Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes
    so what. As states above, HP failed while Apple ownes this space, so laugh all you want, but the touchpad has probably one update left and then webOS will fade away. Sucks for all of us that love webOS. THANKS LEO - JACK HOLE.
    Ok - I am new to the TP world - in fact, I do not even have a TP in hand right now, so I have not been able to check it out too much. I read a lot of talk about a lack of apps on the TP. As someone who owns a 32GB iphone, I have to say I have a very low number of apps. I have very few games, and of the ones I actually play - Angry Birds and Words With Friends - I have not even played the former in weeks. I am more into educational tools.

As a tablet novice, what I would like to have is a full web browsing experience, something that will play my music files well (I have more music on my phone than anything - and sorry - but it is not like the i - music players are the best sounding out there), watch my extensive collection of old school kung ** joints, and read some e-books. I recently purchased a Nook Simple Touch, and I absolutely LOVE it - I find iOS boring as hell!

I plan to use my TP primarily as my in-home laptop to do all the things I need it to do. For a portable device, I am hoping to land my hands on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 - if only because it is smaller - lighter - and I love Samsung products! As for editing documents - and the full keyboard typing experience, productivity software, etc..., I much prefer to do these things on a desktop.

I guess since I am new to this - especially for $149 - with 50 GB of cloud space - and some of the other feature sets that the TP DOES have - I am really excited about joining the community of TP users. At this point, the only apps I can imagine missing on the TP are WWF and a Nook app. This issue of lacking apps - is really a non-issue for me, at least. If it becomes an issue - then I will move on to whatever meets my needs- perhaps a dual boot. Simple stuff, really!
    Last edited by Touchkeeper; 09/10/2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    so what. As states above, HP failed while Apple ownes this space, so laugh all you want, but the touchpad has probably one update left and then webOS will fade away. Sucks for all of us that love webOS. THANKS LEO - JACK HOLE.
    Yeah, I understand and with you on that. Went through the grieving process now at the acceptance stage. HP's decision was...<bleep>.

For now I'm enjoying it while I can. I'm not so emotionally invested in my tech that I'm going to let it set my mood. Also, the webOS community is bigger than ever at the moment which is nice, however webOS needs another manufacturer to step up soon if its to survive and not slip back further into obscurity.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Midway99 likes this.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    microsoft adds a 500kb patch to xp and it will fully run on a touchpad and all other mobile devices.
    hp releases some drivers and special oswebdoctorxp to make it possible to install xp.

then you will have the most advanced and fastest tablet on our ****ty planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    If it wasn't for HP, I never would have even bothered to think about getting a touch tablet. Tablets just weren't on my radar.

I would have bought a far more capable netbook for less money instead.

Thank you HP!
    Well said. My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    microsoft adds a 500kb patch to xp and it will fully run on a touchpad and all other mobile devices.
    hp releases some drivers and special oswebdoctorxp to make it possible to install xp.

then you will have the most advanced and fastest tablet on our ****ty planet.
    lolwut?

Getting windows xp running natively on arm architecture is -slightly- more in depth than a 500kb patch.

Linux, sure. Android? Of course. Windows xp? Only through an x86 emulator at drastically reduced performance, and I haven't heard of it actually being pulled off. They are working on potentially supporting arm with windows 8, but that's still off in the future.
    geeksquadkid likes this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor21 View Post
    I have had the $99 touchpad for a couple weeks now and I love it! It does all I need it to do and more....

Today I was at Target and saw the ipad for $499! and $599! and I had a good chuckle about that.
    I find it funny that you are happy that the touchpad and webos flopped so hard that they had to give the device away. This has to be the weirdest thing to happen in business in a long time. Company launches product then few weeks later cancels product due to dismal sales while at the same time launched an expensive marketing campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I find it funny that you are happy that the touchpad and webos flopped so hard that they had to give the device away. This has to be the weirdest thing to happen in business in a long time. Company launches product then few weeks later cancels product due to dismal sales while at the same time launched an expensive marketing campaign.
    I did not get that the OP is laughing about the "flopped" device and OS. I read it more like they find it ironic that the device that has been perceived of as not being worthy - is for her/his needs - very much more worthy than the over-priced iPad. It is the way I feel when people start talking about the greatness of iPods - when I know that Cowon, Samsung, Sansa, and even Sony all make far superior sounding mp3 players with greater functionality. At least, that is how I read the OP - I could be wrong.
    JaimitoBond and jmleese like this.
    It's a shame that so many TouchPads are in the hands of people who don't appreciate them!
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It's a shame that so many TouchPads are in the hands of people who don't appreciate them!
    And so many of us who already appreciate the device, but cannot get our hands on one! GRRRRR!
    Quote Originally Posted by iWannaBeAdored View Post
    This has NOTHING on my iPad 2. The HP TouchPad for me still feels slower to use and the laggy-scrolling really annoys me even though I have overclocked to 1.5GHz and installed all the patches. It's a good tablet I guess but I can't believe people actually think it's a far better tablet than the iPad.

Honestly, I think webOS itself is *overall* better than iOS - at least to me. I love the UI and the way you manage open applications. The Mail app deserves a mention too, as I think it's wonderful.

When using an iPad I really miss the sliding panels that allowed me to devote more screen real estate to specific content. I think iOS could use some improvement in this area.

The problem is that webOS has been saddled with some really subpar hardware and the app situation is pretty dire, honestly. Granted, it's much better than the Playbook and it's easier to find a quality app for webOS than it is for Linux but compared to iOS it just doesn't compute.

Conversely, iOS has an unbeatable app catalog and is running on good, solid hardware with the iPad. I don't feel like I'm going to break an iPad when I pick it up whereas I tend to handle the Touchpad with kid gloves.

iOS, also, has a company behind it that really cares about it and can devote major resources to its continued success. It's a shame webOS has been saddled with such bad luck. It's first parent had no money and it's foster-parent has no sense!

A dream, at this point, would be for Apple to gobble up webOS and use the best bits of it for iOS 6 - even if it was just some of the UI and bits of the Enyo frameworks it would be entirely worth it, IMO.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    And so many of us who already appreciate the device, but cannot get our hands on one! GRRRRR!
    We can all only hope that once all the dust settles (i.e. after the next fire sale?) that the people who really don't appreciate the TP (Hardware and/or OS) will move them on to the people that do.

It makes very little sense to hang onto a peice of kit you don't like especially if you can at least get your money back on eBay. Probably a bit more these days.

It's definitely a keeper for me even if I succumbed to the app temptation and shelled out for an iPad.
    techrox likes this.
  13. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I like WebOS, wish it was more complete, and wish that HP hadn't decided to scrap it. It's a very fun OS to use. I have an Android Tablet (Asus Transformer) as well as a Motorola Atrix with Laptop Dock, and my wife has an iPad. The TouchPad is *by far* the most fun-to-use (and frustrating-to-use) of all of the above devices.

I love the form factor -- yes, it's heavy and a finger-print magnet, but it feels absolutely perfect in my hands, and I really like the HP case. The display on the TP is beautiful, and the accessories (Touchstone and keyboard) are excellent. The fact that I can have two operating systems (WebOS and Ubuntu) on this one device is great. The addition of Android to the TouchPad would likely secure it a spot as my go-to tablet. WebOS + Ubuntu + Android on a single device? Wonderful.

Given how much I've been able to do with it and its additional potential now that Android is closer to being a reality, the $99/$150 price tags are absolute bargains for the 16/32 GB TouchPads.

Of the three devices, the iPad is at the bottom of my desirability list. That's not just anti-Apple talk. I have a Macbook Pro (previous generation) and had an iPhone 3G in the past. The iPad just doesn't offer the flexibility and practicality of the Transformer or the value (given the firesale pricing) of the TouchPad. For what I use my tablet to do, the deficiencies of the iPad are significant compared to those of the Transformer and TouchPad. The fact that the iPad can't render some websites that I need to use on a daily basis for my work outweighs the 5 billion apps that are available in the app store, and the ease-of-use of iTunes. A product that does 50 things really well, but doesn't do the two things that I absolutely need or the other 5 things that would also be convenient is not much use to me.

A huge part of the reason the TouchPad won me over despite being so disappointing out of the box (features-wise) is its potential. In stock form it's behind the competition in a lot of areas, but with the upgrades and tweaks available through Preware and the addition of Ubuntu, it's a whole different animal. The ongoing development for the WebOS platform from independent developers is also very nice to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    Some people would like to put Android on it because they can. Why not sample something new? Maybe if you try some other apps you might like them ... I don't understand people that shackle themselves to one thing, it's very limiting.

Regarding TP vs iPad, I am still considering getting a iPad because I have a lot of universal apps for my iPod Touch and the quality of some of the music-making apps is without debate outstanding.

Yes, the TP has been a great buy for me and will find a niche in my home but it doesn't preclude me from using something else or modifying it so I have the option of trying something new out with no risk to the original functionality. I'd be a fool not to.

webOS, iOS, Android, Windows 3.1 (!) ... I really couldn't give a monkey's if it gets me the functionality I want.

Naturally, this standpoint does not make for the usual level of OS/Platform forum debate so I will bow out here and go back to playing ThumbJam on my iThing which is sitting quite happily next to my TP.
    I'm going to agree with you. While I love my touchpad and webOS, the touchpad reminds me very much of the pre in some ways. For instance, it has the same pre plastic, which already has the hairline crack on side, it has (imho) more software issues then the pre, and still few apps. Don't get me wrong, but the point is having the options to something else make this tablet even more functional because we can experiment. I'm not really looking forward to gingerbread but honeycomb or ics sound awesome, and I truly hope HP updates this thing, atheist to have less issues and take full advantage of the CPU and GPU. This thing should run like butter but it doesn't and I'm starting to think html and JavaScript are horrible OS languages.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    If it wasn't for HP, I never would have even bothered to think about getting a touch tablet. Tablets just weren't on my radar.

I would have bought a far more capable netbook for less money instead.

Thank you HP!
    I own both a netbook and a TouchPad. While the netbook could indeed accomplish more, it did so in such a mediocre way that it was far from enjoyable. For example, reading my saved articles on Instapaper and checking Google Reader was a 'meh' experience on a netbook. But using Tea Reader and Paper Mache is something I actually look forward to every day. Being able to choose the orientation of the screen for comfortable reading and using swipes and gestures to navigate through the articles make it a very enjoyable experience.

While it's unfortunate that this firesale occurred, I probably would have never considered a tablet instead of a cheap laptop had it never reached below the $200 price point.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I'm going to agree with you. While I love my touchpad and webOS, the touchpad reminds me very much of the pre in some ways. For instance, it has the same pre plastic, which already has the hairline crack on side, it has (imho) more software issues then the pre, and still few apps. Don't get me wrong, but the point is having the options to something else make this tablet even more functional because we can experiment. I'm not really looking forward to gingerbread but honeycomb or ics sound awesome, and I truly hope HP updates this thing, atheist to have less issues and take full advantage of the CPU and GPU. This thing should run like butter but it doesn't and I'm starting to think html and JavaScript are horrible OS languages.
    Yeh, as I mentioned on another thread, I have 20 years of software development background so I welcome any opportunity to learn some new skills and this is partly the reason I picked up a TouchPad, because it is so open to development and tweaking.

(HTML/Javascript) I seems like a very strange combination of technologies to have at such a low-level in an operating system but I come from the days when every machine cycle counted (and the coding was done in C/C++) so I guess I need to move with the times a bit more

Time will tell if webOS has a future but the fact the TP was shipped with some fundamental issues with the apps and performance (obviously helped by some tweaks but what layman wants to do all that straight out of the box?) doesn't help the cause.
    @muyoso For example,Want to watch a movie over your network:

WebOS: Well, get ready to connect your tablet to your computer and start editing some code and then good luck getting any of the 2 (lol) video players to even see your mounted network share and godforbid if you want to add a new one.

I was going crazy figuring it out, then discovered orb flash works great. Install orb on pc with the movies, then go mycast.orb.com and watch it from there on the tp. Even lets your browse your whole pc for files to play. Works for mkv and every other movie type I have tried. It might be possible to go through your pc to find other videos on the network, I don't know but it may be possible.
    BAbnkr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    The Touchpad is an absolute steal at 99 dollars. But to the people who ask why put Android on this thing, I have to ask if they have any experience with Android at all.

Choice, customization, apps, etc.

For example,Want to watch a movie over your network:

WebOS: Well, get ready to connect your tablet to your computer and start editing some code and then good luck getting any of the 2 (lol) video players to even see your mounted network share and godforbid if you want to add a new one.

Android: Download Estrong file explorer and tap the top left arrow, tap LAN and tap the menu key and tap add. Fill in any passwords needed and you are done. Works, streams anything you want. Copy and paste files, etc. Or even simpler than above, download CIFSmanager which mounts your network shares so any file explorer can see them. After this grueling 2 minute setup then choose from an array of video player apps. Wait a second, what is this?? Oh yea, my native video player app plays every single file imaginable 720p and below, regardless if its in mp4, avi or mkv.

There are numerous other examples I could give, but it would take up the entire page.
    Lots of experience with all three OSes on tablets, so allow me to correct you. I've used all three tablets explicitly for a use case that encompasses online video plus XVID based content served from a media center. Have eventually settled on the Touchpad. Here's why:

iPad/iOS - two, count them, two apps that will play XVID or other common formats over a network (Buzz Player and AirPlayer). Both apps require a DNLA server, meaning you need to install software on a server machine. CIFS? Fat chance. More choice if you bin the whole network idea, at which point you have to engage with the delights of iTunes to get your files on the device. God forbid Apple let you just dump files on the device as you would a USB drive (so best of luck if you happen to be using someone else's computer). Or you could go with stock, and have to transcode everything you have.

Android - you're right to an extent, but you're missing a crucial point - first, root your device - otherwise, best of luck getting CIFS working with a stock kernel. Then, the same issue applies in terms of stock support for video formats unless your device is Samsung (and not all Samsungs). So you'll need an XVID capable third party player - of which there's many, all of which are pretty much identical (can someone tell me the difference between MoboPlayer and MX Player?). Stock kernel? There are DNLA/UPnP options available - but you're back to installing a dedicated server on your media machine.

Contrast the Touchpad. You either have to hack around with command line CIFS (how is this any different to the complexity of rooting an Android device?) or install a server app on your media server (no different to the other two platforms)

Let's now look at online video. IPad, well, that's a laugh. Android's Flash has given questionable results for me. In contrast, the Touchpad is the only device I've been able to play HD content from the BBC iPlayer smoothly.

In my book, no device has got video right yet - or not at least, video according to my use case - but once set up the TP ticks more of the boxes than the other two devices. That's why my two Android tablets are now up for sale.

obviously, your 2p's worth may vary - but that's my rationale.
    @ 599$ the ipad is the "better" device, unquestionably.

@ 100$-150$ the touchpad is an amazing value. It's a bit slower/less apps/less features than IOS, but for 500$ cheaper it does almost everything you could want a tablet to do and rocks some dead-serious hardware (that webos is famously crappy at taking advantage of).

And remember, once android is up and running on this device you will own the best hardware spec'ed android tablet on the market. Dual 1.5ghz-1.8ghz with a beautiful screen, nutty battery life, and a gig of ram? Lets bear in mind the galaxy tab is only a dual core 1ghz for example. This touchpad running android (especially once ics hits) will be running with the top-notch most powerful and expensive available android hardware for a year or more.

So yeah, webos might not be ideal, but for the money I am enjoying the hell out of it. It's performing every task I need it to flawlessly and I see an incredibly bright future for the device that will far exceed anything HP had planned for it . With the firesale we've gained some of the best homebrew devs out there. Much of the maemo community has came over and we're already seeing the benefits. Some of the biggest names in android tech and IOS hacking has come to the party and they're bringing the fun. It's only been a few weeks and already BIG things are happening. Fast forward 6 months and you're going to be blown away at just how incredible of a deal this touchpad was.
    It does seem to me that people who claim the TouchPad is objectively better than the iPad are just fooling themselves. That said though, there's nothing that says you have to prefer or pick the objectively better product. You are free to say the inferior product is still the one you prefer, and that doesn't make you an *****. I wanted a TouchPad when it was the same price as the iPad2. I gave no consideration at all to the possibility of buying an iPad2. At the time though I didn't have $600, nor $500 with which to purchase a toy. A useful toy, but a toy nonetheless.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast