webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > How to watch videos on your Touchpad?
How to watch videos on your Touchpad?

Old 09/10/2011, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

All, I've been playing around with my touchpad, got around the fact usb won't upload by using the gret wifi media sync app, but I'd really like to be able to watch movies I've downloaded. Is there an app that can be used or something downloadable from preware to watch avi and other files? I'm just really surprised there's only a music player on the TP and not a standalone movie player.
rrrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2011, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

i use handbrake and dvd shrink to import movies to my touchpad first I rip the movies I want with dvdshrink ...the compress them down with hand brake, and transefer them over via usb
BIGNOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2011, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks. what format are they ripped to? id like to be able to use ones ive downloaded too.
rrrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2011, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

use kalemsoft media player it playes nearly all stuff.

maybe youre also interested in this http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3143686

but use at your own risk cause it breaks usb mode but works like charm
thomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2011, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

you can rip them to mp4
BIGNOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Guys,
need some help here. I can't seem to play videos or access my image files or video files on my touchpad. It is a brand new touchpad with 3.04 OS.

Picture: I saved some picture from online but they don't show up in the gallery. There are wallpapers that came with touchpad. I take my picture with webcam and save it and it does not show.

Video: Transferred a mp4 video to touchpad and it is not showing up.

What to do?
shrek 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Kalemsoft Media Player (paid) will play just about everything. So will touchPlayer (free).

Gemini File Manager (paid) lets you explore your TP's file system, with lots of features (copy/paste, create/delete...etc.).

I created Ebooks, Pictures, Music and Video directories in /media/internal. I use the stock app for pictures and music, touchPlayer for video and pReader Native for reading.
chicle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Should be noted that right now you can you can use the beta of kalemsoft for free to try it out, Its highly recommended. Unless I missed something touchplayer was still having 3.04 issues.
bioforce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Kalemsoft is free, but only for a trial period. It's a good app. I haven't had issues with touchPlayer, but that's me.
chicle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 10:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

I wanna palying 1080P mkv............
witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 11:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

MakeMKV is a free (for DVD), one program solution. Takes about 15 minutes to create an MKV container using an older quad core Intel system, probably even faster with the new quad cores.
MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD (version 1.6.16 just came out the other day).
This includes the decryption and rip.
You analyze it (decide what you want ripped), then start it, and that is it.
The MKV (Matroska container) is big, but you have plenty of room on your Touchpad. Matroska Media Container - Homepage | Matroska
Note: Fat 32 will not let you send over a file > 4gb though, so you have to break up some shows. I know Kalemsoft plays MKV, don't know about the built in player. I abandoned it quickly when I saw I could get a good player for $8.
I have found that you get louder sound if you select the non-default Stereo audio from the list after analysis. The dolby
Audio DD 2/0 English seems louder than the Audio DD 3/2+1 English (dolby digital 6 channel).
This makes a difference when on the treadmill with all the ambient noise around.
The Patch from Preware (Linux application) called: "Increase Touchpad Volume" helps too.
You can always turn down the volume, but seems like the max without this patch is not enough.
muerte33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty View Post
I wanna palying 1080P mkv............
That's really incredibly pointless on a TouchPad or any tablet for that matter. You want to play a 1920x1080 video file which probably has embedded 5.1 surround sound on a device that can only display 1024x768 (not even really 720p) and stereo sound. Reencode them to a more sensible format/size and save yourself several gigabytes of storage space.

Palm lineage:
PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 01:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Touchplayer works w/o issue for me on 3.0.4
Kneelbeforezod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Kalemsoft is worth the price.
Amourek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2011, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

I can only use the trial version of Kalem and that only works if the touchpad is connected to wifi even when playing local media. However, I'm in Hong Kong and Kalem isn't available in the Hong Kong app store and I don't have a US billing address let alone CC to purchase Kalem, very frustrating! Touchplayer actually never worked for me. DL, start it, find my file, tap to play and nothing, just highlights the file in green and doesn't do anything. I got this TP mainly for my fiance to watch anime and tv shows and currently, it can do nothing without wifi. I can convert the files to .mp4 (format factory) but on alot of the anime I lose the Chinese subtitles which then makes the anime completely useless as she doesn't speak Japanese.
Knightmare069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2011, 09:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare069 View Post
I can only use the trial version of Kalem and that only works if the touchpad is connected to wifi even when playing local media. However, I'm in Hong Kong and Kalem isn't available in the Hong Kong app store and I don't have a US billing address let alone CC to purchase Kalem, very frustrating! Touchplayer actually never worked for me. DL, start it, find my file, tap to play and nothing, just highlights the file in green and doesn't do anything. I got this TP mainly for my fiance to watch anime and tv shows and currently, it can do nothing without wifi. I can convert the files to .mp4 (format factory) but on alot of the anime I lose the Chinese subtitles which then makes the anime completely useless as she doesn't speak Japanese.
You can purchase KalemSoft Media Player, directly from their website. No need to worry about App Catalog restrictions; if you have a paypal account or create one then that's all you need.

The latest version of KalemSoft has subtitle support and a bunch of other features so I would try it out.
clayclay350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2011, 12:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
You can purchase KalemSoft Media Player, directly from their website. No need to worry about App Catalog restrictions; if you have a paypal account or create one then that's all you need.

The latest version of KalemSoft has subtitle support and a bunch of other features so I would try it out.
Yup! Just worked with Kalem's support team and got it DL'd onto the TP for my fiance now. Working like a charm so far. At the moment it's only got the files I transferred over that worked with the trial version so we'll see how it goes with the other files I have.
Knightmare069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2011, 03:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

I agree with BIGNOISE. Except I use dvd decrypter to rip the DVD. Handbrake has a batch encoder that you can let run at different OS priorities and pause when you actually need to use the computer for something else. Handbrake has re-encoded a lot of different video formats that I have thrown at it (avi, flv) so, I load it up at night and let it run. Also, I've been playing around with AtomicParsley to embed a thumbnail in the MP4 container. The thumbnail shows up in the standard TP movie player. I can use VLC to do a screen capture for whatever thumbnail I want to use.
billybongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2013, 10:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hi, I would like to watch MOV files on a WebOS HP Touchpad, while not being connected to the Internet or WIFI. I want to be able to watch them while I'm in a plane. What software/application do I need.....

I downloaded BHome - UPnP, but it wants to connect to some server.....
keesboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2013, 10:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Best solution (that I use daily) is to simply transfer the movies to your Touchpad via USB and then use the Kalemsoft Media Player (available in the App Catalog). That media player will play most types of video formats and it's a great app.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0