Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    32gb unit here in the UK, bought for firesale price.

Never been in a case, kept it in a neoprene sleave, never overclocked and never dropped or treated at all roughly. I have a crack on the top left speaker plastic, from speaker to screen and its lifting up a bit.

Not sure what to do with it, I was going to use it for work but with no proxy-support on WIfi it wont work on the school networks, I cant get quickoffice to see the excel sheets I need to use offline for love nor money and now this crack.. I might just dab some glue on and leave it for browsing the web from the sofa.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by riverer View Post
    32gb unit here in the UK, bought for firesale price.

Never been in a case, kept it in a neoprene sleave, never overclocked and never dropped or treated at all roughly. I have a crack on the top left speaker plastic, from speaker to screen...
    overclocking won't crack your TP ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by llamabox View Post
    overclocking won't crack your TP ;-)
    I dunno man... I know a guy who put like 3 of those ghz things in there and it cracked.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    zc1, timjhenry and Dis like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    I dunno man... I know a guy who put like 3 of those ghz things in there and it cracked.

you mean overclocked to 3GHz? I didn't know that was possible....
    won't the excess heat melt the stuff around the processor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I dunno. He was talking about putting some oval clocks in it but I don't know how to fit any in there.

zc1 and Dis like this.
  6. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    He's funnin' with you.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    bast! Prompted by this thread I checked... Tiny crac k by left spkr . Never been dropped or stressed. Until now I was thinking one of the good points about the TP was the build quality. :-(
    Can people with the cracked case take some pictures to show what it looks like? I'm curious to see...
  9.    #69  
    could you guys take this poll? It's related.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ment-poll.html
    I have the crack. I am just going to put a case on it. It dosen't bother me.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    It only bothers me if it worsens...
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Can someone post a picture of this so-called speaker crack? Is the crack on the speaker itself or is it the general plastic body? I've looked at my Touchpad and don't see anything. I see a line on the speaker but I think it's a scratch more than anything/

edit: it's amazing what a quick google search can yield:

(the cracks are obvious -- on the plastic surrounding the speaker

http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/07/...smetic-defect/ (cracks are much more faint in this one)

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3147550 from some guy in our forums

since these are cracks ON the plastic, the scratch on my speaker is probably just that, a scratch.
    Last edited by nexus14; 09/17/2011 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
    Can someone post a picture of this so-called speaker crack? Is the crack on the speaker itself or is it the general plastic body? I've looked at my Touchpad and don't see anything. I see a line on the speaker but I think it's a scratch more than anything/

EXCLUSIVE: HP Quickly Replacing Select TouchPads For Cosmetic Defect [UPDATE] | Featured, News |webOSroundup (cracks are much more faint in this one)

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3147550 from some guy in our forums

since these are cracks ON the plastic, the scratch on my speaker is probably just that, a scratch.
    also check Youtube... (edit: Youtube removed my video because I forgot to change
    my Touchpad's wallpaper which contained full female nudity, before I uploaded the
    video) There are a couple of other videos showing the cracks.
    Last edited by Touchpaddle; 09/17/2011 at 05:55 PM.
    it will worsen. Mine went from hair line cracks to completely cracked and movable pieces. HP customer service hasn't been great either....
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    lol

hp sold 1 million touchpads and after a year 750000 will go back due to cracked plastic.

of course hp dont have tps for replacement.

nice work @ hp

did hp ever heard about something called Aluminium

sad. this is really an absolute reason to give my tp away
    There were also complaints about the Ipads cracking, so now what? If Apple gave away IPADS there would be something wrong with it..................PEOPLE..................Years ago I sold HANDCRAFTED chrystal glasses. People would return thhem because the set did not match perfectly,,,,,,,,,,,Duhhhhhhhhhhhh, thats why they are handcrafted..........Remember people usually turn to forums to complain and don't even seek help from the company or product manufacturor in question. It is usually not representative of the whole product.

Sorry guys, I have to eat these words. Looked at my TP last night and found a crack on the left side near the speaker. What the hell!

I must admit and apologize to anyone offended. This is bully sheeeet.
    Last edited by jewjenk; 09/19/2011 at 04:44 PM.

EXCLUSIVE: HP Quickly Replacing Select TouchPads For Cosmetic Defect [UPDATE] | Featured, News |webOSroundup (cracks are much more faint in this one)

Those videos look like the TP was dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewjenk View Post
    Could you provide some insight on how you came to that conclusion?
    Quote Originally Posted by jewjenk View Post
    Those are my videos, and my Touchpad was never dropped!

As I stated in my OP - it was put into an HP case from day one. What you don't realise is how an HD camera can accentuate details - if you just glanced at the Touchpad you would not notice the cracks straight away. Also once cracks have developed, they may be further damaged by the tension that the HP case puts onto the corner areas near the speakers - remember the plastic is very thin there! - the HP case is a very tight fit!

It's now in Hungary being repaired - I hope.

BTW, I have another Touchpad bought at the same time - presumably from the same batch. I have not opened the sealed box yet. I mulling over the idea of taking it to HP's UK HQ - I don't live far away and getting them to witness me opening it just in case those cracks were from the factory! Yeah, I know that sounds crazy - but that's the kind of paranoia that sets in when you end up being accused of damaging the product.

Thanks for providing the videos and photos. I am kind of relieved to know what I see on my TP speaker is a scratch, too.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    well i had no crack last week then a small one developed about 2 days ago and has now doubled in size to about 1\2 a cm. Its spreading from the left speaker towards the back of casing

Never been dropped or in any case
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast