Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    I've been a long time lurker here, but decided to start a thread given my situation.

Yesterday, I used my touchpad in the morning just fine. When I picked it up in the afternoon, it looked shut off and unresponsive. I've tried everything outlined in other threads: charged it overnight, power button, power + center for 15 seconds, power + center + volume up for 15 seconds. I checked the charger to make sure it is secure, and tried to run WebOS doctor, but my computer does not detect the device when i plug it in.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with HP and they finally decided that I need to send it in for repair.

My concern is that when I received the tablet, I installed the basic patches and overclocked to 1.5 ghz as outlined in the "getting started" sticky. Since I am unable to launch WebOS, I can't restore the unit back. I was wondering what folk's thoughts were about the impact of sending in an overclocked unit back to HP, given that it technically voids the warranty.
    I guess that depends. If they are able to bring it back to life then they will be able to tell you o/c'd it.

If they can't then I guess they'll never know you tampered with it.

I've heard of similar situations with Apple and iPhones/iPod Touches. They had been jailbroken and then died. Apple apparently couldn't resurrect them and just sent out replacements.

Another thing worth considering is the HP have been pretty big supporters of the homebrew scene. If my memory serves me correctly they even donated some servers to webOS-Internals. I would take a guess that if they are going to support the homebrew scene they wouldn't penalize us for using the homebrew software and patches.

Of course, I don't have first hand experience of dealing with HP in a warranty repair situation so I can't give you a definitive answer. Maybe someone else here can....
    They won't mind you using patches and the like, but technically custom kernels will void a warranty.

But if the device isn't bootable it's unlikely they'll know one was installed.
    did you attempt a proper recovery-mode doctor?

it's certainly possible that the hardware failed, but most reporting a TP that won't turn on eventually recovers. Mine did it twice and recovered both times. Once by holding down power and home buttons while plugged in to the charger, and once by doctoring.

in both cases it seemed to happen after I let the battery run completely dead. It can take 5 or 10 minutes for it to charge enough to power up when that happens.

mobile batteries shouldn't be allowed to drain completely, but sometimes I fall asleep watching video and it runs night until the battery is empty.

give those options a try before returning it, especially if you have an overclocked kernel installed.
    fxspec06 likes this.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the responses.

I tried the power + home while plugged into charger with no response.

I can't even get the touchpad in recovery mode since it doesn't show any sign of life. Even though I can't get a response from the unit, I've tried WebOS doctor using two different computers, a PC and a mac. On the mac, it does not even detect the device when I connect. On the PC, the computer detects that something was plugged into the USB, but the driver installation fails, and webos doctor doesn't recognize that i've plugged in.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Otherwise, I will be counting on HP not being able to bring it back to life and figure out I overclocked.
    did you leave the wall charger plugged in for a long time (several hours)?

also, can you confirm that the wall charger and cable are working? We've seen a few of those fail.
    fxspec06 likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Yes, I charged it overnight last night, but there was no response from the unit. Cable and charger were working prior, and I can confirm that the charger is locked into place (I found out that it can disassemble into two pieces). I have a touchstone as well, and have tried to charge using it, and then switched wall units (used the touchstone wall unit with the USB cable). no response
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndsind1 View Post
    I've been a long time lurker here, but decided to start a thread given my situation.

Yesterday, I used my touchpad in the morning just fine. When I picked it up in the afternoon, it looked shut off and unresponsive. I've tried everything outlined in other threads: charged it overnight, power button, power + center for 15 seconds, power + center + volume up for 15 seconds. I checked the charger to make sure it is secure, and tried to run WebOS doctor, but my computer does not detect the device when i plug it in.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with HP and they finally decided that I need to send it in for repair.

My concern is that when I received the tablet, I installed the basic patches and overclocked to 1.5 ghz as outlined in the "getting started" sticky. Since I am unable to launch WebOS, I can't restore the unit back. I was wondering what folk's thoughts were about the impact of sending in an overclocked unit back to HP, given that it technically voids the warranty.

had the exact same issue and mine was also overlooked and I was unable to change it back before sending it in but they sent me a new one with no issue so don't worry about it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jace985 View Post
    had the exact same issue and mine was also overlooked and I was unable to change it back before sending it in but they sent me a new one with no issue so don't worry about it.
    good to know. thanks!
    mine been in the center since sept. 1 and no one knows the status of it after 8-9 calls in a week. they said it was to ship yesterday and today it is still in the repair center
    when did you send it in and how long before you got it back