Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Its funny that I mention all the glaring uses with Android or iOS and you respond quickly, but don't acknowledge (ie. IGNORE) the issues. I know the issues with webOS very well since I've been using it for over 2 years now. I have posted my issues here with the OS and recieved help from the community, Palm, and HP. You post an issue, I point out a fix, then you get upset? Do you do the same when someone tells you that you need to root your device to keep the OS from killing your home screen replacement? What about when you need to run a task manager to kill apps that the OS let run in the background so your battery won't die or that your need to run a custom ROM to get ad-hoc network support (at least you have that fix)? How about when you need to jailbreak the device to get theme support or run a wireless hotspot, something that other OSes have for free and require less work? Do you want help or do you want to spend your time complaining?

BTW, I've used Android since the first public release (on my HTC Tilt, btw) and I know all of the problems with that OS also. Funny I post issues and recieve help in the Android forums, yet I don't berate my device, the OS, or other Android users there.

You don't want to use webOS, thats alright. Do use all a favor and spend your time helping your favorite OS grow and stay away from ours. There is an Android mod for the TouchPad. You can use that if it makes you feel better about your purchases. Why waste our time and yours if you don't feel a need to help or don't appreciate help? Every OS has flaws. Did you think Google stopped producing Android after 1.x and Apple stop producing iOS after 1.x? Not all of those upgrades included features, especially the .0x releases.
    None of your posted "issues" are actual real issues. Most are completely false to begin with, and others just aren't a problem frankly. I will PM you to tell you how you are wrong. Lets keep it in PM's.

Edit: PM sent.
    Last edited by muyoso; 09/19/2011 at 08:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    None of your posted "issues" are actual real issues. Most are completely false to begin with, and others just aren't a problem frankly. I will PM you to tell you how you are wrong. Lets keep it in PM's.

They are real issues. I have experienced them on both OSes and even participated respectfully in the forums that detailed the fixes. So webOS issues are real and iOS or Android issues are not?
    DARN IT! When will Communities be released? You beta tester are making me jealous!
    He said he submitted it to the app catalog today, so assuming it doesn't get hung up in HP's approval process, it should be available soon.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Replied to your PM and I don't know what happened. Will try again later. Here is a link that explains the home screen issue in Android. Look at post #8 for the explanation and solution which requires rooting:

LauncherPRO Redraws - Replace ADW with LauncherPRO - CyanogenMod Forum

Also jailbreaking iOS to get features that other OSes have by default is the same as patching webOS, which you seem to have a problem with.
    muyoso, replied to your PM again, this time from my desktop and I don't see my reply. I don't know what gives.

To answer your other issue(s):

Yes, in theory you do not need a memory manager with Android 2.2 (Froyo) and above. However, Froyo still has problems with killing run away programs which kill battery power. Also, Froyo decides when and what it is going to kill. I want to retain the right to do that. The only way to solve both issues is with a memory manager.

I should not have to jailbrake an OS (iOS) just to change the background wallpaper or to get wireless hotspot support when other OSes do this without tweaking. Some of this has been fixed but it took 3 versions of the OS to do so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    He said he submitted it to the app catalog today, so assuming it doesn't get hung up in HP's approval process, it should be available soon.

-- Sent from my using Communities
    Cool. BTW here is an example of how to complain about not having apps the right way (look at post #86):

http://forums.precentral.net/app-req...netflix-5.html

That is of course for people who really care about improving webOS and the TouchPad.
    Cool. BTW here is an example of how to complain about not having apps the right way (look at post #86):

That is of course for people who really care about improving webOS and the TouchPad.
    While Netflix would be super sweet, I just don't see it happening unless a Netflix programmer or two picked up a TouchPad and decide to work on it in their spare time. Netflix just doesn't have anything to gain from releasing one.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    While Netflix would be super sweet, I just don't see it happening unless a Netflix programmer or two picked up a TouchPad and decide to work on it in their spare time. Netflix just doesn't have anything to gain from releasing one.
    With NetFlix loosing customers left and right they need to support as many devices as they can. People don't pay for the app, they pay for the service. The app is a way to leverage that service. If I can make $7-15 a month off of you and a few hundred thousand others, why should I care which device you are using?
    With NetFlix loosing customers left and right they need to support as many devices as they can. People don't pay for the app, they pay for the service. The app is a way to leverage that service. If I can make $7-15 a month off of you and a few hundred thousand others, why should I care which device you are using?
    Except I already have netflix. And I'm sure a number of other TouchPad owners are current subscribers. And that won't change regardless of Netflix producing an app or not.

It's not that they care, I just don't think they'll see it as a worthwhile investment.
    Replied to your PM and I don't know what happened. Will try again later. Here is a link that explains the home screen issue in Android. Look at post #8 for the explanation and solution which requires rooting:

LauncherPRO Redraws - Replace ADW with LauncherPRO - CyanogenMod Forum

Also jailbreaking iOS to get features that other OSes have by default is the same as patching webOS, which you seem to have a problem with.
    Dude, that thread is a YEAR old, is for a CUSTOM rom that you HAVE to root to install. How in ANY way does that relate to this:

Do you do the same when someone tells you that you need to root your device to keep the OS from killing your home screen replacement?
    Please PM me instead of responding to me THREE times on here, which is actually an acceleration of posts after I begged you to stick to PM's.
    Dude, that thread is a YEAR old, is for a CUSTOM rom that you HAVE to root to install. How in ANY way does that relate to this:

Please PM me instead of responding to me THREE times on here, which is actually an acceleration of posts after I begged you to stick to PM's.
    I tried to PM your comments inline, when I hit submit I was sent back to the original message and my reply was not posted. Tried that on both the TouchPad and laptop. Never had a problem with it before. Besides why should I answer those questions in private?

The thread was an example. You can Google the issue and find the fix on multiple Android forums. The problem is not with a custom ROM, it is with 2.2 and 2.3, which are still the most common used versions of Android. The memory manager is too aggressive. Run a few memory intensive apps and it starts killing everything, to include your home screen (which includes your desktop and applications launcher). The fix requires modifying a file that requires root privileges.
    Besides why should I answer those questions in private?
    Because we are arguing about android on an WebOS forum?
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    muyuso, et al. This is a webOS enthusiast and community site. I believe the goal here is to help new and existing users get around or fix the flaws with webOS. I don't know what you, CGK, nappy, or Chalx issue is. You definitely don't seem like webOS enthusiast to me.
    I'm not, I'm a user, I'd hate to be an enthusiast because that leads to the sort of battered wife syndrome that this forum only now seems to be shaking off.
    PricklyPete and SnotBoogie like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by finecismad View Post
    What's wrong with that? A less than half an hour process, that is available to all for free. Literally anyone that can follow steps, can follow the process of installing homebrew. It's like laying a pot of gold on the ground and saying here, take it, no really take it. Weighs a good bit but if you are willing to haul it back to you place you can have it. Anyone who buys a Touchpad and craves speed will find it, for anyone else- straight out of the box TP will be fine. Especially if you paid 100-150 bucks for it. I mean really, when I first booted up my TP I was happy with it, I was good with the purchase I made before I installed any patches or swapped Kernels. However, I was already well aware of the patches and OC, it was something I had planned on doing before I even had the TP in my hands.

I don't get what everyone *****es about. I have seen some negative post about the TP that are completely unjustified. It's like everyone wants to jump on the ****-flinging bandwagon JUST BECAUSE. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means but I wouldn't say any tablet is perfect or even close to it.

Applications are not everything, I don't even use my ipad anymore because I'm in love with my TP. The way I can operate around the OS and through apps really is lovely. The amount of useless apps on ios and android is ridiculous and even when I do find one I like I rarely use it. There is one app I need on my TP and that is a solid remote desktop app, fortunately that is on the way in the form of Splashtop. I'm set.
    I'll buy that iPad you never use anymore.

That seems more like a way for people to be blinded by their love of webOS. Netflix isn't making an app for it. Regardless of who volunteers to pay for it.
    Because webOS, as of right now, is dead in terms of new hardware being built for the platform. This means that the work Netflix would put into an app i only useful for the (relatively speaking) tiny population of HP TouchPad users, and only for a limited time (the length of time these particular Touchpads will function).

And as far as subscriptions go, my guess is most TouchPad owners interested in Netflix already have a subscription and are paying the $7-$15 a month already.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    Because webOS, as of right now, is dead in terms of new hardware being built for the platform. This means that the work Netflix would put into an app i only useful for the (relatively speaking) tiny population of HP TouchPad users, and only for a limited time (the length of time these particular Touchpads will function).

And as far as subscriptions go, my guess is most TouchPad owners interested in Netflix already have a subscription and are paying the $7-$15 a month already.
    *****lyPete, hold that thought. Looks like HP is planning on doing an end run around everyone right now:

CapitolJS Speech on webOS Development Suggests Liberal Licensing for Enyo | News |webOSroundup

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. If HP is successful in getting developers to switch to Enyo, they will be able to develop apps that will run on all three platforms (webOS, iOS, and Android) at the same time. So no more arguing over who has more apps, the quality of the apps, or app usefulness in the near future.
    *****lyPete, hold that thought. Looks like HP is planning on doing an end run around everyone right now:

CapitolJS Speech on webOS Development Suggests Liberal Licensing for Enyo | News |webOSroundup

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. If HP is successful in getting developers to switch to Enyo, they will be able to develop apps that will run on all three platforms (webOS, iOS, and Android) at the same time. So no more arguing over who has more apps, the quality of the apps, or app usefulness in the near future.
    That'd be cool. If if if maybe maybe maybe. Also it may or may not answer the question of quality of apps, depending on whether or not Enyo can match features across platforms, etc.

Also...'near' future? This is nowhere right now and possibly a long time away from actual wide scale implementation. Could go everywhere, could go nowhere. My personal guess is....good luck getting al the developers to switch over.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    That'd be cool. If if if maybe maybe maybe. Also it may or may not answer the question of quality of apps, depending on whether or not Enyo can match features across platforms, etc.

Also...'near' future? This is nowhere right now and possibly a long time away from actual wide scale implementation. Could go everywhere, could go nowhere. My personal guess is....good luck getting al the developers to switch over.
    It's a good idea, but even good ideas don't survive poor execution. HP has not proven themselves capable of executing a good idea by any means since Leo took over. It would be nice but I still give webOS until next August before it completely dies if HP doesn't do some drastic and fast. It's a start, but we have had too many of those. We need a finish.
    It's a good idea, but even good ideas don't survive poor execution. HP has not proven themselves capable of executing a good idea by any means since Leo took over. It would be nice but I still give webOS until next August before it completely dies if HP doesn't do some drastic and fast. It's a start, but we have had too many of those. We need a finish.
    HP just axed like almost all of their WebOS staff. WebOS is dead. I know everyone wants it to live on, but just let it go. HP slaughtered it and will probably use its remains for some printer OS or something stupid. No developers are going to switch to whatever HP is scheming up, if in fact they are scheming up anything, because no developer on Android or iOS cares if their apps run on WebOS. Its a dead platform unless HP does a COMPLETE about face and does something drastic, soon.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast