Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oklanole View Post
    Why did you buy it then? BTW, not being a jerk. I am honestly curious.
    Bought 4 actually, just 3 haven't arrived yet. Also going to buy more.

Because its a great piece of hardware for a ridiculously low price. The main motivating factor for me though is that I felt as though there is going to be a MASSIVE developer base behind this thing to get Android ported and to keep it updated with the latest and greatest Android builds. WebOS from the reviews I saw was nothing special to me, and I already have an iPad which while meh still accomplishes everything I ask of it kinda.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Because who could believe in 2011 that a company could ship a device with a browser that blows as much as one on the touchpad. It actually makes apps more than less necessary because of how poor it is.

Yes it only cost 89 quid but phone only cost 60 and has a better browser.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    OMG a million times this. The browser is awful. I outlines above why I bought the tablet, but damn was I surprised at the browser and how bad it was, and then SHOCKED when I searched for "browser" in the app store and was met with basically nothingness.
    pback likes this.
    such as? And while were comparing lets compare apples to apples, not webOS to android, I have yet to type a document on my phone efficiently and print it out across the room through the ole wireless, while watching streaming football, and stopping to check a drug dosing or interaction, and then switch over and argue with trolls. Seems to be plenty capable go me
    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYLARKBOY86 View Post
    such as? And while were comparing lets compare apples to apples, not webOS to android, I have yet to type a document on my phone efficiently and print it out across the room through the ole wireless, while watching streaming football, and stopping to check a drug dosing or interaction, and then switch over and argue with trolls. Seems to be plenty capable go me
    Yeah, I don't know what people are having issues on the browser about. I have done must things that I would have on my desktop from the comfort of my recliner. Even typing this post.
    I kind of agree with the article. I've only had my TouchPad for 2 days and the novelty is already wearing off. Around 80% of what I have installed are games and I feel they're the only apps I've found that are worth installing. I have a Motorola Atrix Android phone and I can hook it up to my TV and watch videos and play music while I can't do that with my TouchPad. That's more of a hardware issue though. In relation to apps I feel like there's just more available to me on my phone. And by that I mean there are more quality apps to handle social media, word processing and multimedia; a few of the basics that a tablet should be able to do. My phone has Flash as well and it's a dual core overclocked to 1.3 GHz. Personally, the TouchPad is just a cool thing to show off to my friends say, "I was able to get one when a lot of other people couldn't." Really the only reasons I bought one were because it was less than $200 for an originally $600 device and everyone was scrambling to get their hands on one. I paid $50 for my phone and it can do way more at the moment.
    what apps handle social media better? Touchpad has flash...faster better optimized processing with a little homebrew magic...incredible battery life...word processing/notetaking capabilities, awesome end-user development and customization capabilities and one off inductive charging and ecosystem support...and the fantastic community support
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I find it funny how people defend the touchpad with such passion. WebOS has been a complete let down since the day it launched but I must say you guys are devoted. I have never seen a community so loyal to a product that has given them the middle finger on so many occasions. First you didn't get flash on the original the Pre even after having a thread asking for it for almost 2 years. Then Palm said you will get 2.1 then changed their mind. Pre 3 was suppose to launch but then got canned. Some of you paid $500 for a tablet that was discontinued just a few weeks later. You guys are even more loyal than Apple fans.

I would not call quickoffice a word processor but a text editor. Would you call notepad a word processor? Ecosystem and optimized? You have to be joking. The fact is HP canceled the product because any rationally thinking person would come to the conclusion that the touchpad is a terrible product mainly because of WebOS. Now I am not mad that I spent $100.00 on it because it is still cheap and could turn out to be an awesome Android tablet someday but come on you guys have to stop sugar coating the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYLARKBOY86 View Post
    what apps handle social media better?
    Seesmic - able to update Twitter & Facebook at the same time, support for lists, able to see trending topics and much more
    Google+ - no app on the TouchPad
    Tumblr - no app on the TouchPad
    Yelp - app not optimized for TouchPad
    Foursquare - app not optimized for TouchPad

I have Glimpse and Spaz for Twitter but the features are a little lacking. Twitter lists are a feature that are important to me and neither of them have them. They don't even have one of the most basic features of Twitter in trending topics. I can use the websites for Google+ and Tumblr but when I want to upload something I have to e-mail it to myself then open it on a computer and upload it there since you can't upload files through the browser.

EDIT
    Just found out there is a Tumblr app but it's $1.99. I forgot to add that all those apps are free on Android and other than Seesmic are made directly by their respective parties.
    Last edited by CaCHooKa Man; 09/10/2011 at 10:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EP2011 View Post
    Apps ARE 90% of what the tablet can offer. Imagine a toolbox without tools. What good is that?

My ASUS transformer allows me to do anything I need from it. My iPad allows for about 90%, but it's not as "smooth" to use as a business tool. The touchpad, I estimate, will allow me to only 70% of the stuff I need, so I'll still have to fall back to the transformer or iPad to get all my work done.

I am crossing my fingers that the touchpad will allow me to do everything the transformer allows, but I'm not holding my breath.

Apps are hugely important, in my opinion.
    Not trying to start an argument, but what are some examples of what your transformer can do that touchpad or iPad can't? I couldn't afford a transformer but could afford the touchpad and wonder what I'm missing out on.
    Another "Apps are important" vs "Apps aren't important" argument huh. I understand that most people only use a handful of apps on a regular basis, but those handful of apps are different for every person. Yes, webOS has enough apps to be very useful (the webOS community can attest to the great apps we have), however webOS lacks a lot of apps that many people want or need. And to simply dismiss that, and state apps aren't important is crazy.

If apps weren't important, then webOS would probably be among the top 3 mobile OS' because it is superior to the competition in many ways (i.e. notifications, synergy, homebrew, multitasking, etc. etc.) But the facts are Apps matter. There's a reason WP7 is doing better than webOS, even though it's been on the market for a shorter period of time: Apps! Microsoft made it a priority to get the Apps for WP7, even if they had to pay for them. That seems to be working out well for them; the last count I heard WP7 had over 30,000. In comparison webOS probably has in the low 10,000's (if that).

Now the 'apps matter' Vs 'apps don't matter' argument will probably go on forever. People often argue:
    -"Quantity of Apps" vs "Quality of App"
    -How many apps do you need to use on a regular basis?
    -How many of those 100,000+ Android/iOS apps are crappy fart apps?, etc, etc.

Those may be great arguing points, but the average person doesn't care. They want to have endless options of apps to choose from, and they enjoy being able to use any app they want or need. I've yet to hear a person that uses iOS or Android complain about a certain app not being available on their platform. They are usually showing me some App that I wish webOS had. If we're honest folks, we all probably have a nice size list of apps that we wish were on webOS; but we're willing to sacrifice that because we love the OS' & the community so much.

So let's not be in denial about the whole App situation, because they definitely matter & are important. Heck if it weren't for the Homebrew devs & their apps/patches that make up for the short comings of webOS & the app catalog, how many of us would still be around???
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Another "Apps are important" vs "Apps aren't important" argument huh. I understand that most people only use a handful of apps on a regular basis, but those handful of apps are different for every person. Yes, webOS has enough apps to be very useful (the webOS community can attest to the great apps we have), however webOS lacks a lot of apps that many people want or need. And to simply dismiss that, and state apps aren't important is crazy.

If apps weren't important, then webOS would probably be among the top 3 mobile OS' because it is superior to the competition in many ways (i.e. notifications, synergy, homebrew, multitasking, etc. etc.) But the facts are Apps matter. There's a reason WP7 is doing better than webOS, even though it's been on the market for a shorter period of time: Apps! Microsoft made it a priority to get the Apps for WP7, even if they had to pay for them. That seems to be working out well for them; the last count I heard WP7 had over 30,000. In comparison webOS probably has in the low 10,000's (if that).

Now the 'apps matter' Vs 'apps don't matter' argument will probably go on forever. People often argue:
    -"Quantity of Apps" vs "Quality of App"
    -How many apps do you need to use on a regular basis?
    -How many of those 100,000+ Android/iOS apps are crappy fart apps?, etc, etc.

Those may be great arguing points, but the average person doesn't care. They want to have endless options of apps to choose from, and they enjoy being able to use any app they want or need. I've yet to hear a person that uses iOS or Android complain about a certain app not being available on their platform. They are usually showing me some App that I wish webOS had. If we're honest folks, we all probably have a nice size list of apps that we wish were on webOS; but we're willing to sacrifice that because we love the OS' & the community so much.

So let's not be in denial about the whole App situation, because they definitely matter & are important. Heck if it weren't for the Homebrew devs & their apps/patches that make up for the short comings of webOS & the app catalog, how many of us would still be around???
    Totally agree with you there.
    The more I use my touchpad the more I like it but it's missing some apps that I need/want to have. I feel like I can't use it to it's full potential without the apps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I give you...topics for twitter,foursquare,tumblbox,twee,facebook for webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    Totally agree with you there.
    The more I use my touchpad the more I like it but it's missing some apps that I need/want to have. I feel like I can't use it to it's full potential without the apps.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. The TouchPad may never see it's full potential thanks to HP dropping the hammer on webOS. Many people won't even experience Touch-to-Share. Now that the Pre 3 is scrapped, Dev's won't even be able to integrate Touch-to-Share in their apps. Plus there are probably many other apps that won't see the light of day on webOS, thanks to the way HP handled things.
    Actually, the funny thing is, after having used my Touchpad for 2 weeks, and originally considering iOS extremely superior, I go to use my iPod and it drives me insane with how slow it feels. The difference, I think, is that iOS rarely ever does something until it's ready to do it in a smooth fashion.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    The fact of the matter is, even if webOS dies on the vine -today-, homebrew webos devs and android provides our device a future. This device, overclocked and running android, is immediately one of the most powerful pieces of android hardware you can buy. You can't touch a similarly spec'ed device anywhere near the pricepoint.

I can look past the touchpads flaws because it is working beautifully to serve my current ends. In the end I expect these flaws to evaporate, both with the introduction of android dual booting, and with the continued efforts of dedicated homebrew webOS patchmakers.

I might not be 100% happy with the touchpad browser today, for example, but a few months with our newfound huge userbase will absolutely turn that around.
    Quote Originally Posted by oklanole View Post
    Why did you buy it then? BTW, not being a jerk. I am honestly curious.
    I think we all would like to know the answer to that question.
    ....The Touchpad has a decent browser, has wifi, does email, facebook, skype/messaging and plays videos/music. For $100 dollars what more do you want!!??
    spyroks likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I find it funny how people defend the touchpad with such passion. WebOS has been a complete let down since the day it launched but I must say you guys are devoted. I have never seen a community so loyal to a product that has given them the middle finger on so many occasions. First you didn't get flash on the original the Pre even after having a thread asking for it for almost 2 years. Then Palm said you will get 2.1 then changed their mind. Pre 3 was suppose to launch but then got canned. Some of you paid $500 for a tablet that was discontinued just a few weeks later. You guys are even more loyal than Apple fans.

I would not call quickoffice a word processor but a text editor. Would you call notepad a word processor? Ecosystem and optimized? You have to be joking. The fact is HP canceled the product because any rationally thinking person would come to the conclusion that the touchpad is a terrible product mainly because of WebOS. Now I am not mad that I spent $100.00 on it because it is still cheap and could turn out to be an awesome Android tablet someday but come on you guys have to stop sugar coating the TP.
    I find it funny how you would come to PreCentral and not expect someone to defend webOS. Good Lord if we did not do that then why use the OS and why be on PreCentral? I also find it funny how you and others defend Android with a passion on a webOS forum. I have an Android tablet. Android definitely ain't the be all end all that you make it out to be. Android tablet sales are dismal also and for good reason. Most of those thousands of apps are pure garbage. There are at least a 1/2 dozen web browsers and not one of them is stable with Flash turned on. I can actually run the webOS browser with Flash set to autoload without worrying about a random ad taking down my device. I could not do that for one hour, not even one day, in the 7 months that I have had the Android tablet.

You don't like webOS. That's your choice. Don't use your TouchPad until a good Android port comes out. However you need to respect the choice of others who do like it.
    kjb86 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Most of those thousands of apps are pure garbage. There are at least a 1/2 dozen web browsers and not one of them is stable with Flash turned on. I can actually run the webOS browser with Flash set to autoload without worrying about a random ad taking down my device. I could not do that for one hour, not even one day, in the 7 months that I have had the Android tablet.
    If you do have an android tablet you would know that's really not true.

Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
    Seesmic - able to update Twitter & Facebook at the same time, support for lists, able to see trending topics and much more
    Google+ - no app on the TouchPad
    Tumblr - no app on the TouchPad
    Yelp - app not optimized for TouchPad
    Foursquare - app not optimized for TouchPad

I have Glimpse and Spaz for Twitter but the features are a little lacking. Twitter lists are a feature that are important to me and neither of them have them. They don't even have one of the most basic features of Twitter in trending topics. I can use the websites for Google+ and Tumblr but when I want to upload something I have to e-mail it to myself then open it on a computer and upload it there since you can't upload files through the browser.

EDIT
    Just found out there is a Tumblr app but it's $1.99. I forgot to add that all those apps are free on Android and other than Seesmic are made directly by their respective parties.
    Wow, you guys are a piece of work. Reminds me of the early Linux community. You expect good quality apps for your device yet you don't want to pay for them? I remember arguing with the "free software" zealots who complained about not having top notch 3d games and enterprising software for Linux but if it became available they refused to pay for it. The developers put their time and effort into making the apps for you. Nothing is free. I have a lot of "free" Android apps that are littered with ads to prove it.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast