Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. uk1
    Thought I'd start a thread to track any experiences of customers in the UK who have a "cracked case".

I have the TP 64GB (white!) and it has a small hairline crack by the right speaker similar to the issue reported in other threads. Both the dealer and HP UK claim they do not know of any general problem and they tell me I'm the first to report it. My preference is to simply keep it in the hope the problem doesn't get worst with preferably an extension to the warranty. All HP UK are offering is to repair it.

I'd like to follow up my calls and email them but can't find a suitable email contact.

Anyone else in the UK have a similar defect and any experience to share of what is being offered by HP to UK customers?

Thanks,

Jeff
    my TP is fine however the charger was smashed to pieces in the box!
    I have a 32gb black touchpad that has the crack by the speaker and i am from the UK, it is currently in hugary for repair!! they collected it tuesday.

IT WILL GET WORSE SO GET IT FIXED!!

Also another UK person has this problem over on www.forums.overclockers.co.uk in the mobile and tablet forum called challengedavid

I have a feeling in the next month we are going to see ALOT about these cracks i treated mine like a baby and it was in a HP case!
    my TP 32 GB has the exact same crack above the speaker, can you guys tell me how did you contact HP?
  5. twe
    Wondering if HP have new cases though or replacing with the same ones? Otherwise the same issue will pop up again!
  6. uk1
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMAL123 View Post
    I have a 32gb black touchpad that has the crack by the speaker and i am from the UK, it is currently in hugary for repair!! they collected it tuesday.

IT WILL GET WORSE SO GET IT FIXED!!

Also another UK person has this problem over on www.forums.overclockers.co.uk in the mobile and tablet forum called challengedavid

I have a feeling in the next month we are going to see ALOT about these cracks i treated mine like a baby and it was in a HP case!
    Hi,

When you say "it will get worst" would you mind giving a touch more detail ie how long you had it, what was the original defect like, when you say it's worst - could you describe how the deterioration effected it's function, and how long before it got worst and how you contacted HP?

Thanks,

Jeff
  7. Dis
    Can someone posts pics of this fault. I don't have it but am interested.
  8. uk1
    Not a picture - but in my "case" it's a hairline crack a cm long beside the rt hand speaker.
    Exactly the same here - except by the left speaker. If I'd not been looking for it as a result of the conversations on here, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Am a little reluctant to send my device back for something so (at the moment) trivial. Am also reluctant to go the superglue route that a few of the chaps across the pond seem to have tried - if I do eventually send it back I reckon smothering it in glue won't do my cause much good. Am a bit unsure how best to proceed.
    May be talking to myself here, but trying to save myself having to wade through the maze that is HP UK's website - can anyone give me the most appropriate phone number to call for facilitating a repair? I was originally going to go through Comet (who I bought the TP from) but reckon best case scenario would be that I get a replacement that will itself crack. At least with HP they'll be less likely to dispatch a replacement with the same issue.

Edit: used the HP WebOS support line - 020 7660 0950 - very helpful chap whose accent I couldn't place at all (not an Indian call center). No quibbling, no messing around - they're sending a box, I put device in box, they take device, turn-around time is apparently a week.

Will keep people posted on how it goes. Fingers crossed :-)
    Last edited by Loccy; 09/13/2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    May be talking to myself here, but trying to save myself having to wade through the maze that is HP UK's website - can anyone give me the most appropriate phone number to call for facilitating a repair? I was originally going to go through Comet (who I bought the TP from) but reckon best case scenario would be that I get a replacement that will itself crack. At least with HP they'll be less likely to dispatch a replacement with the same issue.

Edit: used the HP WebOS support line - 020 7660 0950 - very helpful chap whose accent I couldn't place at all (not an Indian call center). No quibbling, no messing around - they're sending a box, I put device in box, they take device, turn-around time is apparently a week.

I thought i'd take a quick look at mine today - and I didn't even notice but mine has cracked too by the right hand speaker. Thanks Loccy for that number, i'll give them a call.
    I noticed cracks for the first time today before coming here for solutions. I have a bad crack on the right speaker going up to the glass, the case has some movement/separation. I also have a small crack on the left speaker coming from the same place but not going all the way to the glass yet.

Not sure if to wait and see what they do with other peoples or contact them now.

Also wondering what the cause is, volume to loud, heat issue?
  13. twe

Be good to know if you feel like its just a replacement of the case or have they done something to make it stronger? As in a bit of pressure testing or something?

Bought - sealed box from Comet - here in the UK on 23rd August along with an HP case - been in the case from day one.

And NO - it's never been dropped. HP will collect and repair.
    OK - so I called them and it's going to be shipped back to Budapest for a replacement.

'8-10 day turn around...'

Good service - if only they would also take fixing the awful media indexing bug as seriously - then I might of considered keeping it.
    Edit: used the HP WebOS support line - 020 7660 0950 - very helpful chap whose accent I couldn't place at all (not an Indian call center).
    HP Philippines Service Center.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordsComing View Post
    I noticed cracks for the first time today before coming here for solutions. I have a bad crack on the right speaker going up to the glass, the case has some movement/separation. I also have a small crack on the left speaker coming from the same place but not going all the way to the glass yet.

Not sure if to wait and see what they do with other peoples or contact them now.

Also wondering what the cause is, volume to loud, heat issue?
    I've used the loudspeakers about twice since having the device, so can't see how it'd be volume related. My device hasn't ever got that hot either, even overclocked. My own thought is over-tightened screws.
    I have the 32gb and don't have any cracks at all - which I am a little surprised about to be honest.. I put this thing through its paces every day.. Throw it onto my laptop bag, squash it down the side of the sofa.. Crank the volume up to the max (with the added volume app) I have it overclocking to 1.7 so it is a little 'warmer' than it should be but still no crack. I guess I am just one of the lucky ones. The only thing I can think of is that those with the cracks must hold onto it too tight/pout pressure on the bottom or something? - anyhow, its good to hear that HP are recognising and replacing the units.
  19. uk1
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchPadFan View Post
    OK - so I called them and it's going to be shipped back to Budapest for a replacement.

'8-10 day turn around...'

Good service - if only they would also take fixing the awful media indexing bug as seriously - then I might of considered keeping it.
    So you lose all your purchased apps?
    I am currently on my way home to my returned Touchpad. How about a sweepstake:

option 1: crack still there, nothing done other than wiping and wrapping in plastic

option 2: original TP repaired

option 3: new TP/perfect refurb

option 4: refurb with something wrong

My money's on option 1 :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast