Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    I am currently on my way home to my returned Touchpad. How about a sweepstake:

option 1: crack still there, nothing done other than wiping and wrapping in plastic

option 2: original TP repaired

option 3: new TP/perfect refurb

option 4: refurb with something wrong

My money's on option 1 :-)
    Was pleasantly surprised to find option 2 or 3 - can't quite tell which.

HP turned it round in under a week so anyone who's still hesitating, I'd say go for it.
    nice! Does the plastic feel different than before?
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMAL123 View Post
    I have a 32gb black touchpad that has the crack by the speaker and i am from the UK, it is currently in hugary for repair!! they collected it tuesday.

IT WILL GET WORSE SO GET IT FIXED!!

Also another UK person has this problem over on www.forums.overclockers.co.uk in the mobile and tablet forum called challengedavid

I have a feeling in the next month we are going to see ALOT about these cracks i treated mine like a baby and it was in a HP case!
    How long did you use it before it started to crack?

I received mine this past Saturday and have been checking daily. I put it in the HP case as soon as I opened it and so far no cracks.
    I probably had it for a little over a week before I noticed the crack. Not inconceivable that it was there before that though, as it was only this thread that made me really look. Mine was a very small hairline crack, which I wouldn't have been too bothered about but Jamal's post in this thread made me get it sorted.

Can't really tell if it's any better as it's gone straight into an HP case this time. If anything the plastic by the speaker felt thinner but I could just be looking for differences that aren't there.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Did you lose any apps/configs etc or was it returned as is.
    I currently haven't seen a crack on mine - but will continue looking.
    As mine is overclocked and has many apps, config changes and preware loaded, I don't want to return it and lose all that.

I suppose a full system backup might be a decent idea. Its off topic, but any recommendations here would help, not just me, but anyone else who needs to return their touchpad for repairs.

Cheers,

MD.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meggiedude View Post
    I suppose a full system backup might be a decent idea. Its off topic, but any recommendations here would help, not just me, but anyone else who needs to return their touchpad for repairs.

Cheers,

MD.
    Actually - I've just found my own answer to this - looks good advice:
    http://forums.precentral.net/3164825-post6.html
    Save/Restore is avail via Preware btw
    Quote Originally Posted by meggiedude View Post
    Did you lose any apps/configs etc or was it returned as is.
    Their standard practice is to wipe I'm afraid. They tell you that on the phone when you call to log the fault. I suppose it also makes it easier for them to opt to send a new/refurb unit rather than fix your original.

I also had quite a bit of customization done, but it only took me a couple of hours to replicate once I got the new unit. I did wipe my original unit before sending it back, though, just in case they got shirty with Uberkernel/overclocking.

As an aside - this time out I'm running Uber at original speeds (not overclocked) and you know something? I can't tell the difference once all the other performance patches have been done.
    Got a UPS package yesterday - only just! Returning from a doctors appointment - I saw the UPS van parked up with the driver ringing the neighbour's door bell.

WHY DON'T HP ORGANISE TRACKABLE RETURNS.

Anyway, I cannot decide whether the Touchpad has been replaced or repaired - the turnaround including shipping to and from Budapest, Hungary from the UK, took exactly 7 days that's pretty fast. Serial number is the same - but I'm sure HP can replicate serial numbers on units.

Checked it out - no cracks and as with my original unit - no pixel faults. BUT the opening black screen backlight bleed that I had from day one - that was so evident, has mysteriously vanished! Maybe I have a different unit - who knows. Put it in its case and left it charging on the Touchstone.

Will start to tweak it this weekend, when I have some time. I have another 32GB Touchpad still sealed which I'm saving for a Christmas present - bought at the same time - not sure whether to open it or not.
    To any of you who sent their Touchpad in for repairs, have new cracks appeared or is all good so far?
    I still haven't sent mine in yet as I went on holiday and then have had a huge work backlog. So wondering if to bother if new cracks appear anyway.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12