Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    If you do have an android tablet you would know that's really not true.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    There is no "if" involved here. Head over to XDA Developers or ArchosFans forums. My handle is there. Been using Android long before webOS was around and I prefer webOS. I have also been a desktop Linux users for over 16 years.

Funny thing is you won't see any post from me bad mouthing Android or other Android users on any of those sites. I act responsibly in those forums and respect other peoples choices just like you folks should here.

BTW, I can't honestly take you seriously as an informed user of webOS when you post from your DROIDX.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    There is no "if" involved here. Head over to XDA Developers or ArchosFans forums. My handle is there. Been using Android long before webOS was around and I prefer webOS. I have also been a desktop Linux users for over 16 years.

Funny thing is you won't see any post from me bad mouthing Android or other Android users on any of those sites. I act responsibly in those forums and respect other peoples choices just like you folks should here.

BTW, I can't honestly take you seriously as an informed user of webOS when you post from your DROIDX.
    If you see my posts you would notice that I actually like my touchpad.
    So I need to carry my tablet around with me everywhere I go for you to take me seriously? Sure buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What is the fully functional office suite called? I can only find quick office on my touchpad and that is junk in its current state.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Yeah, Quickoffice and Adobe Reader are both lackluster.

Can't complain too much, as they're free, but I would actually pay for fast, and more feature complete versions of Reader and an office editor. The Word portion of Quickoffice is really more like Wordpad. Even Google Docs does more, like insertion of pics.

And Reader can't do bookmarks or allow me to type in page numbers, sort of a killer. When I look at Pages and Reader on iOS, that's more of what I want.

As for other tablets, I played around with an iPad 2 at BB today. It has been months since I played with one, and while no current tablet to me is worth iPad prices, it's miles ahead of webOS in terms of responsiveness and apps. And I think most of the Honeycomb tablets are pretty poor, the OS still isn't very good, and it's lacking in the apps dept as too.

webOS had potential, but HP blew it. At $150, it's really good as a web browser/e-mail/photos, but above that price, and beyond that, all the cards and multitasking can't save it. Some of that could be resolved with a newer build of Webkit and a GPU accelerated UI, but I don't think that will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    If you see my posts you would notice that I actually like my touchpad.
    So I need to carry my tablet around with me everywhere I go for you to take me seriously? Sure buddy.

Didn't say you did, but you did ever so slightly try to accuse me of not having an Android tablet. I may have strong feelings for webOS but I don't make stuff up. I am a tech junkie and I have a lot of devices that I use and tweak with a passion.
    It's funny that the author of this story got the opposite reaction she was probably looking for. Most folks can argue that the TouchPad (or any tablet) may not have been the best choice at $500-600, but it is well worth the $100-150 price. With or without a ton of apps.
    It's funny that the author of this story got the opposite reaction she was probably looking for. Most folks can argue that the TouchPad (or any tablet) may not have been the best choice at $500-600, but it is well worth the $100-150 price. With or without a ton of apps.
    This.

Anyone arguing "The Touchpad is better than an iPad2" is wrong because the iPad2 is faster, smoother, has more choices (even if you like what the Tpad has, why would you argue for LESS choices?), more polished software, etc. But at $100 to $150, the Tpad gives SO much more value for the dollar than the iPad2 does.

Yes, WebOS is amazing (god, cards, notification system, swipe up for Homescreen, all of that and more) and the competition could definitely learn from it, but if you think the browser is better, that's nuts. It's a lot slower, it doesn't lock in when you scroll down, there's no tabs (don't mention Advanced Browser cause we're not comparing a paid app to a free app), you can't organize bookmarks.. And pReader? Anyone saying it's amazing is also nuts because it's SLOW. How do I know? I loaded a book and tried reading, there's maybe a 1 to 2 second delay (closer to 1) in going to the next page and sometimes up to 5 seconds for going back a page. I have my pad OC'ed to 1.5ghz and installed all the patches and I'm running the Alpha version.

You guys are arguing too hard about this. If you're satisfied with the apps that are available, cool, but not everyone is. And for the people who aren't satisfied and whining, shut up and sell your tablet then or wait for Android.
    supermatt9#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gareim View Post
    This.

Anyone arguing "The Touchpad is better than an iPad2" is wrong because the iPad2 is faster, smoother, has more choices (even if you like what the Tpad has, why would you argue for LESS choices?), more polished software, etc. But at $100 to $150, the Tpad gives SO much more value for the dollar than the iPad2 does.

Yes, WebOS is amazing (god, cards, notification system, swipe up for Homescreen, all of that and more) and the competition could definitely learn from it, but if you think the browser is better, that's nuts. It's a lot slower, it doesn't lock in when you scroll down, there's no tabs (don't mention Advanced Browser cause we're not comparing a paid app to a free app), you can't organize bookmarks.. And pReader? Anyone saying it's amazing is also nuts because it's SLOW. How do I know? I loaded a book and tried reading, there's maybe a 1 to 2 second delay (closer to 1) in going to the next page and sometimes up to 5 seconds for going back a page. I have my pad OC'ed to 1.5ghz and installed all the patches and I'm running the Alpha version.

You guys are arguing too hard about this. If you're satisfied with the apps that are available, cool, but not everyone is. And for the people who aren't satisfied and whining, shut up and sell your tablet then or wait for Android.
    The default browser has it's problems but I would not say that the iOS browser experience is better. There are a ton of iOS apps that are essentially web site replacements because the browser is lacking. There is no need for any of those apps on webOS. I think people have a right to whine if an app does not meet their needs. However they should whine to the app developer who can fix the issue and not the community as a whole unless they need the community to put pressure on the developer. I just grow tired of the folks who come here specifically to bad mouth everything webOS (they have something negative to say on every thread) and insult the folks who use it. This forum is about a webOS community helping one another out with platform/device issues. It's not a place to "sell" the wonders of Android or iOS. Besides if that is a person goal it is sad to even attempt to do it here.
    spyroks likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    One thing about Android is that the essentials are all free and there are 1st party support. Want a functioning eBay then you can download eBay or even Twitter. Paid apps are also much cheaper and of higher quality. Plus they get updated on a regular basis.
    Perhaps you can point me to a decent checkbook app then? I was looking for one for some friends, and none of the apps I found could come close to Checkbook by GlitchTechScience on webOS.
    Apps Smapps......I have a Epic 4G and would gladly trade it for a Pre 2. Most of the apps I actually use can be found on the WebOS ecosystem and if not I can use the flash versions on the web. I use a calendar, email, calculator, pdf reader, document editor, pandora, last.fm, youtube, music and video player, recipes, skype, a few games (but I have a PC, PS3, XBOX 360, Wii, and a DS!), weather, alarm, comic reader, ebay, and wifi hotspot. Not sure what I'm missing out on, besides fart apps. Anyway the App issue is overblown but a nice remedy for those so app starved is for HP or the homebrew scene(palmdroid) to develop and android app player like the one on the playbook.
    About Android:

There are at least a 1/2 dozen web browsers and not one of them is stable with Flash turned on.
    Abject lie. Miren is a full featured amazing browser and never had flash crash once. Opera Mobile is by far the smoothest and most polished browser, but lacks features of other browsers. Of course the stock browser on most devices is also great. Its obvious from his admission that he bought a crappy Android 2.x tablet and he is forming his opinions on the entire platform based on his frankentablet. Also, just for the record, there is well over a dozen browsers. I reviewed 13 of them here:13 Android Browsers Compared and Benchmarked - xda-developers

Funny:
    I have a lot of "free" Android apps that are littered with ads to prove it.
    Did you ever try the free app "Adfree"??? LOL.

The default browser has it's problems but I would not say that the iOS browser experience is better.
    Then you would be wrong. Yes the Touchpad has flash, which the iPad is also fully capable of with apps like iSwifter and Pufin, but the Touchpad's browser is the ONLY choice you have on WebOS. Its awful. Its slower than safari on my 800mhz ipad 1, while running on the same wifi network with all speed patches and overclocked at 1.5ghz. That is just pathetic. The iOS browser also isn't buggy either. And there are alternative browsers on iOS if you want more features like tabs, gestures, multiple finger taps performing different operations, etc. The experience is SO much better on iOS I don't know how you can make this statement seriously.
    andrew025, nappy and zappcatt like this.
    I'm baffled by that too. Mobile Safari is much faster, renders more accurately, and is far more rich in functionality. I mean, hell, the TouchPad browser doesn't even support bookmark management...
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Wow, you guys are a piece of work. Reminds me of the early Linux community. You expect good quality apps for your device yet you don't want to pay for them? I remember arguing with the "free software" zealots who complained about not having top notch 3d games and enterprising software for Linux but if it became available they refused to pay for it. The developers put their time and effort into making the apps for you. Nothing is free. I have a lot of "free" Android apps that are littered with ads to prove it.
    I paid for a few apps during my Palm Pre days and most of them were a waste of money. Some no longer exist like Tweed the first WebOS twitter client. Problem is there is no trial and the quality of the apps in the catalog is really low. So far I have purchased one app and rather disappointed in it (Kalemsoft video player) that's 7 bucks down the drain.
    As someone who bought every RSS reader I could find in the hopes of finding something even half as good as Reeder, I feel your pain, jamex.

It's not that I don't want to pay for high quality apps. They just don't exist.
    muyoso likes this.

You don't like webOS. That's your choice. Don't use your TouchPad until a good Android port comes out. However you need to respect the choice of others who do like it.
    This right here.
    There is, for whatever unknown reason in this North American society, no respect for peoples taste and/or choice in life.

Everyone has to be better, or their opinion trumps everyone else's.

It's a sad world we live in.
    when the majority of the tablet market goes where the apps are i think to deny their importance to a material amount of consumers is nothing more then wishful thinking. Whether a buyer will use them or not, the majority want the choice to use them should they want to. Those that are satisfied not having the choice to use lots of apps are a very very small minority of buyers.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Another "Apps are important" vs "Apps aren't important" argument huh. I understand that most people only use a handful of apps on a regular basis, but those handful of apps are different for every person. Yes, webOS has enough apps to be very useful (the webOS community can attest to the great apps we have), however webOS lacks a lot of apps that many people want or need. And to simply dismiss that, and state apps aren't important is crazy.

If apps weren't important, then webOS would probably be among the top 3 mobile OS' because it is superior to the competition in many ways (i.e. notifications, synergy, homebrew, multitasking, etc. etc.) But the facts are Apps matter. There's a reason WP7 is doing better than webOS, even though it's been on the market for a shorter period of time: Apps! Microsoft made it a priority to get the Apps for WP7, even if they had to pay for them. That seems to be working out well for them; the last count I heard WP7 had over 30,000. In comparison webOS probably has in the low 10,000's (if that).

Now the 'apps matter' Vs 'apps don't matter' argument will probably go on forever. People often argue:
    -"Quantity of Apps" vs "Quality of App"
    -How many apps do you need to use on a regular basis?
    -How many of those 100,000+ Android/iOS apps are crappy fart apps?, etc, etc.

Those may be great arguing points, but the average person doesn't care. They want to have endless options of apps to choose from, and they enjoy being able to use any app they want or need. I've yet to hear a person that uses iOS or Android complain about a certain app not being available on their platform. They are usually showing me some App that I wish webOS had. If we're honest folks, we all probably have a nice size list of apps that we wish were on webOS; but we're willing to sacrifice that because we love the OS' & the community so much.

So let's not be in denial about the whole App situation, because they definitely matter & are important. Heck if it weren't for the Homebrew devs & their apps/patches that make up for the short comings of webOS & the app catalog, how many of us would still be around???
    Been wanting to type up a post EXACTLY like this one. Wish more people would read it! Thanks!!
    SmartFah likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Heck if it weren't for the Homebrew devs & their apps/patches that make up for the short comings of webOS & the app catalog, how many of us would still be around???
    the apps they provided are why i even made an account on this site and why i did not return my pre minus.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    SmartFah likes this.
    tp is slow and has a lot of crappy apps and slim options but for 150 dollars whatever. I just hope android comes sooner.
    Apps are 90% on those platforms where flash isnt available or where not all webpages can be viewed....

there is not nearly as much need for apps on the TP as there is on an IPad.

This my friend, is a percieved need, not an actual one.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theonlyix View Post
    Apps are 90% on those platforms where flash isnt available or where not all webpages can be viewed....

there is not nearly as much need for apps on the TP as there is on an IPad.

This my friend, is a percieved need, not an actual one.
    But flash is flaky on the touchpad - I have to turn it off to access a range of websites (the BBC being the most obvious advantage).

Leaving that aside, the web is fine for some consumption but it's largely useless for creation or curation.

So your 'perceived' need is an actual need for a lot of us; especially in situations where there is no wifi connections (Planes, trains etc).
    Last edited by CGK; 09/12/2011 at 04:07 AM.
    Wozza666 likes this.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast