Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    "And let's face it, applications are everything when it comes to tablets." Seriously? This came from a Phonedog writer. Wow! *<rolled eyes and face palm here>

This is after his point on people wanting Android on it. Um, aren't people whining for more apps there also?

Are TouchPad buyers having buyer's remorse yet? | PhoneDog
    People will always want more, it's the way our society works. I bet everyone here (who uses one) uses only one program on their washing machine, but would anybody buy a machine that had only one program on it?
    leobloom likes this.
    Apps ARE 90% of what the tablet can offer. Imagine a toolbox without tools. What good is that?

My ASUS transformer allows me to do anything I need from it. My iPad allows for about 90%, but it's not as "smooth" to use as a business tool. The touchpad, I estimate, will allow me to only 70% of the stuff I need, so I'll still have to fall back to the transformer or iPad to get all my work done.

I am crossing my fingers that the touchpad will allow me to do everything the transformer allows, but I'm not holding my breath.

Apps are hugely important, in my opinion.
    magnets and shaffaaf27 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I would say the touchoad is missing lots of essential apps. My buddy has an eee transformer and out of the box the thing is fast, comes with an excellent ereader, upnp support , fully functioning office suite etc etc. Webos does not need 10,000 apps but at least cover the basics. The quality of the Webos apps are also rather poor.
    The TP is fast, comes with an excellent ereader and a fully functioning office suite.
    TravisAntonio and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    The TP is fast, comes with an excellent ereader and a fully functioning office suite.
    No it doesn't.

The TP is pretty fast though.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    The TP is pretty fast though.
    ... at least after you installed loads of preware patches and clocked it to 1.5 ghz...
    I installed ubuntu for whatever else I needed in terms of doc editing and reading, small price to pay for having freedom, not feeling like some co is relying on knowing my browsing habits to make their money, not having to hook up to itunes. And the extra $400 in my pocket isn't too shabby either.

edit: between the pre apps and the touchpad apps, I must have over 100 installed on the device, use less than 10 regularly.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by werkx View Post
    "And let's face it, applications are everything when it comes to tablets." Seriously? This came from a Phonedog writer. Wow! *<rolled eyes and face palm here>

This is after his point on people wanting Android on it. Um, aren't people whining for more apps there also?

Are TouchPad buyers having buyer's remorse yet? | PhoneDog
    without mindless apps why would such people have a tablet?

can't read
    Can't surf

Apps

what are these users 12 yrs old?
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by ro0f View Post
    ... at least after you installed loads of preware patches and clocked it to 1.5 ghz...
    What's wrong with that? A less than half an hour process, that is available to all for free. Literally anyone that can follow steps, can follow the process of installing homebrew. It's like laying a pot of gold on the ground and saying here, take it, no really take it. Weighs a good bit but if you are willing to haul it back to you place you can have it. Anyone who buys a Touchpad and craves speed will find it, for anyone else- straight out of the box TP will be fine. Especially if you paid 100-150 bucks for it. I mean really, when I first booted up my TP I was happy with it, I was good with the purchase I made before I installed any patches or swapped Kernels. However, I was already well aware of the patches and OC, it was something I had planned on doing before I even had the TP in my hands.

I don't get what everyone *****es about. I have seen some negative post about the TP that are completely unjustified. It's like everyone wants to jump on the ****-flinging bandwagon JUST BECAUSE. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means but I wouldn't say any tablet is perfect or even close to it.

Applications are not everything, I don't even use my ipad anymore because I'm in love with my TP. The way I can operate around the OS and through apps really is lovely. The amount of useless apps on ios and android is ridiculous and even when I do find one I like I rarely use it. There is one app I need on my TP and that is a solid remote desktop app, fortunately that is on the way in the form of Splashtop. I'm set.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finecismad View Post

Applications are not everything, I don't even use my ipad anymore because I'm in love with my TP. The way I can operate around the OS and through apps really is lovely. The amount of useless apps on ios and android is ridiculous and even when I do find one I like I rarely use it. There is one app I need on my TP and that is a solid remote desktop app, fortunately that is on the way in the form of Splashtop. I'm set.
    I would say there are a lot more useless apps on webos and barely anything useful that is of high quality. Find me a quality ereader for WebOS. I m really shocked at the poor quality of the WebOS apps and the laggy UI.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Well as far as the reviewer goes he has a right to his opinion. I for one have always been an apple fan and there are many people who dislike things about apple. When the touchpad went to $99 i bought one. Did i need it? No. I must say i loved the touchpad so much that i bought a pre 2. When the iphone 5 comes out will i buy it? Yes. Point is webOS fills my needs with things likes not needing to convert videos and having patches to make my phone the way i want it. Both apple and webOS provide things I want and lack things I need. I think sometimes people expect everything to do everything and that simply doesnt happen and thats why there are choices. I love my ipad 2. I love my touchpad and the software on both also. I wouldnt even think about the new iphone if they had released the pre 3 on verizon. That bigger screen is so enticing nowadays. Thats the one thing i think that hp dropped the ball on bigtime. On a side note still being relatively new the community here and how people help and communicate is night and day compared to android and apple forums. Dont get me wrong people help but it always ends up like the story this thread is about with the this vs that argument. Sorry about the rant lol
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Find me a quality ereader for WebOS.
    Before anyone can do that, you better define what you mean by quality ereader. I just use pReader, and it does everything I need, so that's quality as far as my needs are concerned. What are your requirements?
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Before anyone can do that, you better define what you mean by quality ereader. I just use pReader, and it does everything I need, so that's quality as far as my needs are concerned. What are your requirements?
    Preader does not open a single book for me. Got it to open one book so far and turning pages was extremely slow and yes I got the alpha version from preware. Looks like it is only able to handle books with text only. There is nothing wrong with the books either because they open without issue on my android phone. Sometimes I even have it read the book for me. Now that's a quality app.
    Preader has opened pdb, epub (with pictures) html and mobi for me without any problems from the same stash of books I use in Aldiko on my Android (barring the pdb/mobi)
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    What is the fully functional office suite called? I can only find quick office on my touchpad and that is junk in its current state.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    your all nuts...its a tablet...not an alienware win 7 pro 6 core cryo cooled bleeding edge desktop.
    kurt178 likes this.
    can't say how many apps I have bought and never use.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    can't say how many apps I have bought and never use.
    One thing about Android is that the essentials are all free and there are 1st party support. Want a functioning eBay then you can download eBay or even Twitter. Paid apps are also much cheaper and of higher quality. Plus they get updated on a regular basis.
    supermatt9#WN and cgk like this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    Yes, applications ARE everything. The fact that the Touchpad with WebOS has a crappy browser, no ability to access network shares without RIDICULOUS measures being taken, no fully functional e-reader app, etc. makes it tedious and annoying to use. Mine has been sitting on my desk unplayed with for over a week now. Its basically a non-functional device because EVERYTHING it does either my iPad or my android phone does MUCH better. And to compare the Android market to the WebOS market is laughable. I don't think I would fill up my 32gb Touchpad if I installed every app available. Can't wait for Android on this thing.

Edit: I take that back about the Touchpad not doing anything better, its messaging client is very very good, but that is certainly not enough for me to use it on any sort of regular basis.
    Why did you buy it then? BTW, not being a jerk. I am honestly curious.
    Meh. The internet is really the "killer app".

Apps are cool and all, but give me a decent internet browser and it feels like I don't really need -any- of them these days. Of course, the touchpad's internet browser leaves something to be desired, but it's effective with it's decent rendering/flash support and for 99$ you'd have to be an ***** to have "buyers remorse".

Talk down on the browser all you want but in the end, I'm sitting here using it to surf the web, take notes in class, do some light gaming/social networking, watching something on Hulu in some downtime, and in general enjoying the hell out of the best 100$ piece of computer hardware I've ever seen. And it only gets better once android -is- ported over (and it will happen soon). This thing in by every measure a monster of a machine just waiting to unleash it's potential.

Color me unimpressed with this article. And some of the statements he makes are hilarious. He talks about the android port on the touchpad being "painstakingly slow" in it's progress. C'mon. Really? In less than a couple -weeks- worth of work we're already seeing videos with people running almost completely baked graphics accelerated 10 finger multitouch using freaking android on the device. How is that "painstakingly slow"?

In the end, even if you -don't- want your touchpad they are still bringing 100-200$ worth of profit on the open market for anyone who managed to snag one. Once again I ask, how exactly can you be "remorseful" for that?

This thing is a wonderful and hackable little machine that has a bright future in it's "dead" status. Mark my words, soon we'll have these things performing in ways HP never imagined.

I for one just got my hands on a third 16gig model. I'm thinking this one is destined to become some nifty art project around the house - maybe embedded in an ikea ramvik end table as a nifty hidden device. Thinking of mounting it flush with surrounding glass with a super thin tinted cover to hide it until it's in operation. I'll have to give it some thought as to how I want to play with. It's the perfect little toy for these sorts of projects. Hell, at 100$ I could throw this thing off a bridge for kicks and not feel too terribly bad about it (since I still have one for myself, of course).

The only remorse I'm feeling is that I can't get my hands on about 5 more of these things.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/10/2011 at 08:04 PM.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast