads iPad before, I must say web surfing experience is better on TP. That is a huge pro, since surfing is probably 60-70% of the time what I use a tablet for.

the good thing is, the popularity of cheap tablets should help start reducing the price of other tablets competing with iPad.
    I agree with you. The TouchPad for me does everything I want it to do. I have a 64gb iTouch that has apps I use weekly. Mainly my banking apps. Do I miss those on the TouchPad, of course, but the TouchPad with Secustore works and is more secure. I have a $400 touch faucet in my kitchen. Again, this type of faucet is for some and not for all. I paid $569 for my TouchPad. I have no regrets or feel cheated. Would I rather have paid $150, ah yeah!

Just like with anything we buy, one has to decide what they want that product to do for them. I get tired of hearing so many people complain and then wonder why we don't have the developers. I'm just venting. I have been reading a lot about the iPad vs TouchPad. It never will be an iPad. It is just the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cord View Post
    Well, I have 2 Touchpad 32's and a lPad 64, no cracks in the lPad case yet in its 15 months of use but I have hairline cracks at the speaker ports on the touchpads.....
    Go figure !

efff..... I just looked at mine and I have a harline crack strting from one of my speakers too. damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by iWannaBeAdored View Post
    This has NOTHING on my iPad 2. The HP TouchPad for me still feels slower to use and the laggy-scrolling really annoys me even though I have overclocked to 1.5GHz and installed all the patches. It's a good tablet I guess but I can't believe people actually think it's a far better tablet than the iPad.

Edit: Having Steve Jobs as my profile photo isn't going to help my case at all...
    yea but for the price the touchpad clowns on the ipad...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    We can all only hope that once all the dust settles (i.e. after the next fire sale?) that the people who really don't appreciate the TP (Hardware and/or OS) will move them on to the people that do.
    They seem to be doing that now on a daily basis on e-bay. I'm seeing locally on craigslist.
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
    i mean, let's be honest here... that's like saying,

'yea but for the price the hyundai clowns on the bmw'

to add... i have nothing against hyundais... i think they are great cars for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    Not really. You could say the Touchpad is now worth the price but it doesn't really, negatively, effect the iPad in any way.

I'm sure a few Android tablet makers are ready to slit their wrists and the Playbook is huddled in the corner now, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i mean, let's be honest here... that's like saying,

'yea but for the price the hyundai clowns on the bmw'

to add... i have nothing against hyundais... i think they are great cars for the price.
    lol i guess. i am admittedly a mac hater
    lol, that's cool... for some reason i have never been much of a bmw fan myself.

lol i guess. i am admittedly a mac hater
    Clearly not if HP had to sell them for $99 to get rid of them. It's still better than any Android tablet I've used, but the iPad 2 is just a superior tablet, in my opinion. Everything feels quicker, fantastic selection of apps and a simple OS.

Still enjoying using the TouchPad though, with a little help from patches and overclocking.
    iPhone 4 16GB Black | iPad 2 WiFi 32GB Black
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    I have both and use both. I was offered an iPad 2 for work purposes, tried to get a Touchpad instead....but the VPN and Citrix apps will not work with our enterprise data system, and I can't even log into our secure wireless because of the well-documented enterprise wireless failures. OTOH I have had a Pre since launch, love it and love WebOS and have been waiting patiently for a Sprint WebOS phone which is now definitely not coming. I like the TP,once it's been patched and tweaked. But the things that it's missing destroy a comparison with an iPad 2. The browser is awful. About half the pages I need to access won't work completely (just try to do a search on this very website with it). The absurd thing is that Safari is one the weaknesses of the iPad in my opinion. Just try easily getting rid of a webpage. The TP has some definite advantages (flash, albeit buggy, access to Hulu with a patch as iPad users have to pay for Hulu Plus, and most importantly the cards), but it lacks a functional browser, VNP, any valid enterprise utility, access to some excellent apps (among the chaff and fart apps) in the Apple store, and most importantly, solid sturdy hardware. Cracks, sinking glass, larger size (which does make a difference if you include the HP case with the TP, it is huge compared to an iPad 2 with the magnetic case)....yes, it's a great deal at the lower price, and it will serve my kids in grad school almost as well as an iPad 2...but it is not a better device overall, period. And it pains me to say that. If you've never used an iPad 2 for a period of time, you would have no basis for comparing, correct?
    itune is one major reason for me not to buy ipad. Freedom and flexibility is important to me. I don't like apple control too much on my tablet.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    i have both in my family. the Ipad is more friendly for my son, and the Touchpad is way more a big kids tablet, lol

I guess I cant say that, cause of the app store and my son knows exactly where to go for it and find his games, on the other hand, things like that arent on the TP which is fine for me and what I use it for. either way a tablet is a tablet. some are better then others, but for $99-149 this is a great buy, hell taking me and the better half to eat and a movie, is close to $100+ and i dont get to come home with anything exciting. (well thats a lie, after the movie usually gets exciting, but we know what i mean, lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehlab View Post
    itune is one major reason for me not to buy ipad. Freedom and flexibility is important to me. I don't like apple control too much on my tablet.
    I felt that way too; however, I have synced with iTunes exactly twice in 3 months, once intially which is required. While I don't like Apple restrictions philosophically, the TP is restricted by a still-in-progress OS, poor hardware and a lack of apps, but offers a fantastic homebrew effort and a commited community. Take your pick.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Yeah, but for existence as a product line, the iPad clowns on the Touchpad.
    The simple reality is this...everyone has different needs and wants. For me the TouchPad is better. For others, the iPad will be better. To each his own. Can we stop bickering now?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast