Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    I use the Evernote phone app, it works fine on TP..
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I use the Evernote phone app, it works fine on TP..
    If I wanted a phone app in a little window, I might as well just get my android phone out....
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYLARKBOY86 View Post
    what apps handle social media better? Touchpad has flash...faster better optimized processing with a little homebrew magic...incredible battery life...word processing/notetaking capabilities, awesome end-user development and customization capabilities and one off inductive charging and ecosystem support...and the fantastic community support
    All of them.

The browser sites are not designed to take advantage of the touch screen gestures or even designed for the smaller screen in general. Not to mention the browser on the TouchPad has a LOT to be desired.

And "note taking abilities" aren't any better on this than any other tablet OS.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theonlyix View Post
    Apps are 90% on those platforms where flash isnt available or where not all webpages can be viewed....

there is not nearly as much need for apps on the TP as there is on an IPad.

This my friend, is a percieved need, not an actual one.
    Yes, there's still the need for as many apps. Websites are not designed for smaller/touch screens. You get more funcitonality out of your tablet on a site specific app than through the web browser. UI is better and takes advantage of gestures/touch screen. Information is usually displayed better than the generic website too as it's built for the specific screen sizes. Also flash games on the internet, for the most part, suck out loud when trying to play via the browser on the TP. Also the TP doesn't (even with flash) come close to actually running all websites on the internet well. If you have low expectations or needs, yes, the TP with it's lack of apps won't be a problem. But 'Apps' are software. Find me a computer device that isn't better off with more software to add functionality to the device.
    Apps are everything, no doubt about that. My question is, will developers continue to support the platform? There is a user base now, so I can't see why not. If they do, then us TP users, will be just fine! There is a number of applications missing, depending on one's needs, that I would like to see developed. If only the TP had a few more months of "official" life, then we would have even more applications, which are considered as "standard" on other platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpsaras View Post
    Apps are everything, no doubt about that. My question is, will developers continue to support the platform? There is a user base now, so I can't see why not. If they do, then us TP users, will be just fine! There is a number of applications missing, depending on one's needs, that I would like to see developed. If only the TP had a few more months of "official" life, then we would have even more applications, which are considered as "standard" on other platforms.
    I purchased a Touchpad (which hasn't arrived yet) with the expectation that it will receive no updates and all apps available are all I'll have access to. I think it would be worth developers to continue to develope for the platform, but I have a feeling that it will completely depend on if somone buys webOS (like HTC) or if HP lets it go stale.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by tpsaras View Post
    my opinion is you need more then "developers." I think you need companies. As the big web properties like an espn app that came to touchpad or netflix which isn't there yet, that attracts so many people have to come from the actual company not an independant developer in many cases. there are exceptions like a twitter app where the apis are released. But if you want a webos app from say, a bank, no bank is gonna allow access from a developer. The other thing is when Webos was still official, and up and running the platform really struggled to get apps so i just can't see getting some big boost now that there is no support. You'd at least think there would have been a massive amount of mainstream companies launching touchpad apps at launch. I don't think we've seen that and that was when HP spent months showing it love. If the past is a guide the future doesn't look like it will include any explosion in apps.

as for the "user base." I think it's true that there are additions to the user base but i think realistically you can make an arguement that on the high end it's the total is still not a huge number and also that it the user base may not have hugely expanded.

The estimate that they made 1 million touchpads initially, at the high end they say the second build was 200k. Add that to what i saw last as a webos market share of 2.5 million users total. And you've got just over 3.7 million users total. including phone users. That's not a huge market and consider that phone users will slowly fade away. Lots are on pre minuses, like me, and will switch platforms. Many regardless of whether someone else picks up webos in a sale. Plus it will take a while for a new device anyways plus there's no guarantee it will come to you're carrier which may deter people from waiting should webos be sold. And that's a huge if at the moment.

But that 3.7+ number is high number as from the podcast, many people i've read on this sight many of the people buying touchpads already have webos devices. Plus i've heard countless reports of people buying anywhere from 2 to 7 touchpads. In these circumstances you'd be adding a device but not a user to the user base. Thus i think it's safe to assume that the real user base number is somewhere below the best case scenario of 3.7+ million users. where that is? 3.5 ? 2.5? 1.5? i don't know. But even at the high end i'm not sure that is enough, one tablet users or two total users to generate a ton of development.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    The TP is fast, comes with an excellent ereader and a fully functioning office suite.
    Whether it is fast or not could be an opinion, and I haven't tried the eReader...

...but saying it comes with a "fully functioning" office suite is an outright lie.
    nappy, sinsin07 and jenn0591 like this.
    Yep, Apps are everything...

Citrix
    Slingbox
    LogMeIn, Splashtop is just rudimentary, but functional
    GarageBand
    Frutiy Loops
    RSA SecurID token App
    Tom Tom
    Naviagon
    Airport Maps
    Trapster
    Informant HD
    Facetime
    ReadleDocs
    DocsToGo
    Zen View
    Goodreader
    eWalet
    Pages
    Numbers
    Onenote
    Audio Galaxy
    Keynote
    Kenote Remote
    Eyefi
    Mashable
    Tech Fuse
    News Fuse
    Shazam
    Deliveries
    Boxee
    iTap RDP
    Jump RDP
    Tango
    Fring
    Convertbot
    Optimum App
    Verizon App (TV viewing)
    Dr. Suess (interactive book reading, great for the young'ins)
    Soundhound
    Rebirth
    iDJ
    Korg
    Jamboxx
    Airvideo

Most apps on this site: ProMusicApps.com

That's just a very, very few and no games listed.

As another board member once said, "broaden your horizons and stop swiping cards because you can...."

Yes there's a lot of crapapps out there, that's why you use toilet paper to find the apps that are gems.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 09/13/2011 at 10:16 PM.
    I just don't know how anyone can say apps aren't important. That's like saying "these are all the features I'm ever going to need from my tablet."
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Those are some good apps. I would add XBMC to the iOS list as I use that all the time.
    Apps matter. People that say otherwise are ignorant to this simple fact.

That said, I'll be happy if WebOS or preware get one quality web browser like iCab, Atomic or Terra! I'll take baby steps for now. Just give us a quality browser!
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    <snip>
    Most apps on this site: ProMusicApps.com
    <snip>
    That is a great site I hadn't seen before.

I have a ton of great music-related apps on my iPod Touch and to be honest, although the TP will always have a place in my house, I think I will eventually succumb and get an iPad.

If only because I have a load of universal apps ready to install.

I bought the TP with no expectations of updates or even 1 more app being released and if it remains this way it will still be a useful tool to me.

But, when it comes down to it, apps matter to me if there is quality there.

And this takes nothing away from the dedication of the people looking to optimise and improve on the webOS TP experience.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post

The estimate that they made 1 million touchpads initially, at the high end they say the second build was 200k. Add that to what i saw last as a webos market share of 2.5 million users total. And you've got just over 3.7 million users total. including phone users.

To put this number into context because a lot of people here think it's a big number - in the UK, HTC has sold three million handsets. That's one handset maker in a single country.
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    But the ipad has BOTH tens of thousands of apps...snip
    It's also been around for the years it takes to have those apps written.

App devs are like Kevin Costners ghosts, if you need them they will come!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What is the fully functional office suite called? I can only find quick office on my touchpad and that is junk in its current state.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    What is it you want it to do that it won't do? I can open/create/print/email/save documents and spreadsheets without any bother.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    What is it you want it to do that it won't do? I can open/create/print/email/save documents and spreadsheets without any bother.
    I use footnotes and referencing a lot, it's broken every document I've never with it. That's not the worse of it - - it has a bug in that it will crash randomly losing all of the material that you are working on, if it hasn't happened yet then you've been lucky - but don't take my word for it, the official precentral review had this to say (and the comments are full of people with the same problem):

Unfortunately, there are plenty of challenges and outright problems as well. Formatting options are limited; in Word, the user can select justification; bold, italic and underlining of text; numbered or bullet lists; and three fonts. That's it. While QuickOfficeHD will not undo additional formatting options present in the document, it may not display them properly either. For example, superscripted footnote numbers in text show as nonsense characters, and the footnotes themselves are not visible or editable.

Worse, QuickOfficeHD can sometimes alter formatting in a way that cannot be undone; after a bullet list, we found that it caused subsequent paragraphs to have hanging indents, which we could only fix once the document was opened in Microsoft Word, since indenting options are not offered within the application.
    While the above issues are annoyances, there are flat-out bugs in the application that make its use much less pleasant. At times, the cursor gets stuck at the bottom of the screen, and one cannot see the text being typed or edited there. The biggest and perhaps fatal flaw in QuickOfficeHD, though, is that it locks up without notice, either during a save or sometimes just while deleting or otherwise changing text.

When this happens, the only option seems to be to close and reopen the document, losing any unsaved text in the process. This review was begun within QuickOfficeHD, but whole sections needed to be retyped in Microsoft Word after they disappeared during freezes. Given that Derek was able to write his entire huge review of the TouchPad within the Memos app, the situation was all the more troubling.
    wow that was quick watched hulu yesterday 9/13 woke up what happened? Had the patch 2 weeks did the folks at hulu catch on will not work now.
  19. xpl
    In my opinion apps are indeed everything. The iPad woudnt be so succesful without the Appstore.
    Wow that was quick had the Hulu patch 2 weeks, worked great woke up this morning no hulu, reinstalled patch still no work was good till about 3am, did the folks at hulu catch on,please find another fix please comment and help love hulu on touchpad.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast