Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Laying it down on any hard surface seems to damage it... I'm always keeping it in the case!
    I thought you guys just had bad luck. Then I just looked at my touchpad and found a crack beside one of the speakers. Damn.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewjenk View Post
    There were also complaints about the Ipads cracking, so now what? If Apple gave away IPADS there would be something wrong with it..................PEOPLE..................Years ago I sold HANDCRAFTED chrystal glasses. People would return thhem because the set did not match perfectly,,,,,,,,,,,Duhhhhhhhhhhhh, thats why they are handcrafted..........Remember people usually turn to forums to complain and don't even seek help from the company or product manufacturor in question. It is usually not representative of the whole product.
    No iPad casings cracked. Maybe the screen, but not the back casing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pandorazboxx View Post
    I thought you guys just had bad luck. Then I just looked at my touchpad and found a crack beside one of the speakers. Damn.
    Me too! ***!, never dropped or mishandled...................................The left one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    Could you provide some insight on how you came to that conclusion?
    Cause I never thought that a crack could mysteriously appear like that until I saw one on my TP last night, this is crap////////////////
    Now that we all have cracks,,,,,,,,,,,,what is HP doing about it................This is definitely a design flaw.....................................................
    Now that we all have cracks,,,,,,,,,,,,what is HP doing about it................This is definitely a design flaw.....................................................
    Maybe this is why it was $99 /$149
    Me too! ***!, never dropped or mishandled...................................The left one.
    left one for me too
    Quote Originally Posted by nycmaster View Post
    Maybe this is why it was $99 /$149
    no... it was $99/$149 because webOS is a substandard, half-baked tablet OS
    that could not compete with iOS and Android... HP pricing it at $499 intially
    also didint' help.

after using my Touchpads for a month, I have to say that webOS had great
    potential, if HP put more effort into making it more polished and well-equipped
    out of the box, before rushing it to the market.
    Yup, just noticed the crack on my left speaker. Wonder if it's worth trying for a repair
    Screen might be next? Seriously OP?

Two different materials, and they are two different parts.

This is not like the pre's which had a plastic shell covering the screen. Where it was one whole plastic part that cracked.

People, take a breath and enjoy your touchpad.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    also didint' help.

Yeah, I mean, it couldn't be because the HP CEO is an ex-SAP guy who wants to change HP and go into the direction on operating like SAP use to. You know, focusing on enterprise software and support. Even going through the trouble of giving up their hold on hardware as the worlds largest computer manufacturer. All by wanting to sell off their personal systems group, stopping production of even Personal Computers (PCs).

No, it was that darn touchpad. I mean, it didn't destroy the mighty iPad 2 after a month and a half on its first and only iteration, with a single system update! Silly, silly touchpad. Didn't they know people are only interested in Apple tablets? It's an iPad market. No wait, what am I saying... obviously Andriod tablets are selling just as well as iPads. Yeah.
    Last edited by LinuxKoss; 09/20/2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Sarcasm
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    just noticed a crack all of the way through at the speaker closest to the camera. A week ago it wasn't there and I have only used it on the couch 3 of the last 7 days. Cracked from the screen edge to the speaker edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    Yeah, I mean, it couldn't be because the HP CEO is an ex-SAP guy who wants to change HP and go into the direction on operating like SAP use to. You know, focusing on enterprise software and support. Even going through the trouble of giving up their hold on hardware as the worlds largest computer manufacturer. All by wanting to sell off their personal systems group, stopping production of even Personal Computers (PCs).

No, it was that darn touchpad. I mean, it didn't destroy the mighty iPad 2 after a month and a half on its first and only iteration, with a single system update! Silly, silly touchpad. Didn't they know people are only interested in Apple tablets? It's an iPad market. No wait, what am I saying... obviously Andriod tablets are selling just as well as iPads. Yeah.

It's a good thing that Apotheker is a foreign national who cannot run for president
    in the US. Can you imagine what he'll do if the US is at war with China or Russia?
    If we cannot defeat the Chinese or Russians, Apotheker will probably raise a white
    flag and hand over the keys to the White House and start a fire sale on air force
    fighter jets, aircraft carriers, and ICBMs.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I looked today. I got a crack also and mine has been in a case since day 1. An obvious design flaw. If it doesnt get worse for $99 i can live with it
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Add me to the list of new TP owners' "crack problem" list.

I've been checking since the issue was mentioned. Low and behold...as I entered into this thread and looked at mine again, I have a small crack on the speaker located on the home button side of the TP. This sucks!
    I just got a demo unit that has a sunken screen, i called hp and they are sending me a box...should i call back and get the refurbished option or do they fix them ok? anyone gotten theirs back already?
    I am praying for no cracks in mine, but after reading all these posts, I thought about the charging orientation in landscape mode, which forces you to put the device speaker-side down on the Touchpad. I think I'm going to charge in portrait mode forever.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Yesterday, my heart sank as I noticed a crack near the top Touchpad speaker yesterday (I really don't like gadgets with cracks and scratches). I don't know how long it's been there but the Touchpad has been in its rubber HP case since day 1 (I received mine in late September), has not been dropped or overclocked. Turns out the issue is more common than I thought, and I may have an explanation why. Here are photos of mine:

The crack is there, but you can also see that the plastic seems to have a tendency to bend upwards (2nd photo), which might be linked to the display: as can be seen more clearly from the 3rd photo, the glass starts to protrude out of the case immediately to the right of the speaker. It might be hard to tell if yours is doing the same but if you slide your thumb along the edge of the device where the glass meets the case you should feel a noticeable bump where the glass starts to protrude. As the plastic is the thinnest near the speaker it becomes the weakest point of the case and cracks most easily under pressure from the protruding glass and minimal use of the device.

Now, clearly, judging by the other responses, this is a design flaw, but what can one do? Will this be covered under warranty?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Right speaker cracked on mine Damn :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    also didint' help.

I wish iOS and andriod were 1/2 as good as webos, I'd be on one.. LOL The down fall wasn't in the OS but the app market. Really it comes with as much if not more built in's than any os out there.. HP just needed to get the dev's behind it making more apps. A more aggressive marketing plan showing the many positive features it has over every other OS would have been a good idea... but all they really needed to do was come into the market priced right to get some market share and it would have been a different story (still can be iMO)

PS not everyone has cracks.. we have 4 of these now and none have cracks.. when in use typically we have the HP flip case on them. Granted only one has over a month of use on it. Time will tell. My theory still stands.. picking these up just by one corner is what looks to be the issue.. too much weight and it snaps in the corner.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast