Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by b3d0u1n View Post
    No, I doubt it would help. The problem is the holes for the speakers are making the case weak and it snaps under its own weight and/or the pressure from the user's hands.
    That makes it a question of when instead of if a crack will happen.
    Pretty much. I see no point in sending them in for repairs when you'll likely get a refurb/used model that will break eventually anyway. At least I'm the first and only owner of this TouchPad, even if it is cracked.

Besides, I'm guessing all of the spare parts, if there are any, came from the same batch. It's a useless pursuit and your device will likely come back in worse shape.
    foh132 likes this.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Just noticed that I've have the left speaker crack on my second Touchpad (first one had cracks, too). Must be recent, wasn't there a few days ago. I regularly check and was just congratulating myself on having a Touchpad that was crack resistant. Oh, the hubris of it all.

Will call after the New Year and see if I can get it replaced.
    I wonder if we can put some sort of glue on the crack to make it stop getting bigger. Has to be some glue that with be very noticeable. Also weird how the crack is in the same exact spot on everyone's tp . Obvious flaw in the design
    Normally I do not like posting on forums but this just happened to me. I felt I should share my experience.

Anyway, let us flashback to a few weeks ago....

I turned on my Touchpad to read my comics (seriously the best reason to get one) and I got what looked like a "cracked" LCD.
    I was shocked. This device has never been dropped. EVER. As you can see, I even have the official HP case on it.
    First thing I did was contact HP via web chat (phone was closed). Everything seemed alright and they were gonna send me with instructions (I was giving three choices: Free, pay a little for quicker service, pay for a full replacement). At first I was gonna go with option #2.

The email never came.

Let's jump up to just an hour ago...

Well I decided to contact HP and this time they were more hesitant in sending me a box. In fact, they said the LCD voided the warranty and I would have to pay. Screw that. Good ol' Google brought me to this forum post...mostly the "Your Screen Might Be Next" part Well, I figured I look at the speaker area for cracks.

Guess what: I have two. One per a speaker.

Called again, got a much NICER HP Rep and I am getting a box.

Tips:
    SAVE EVERYONE REFERENCE NUMBER. I do not know how to stress this enough. There's a reason they give this to you. Use it to your advantage.

If you get a rude rep the first time, try try again. Maybe even a third time. Don't give up if you are not at fault. When you find that awesome rep who wants and does help you, be awesome back by giving great feedback on whatever survey they sent. This person helped you, help them back.

I've noticed a lot of requests for pictures of people's problems, I've posted mine to show.

All and all, YES, it is possible to get LCD issues if the crack on the speaker area is close to the glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I noticed a crack near my speaker before Christmas. Due to the holidays, I didn't investigate this problem on forums then. I must admit this is upsetting since my touchpad has been in a genuine HP case since day one. I gently dock my Touchpad on the touchstone dock. This has to be a manufacturing flaw. These issues were seen by Apple with the iPhone 3G and 3GS. It sucks that this is a discontinued product because there really is no recourse. I don't want a refurbished product in exchange for the one I have since I know mine has been treated well.
    hey everyone. I too had a touchpad that developed cracks. I sent my original unit and 3 weeks later....I received..
    needless to say I was furious. So.
    I sent that dud unit out. Hp then proceeded to avoid my emails facebook msgs and calls.
    I had to chase after them for several weeks until someone sent me a refurb unit without notifying me.
    I was about to go uptown for work and the ups truck swang by my home.
    the unit works good and I got a case off ebay so that I could avoid the case cracking again.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    in other words avoid sending it in at all cost. Hp is out of their minds right now. Customer service is extra bad.
    My "babied" TP just cracked this week. It spends most of the time on the TS charger so that might put stress on the bottom where the speakers are. The plastic at the crack sticks out enough to be a pain. I taped it with clear packing tape for now but just decided to check with HP Customer Service. I used the Chat forum and got great service. (Canada BTW) They are sending me a box to ship it back in and say they will replace it (case?) free of charge. I hope I get my same unit back but in any case (no pun intended) I will have a crack free TP for a little longer.
    Question - has anyone had teh newly replaced case crack a second time? or are the replacements better????
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    My "babied" TP just cracked this week. It spends most of the time on the TS charger so that might put stress on the bottom where the speakers are. The plastic at the crack sticks out enough to be a pain. I taped it with clear packing tape for now but just decided to check with HP Customer Service. I used the Chat forum and got great service. (Canada BTW) They are sending me a box to ship it back in and say they will replace it (case?) free of charge. I hope I get my same unit back but in any case (no pun intended) I will have a crack free TP for a little longer.
    Question - has anyone had teh newly replaced case crack a second time? or are the replacements better????
    Not particularly sure. It seems to be about the same and most often it winds up cracking again after awhile according to the poll I created to try and track whats happens to TP's after being sent in for repair.
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...e-back-hp.html

I've been on the fence about sending mine in but now I have no choice as I have a gaping hole in the side of my TP now since it cracked on one of the speakers on both sides all the way through to the screen causing the plastic that filled that gap to fall off. Luckily it fell outward not inwards.

Good to know you can do it through online Chat as I'd prefer to use that method myself. Hopefully it wont make a difference whether you get a repair or replacement. I'd like to just get the back casing replaced since my TP doesn't have any other issues(minus one tiny little stuck light blue pixel on the display only noticeable during startup/black screens).
    After more than 5 months mine cracked this evening - and I baby it. Not sure what I'll do about it...

Regards,
    GEWB
    I had a crack by my right speaker and crazy glued the broken plastic (it grew to completely separate into one connected side and one completely disconnected side - sticking out flapping like). I obviously chose to void my warranty instead of rolling the dice on a bunk refurb.

Ok, so fast forwarding a bit here but I have a probable answer as to why this occurs and it deals with charging the TP. The constant heating while charging and cooling once done puts stress on the plastic at the weakest points on the case (ports and speakers). I don't know if there is a difference using the TouchStone or the cable to charge since I have used both but I would suspect the TouchStone is more suspect since it uses induction coils on the back of the TP case.

Anyhow, I babied my TP and have never taken it out of it's third party, high quality protective case nor dropped it nor abused this device.

Heat is the only explanation in my opinion...

Thoughts?
    Well if it were heat related I doubt it would have anything to do with charging as heat from the cpu doing heavier tasks causes the TP to get much hotter then charging it does on both the TouchStone and regular cable method. Probably wouldn't crack around the speakers as well as often.

Sounds like its just very random. I know 3 others with touchpads, none of which have cracked. Mine of course is the only one that has which I babied as well and kept in the folio its entire life. In fact it rarely leaves my bedroom and has not left the house. It's been used very lightly as too because I was afraid it might crack and I was waiting for a solution to this issues from HP. On the other hand one of my friends doesn't have a case at all and treats it pretty roughly(throws it about constantly on the go in the car, counter tops, hard surfaces, etc) and hasn't experienced cracking.
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 02/15/2012 at 02:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    For the last time people, as stated many times in hare and also by HP, the cracks are cosmetic, not structural and will not travel into the screen area.
    Just saying What If while checking for cracks you drop your TP and shatter the screen area...would that be a contributing factor from the crack itself.....just a What If

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Just curious, I keep being told that HP will still send you a case to help avoid the cracks? Has anyone done this recently - is it still true?
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    Well if it were heat related I doubt it would have anything to do with charging as heat from the cpu doing heavier tasks causes the TP to get much hotter then charging it does on both the TouchStone and regular cable method. Probably wouldn't crack around the speakers as well as often.

Sounds like its just very random. I know 3 others with touchpads, none of which have cracked. Mine of course is the only one that has which I babied as well and kept in the folio its entire life. In fact it rarely leaves my bedroom and has not left the house. It's been used very lightly as too because I was afraid it might crack and I was waiting for a solution to this issues from HP. On the other hand one of my friends doesn't have a case at all and treats it pretty roughly(throws it about constantly on the go in the car, counter tops, hard surfaces, etc) and hasn't experienced cracking.
    Have you pulled your Touchpad off the TouchStone lately? Serious question? Run it down to about 50% and then charge it, then pull it off the TS and feel the back. It's a hell of a lot warmer than you think. Especially warmer than CPU usage hot. Oh and keep it in its case too as usual. It's also an accumulative process and not a one off deal. Think plastic cups in dishwasher...

The plastic case is closed to a tight fit as we all know since there isn't any free space in the packaging of the tablet. It's under pressure obviously. Heating up the large battery, which just so happens to be directly beneath the case definitely plays a role in the cracking of the unit in my opinion. Here is a battery disassembly tutorial with detailed pictures off of ifixit Installing HP TouchPad Battery - iFixit so you can see the layout for yourself.

It will also help some of you understand why you get tool marks on your TouchPad back from repair and the resulting creaky plastic. This thing wasn't meant to be opened.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 02/15/2012 at 12:02 PM.
    Just noticed mine cracked as well. I noticed it on my flight today. Terrible. The right speaker looks like has one crack that is broken in and radiant cracks. The other side has just radiant cracks. Funny that it happened during my trip as I didn't bring the TS but charged it the old fashioned way with the USB cord. Those radiant cracks suggest acute pressure around that area but from what I don't know. Btw it was also in its HP case since I got it last month. I still love it but it bugs me.
    I just noticed my TP crack tonight near the left speaker. It's been in the HP Folio case for months and is usually sitting on the TS. So now I need to decide what to do. It doesn't seem to affect the screen, so right now, it's just annoying. And like others, I don't want to get some other refurbished TP back just to have it have the same problem. What to do?
    My TP developed hairline cracks in both speakers shortly after I got it in October. Since my TP wasn't under warranty anyway (its one of the 4G 32GB models given to WebOS employees) I figured I might as well try gluing it to reinforce it. I chose epoxy because superglue doesn't work on plastics and PVC glue, though wonderful in its bonding capabilities, is harsh, runny, and only works on true PVC. I bought a small paintbrush from an art supply store and painted around both speakers with the epoxy to keep the application as neat as possible.

I've had somewhat mixed success with it so far. The crack in one speaker has stabilized but the crack in the other speaker seems to be slowly migrating towards the screen under the epoxy. It does appear to be moving more slowly than it was before I put the epoxy on but I can't be certain. I'm considering applying another coat of epoxy or putting some in the space between the case and the screen in that area to further stabilize it.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    after reading this, i looked on my touchpad. 16gb i got from HP SMB in Oct. i never checked before and it has been in the case all the time.
    I have two small hairline cracks at each speaker, and one at the earphone jack.
    I think i will contact HP and see what i can do,

anyone who sent their back, did you doctor, or wipe the device first?

i am sure many of you have had preware on. if you have prewared, what have you removed?

also, i would like to know how many people have a hairline crack near there earphone jacks,
    i do not have have any cracks elsewhere.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast