Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    .........presented me these offers:

2. 1 Year Accidental Damage worth $80 for Free (Starts after my warranty ends)

I finally got a chance to look closely at my Touchpads. #1 had no cracks that I can see.
    #2 & #3 each had little hairline cracks, each about 1/4-inch to 1/inch. (the beginning
    stages? )

As I don't fancy getting a repaired/refurbished unit, I would prefer to get the free
    accidental damage protection on the two Touchpads with cracks.

However, I called HP and spoke to two different repa. They were unaware of such offers.
    I also did an online chat and that rep told me that she could get me a "new" Touchpad
    replacement. I'm pretty sure she meant "newly refurbished" or something like that....

Can anyone tell me I can convince HP to sign me up for the 1-year accidental coverage?

Thanks!
    My white 64GB Touch Pad developed two cracks near one of the speakers sometime today. (They just magically appeared.) So it's not immune either.
    Bummer, my 32gb version has a crack on the left speaker too. Got it Aug 23rd. It's been in the HP branded case the entire time, too.

Thanks for the heads up in this thread, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    lol

hp sold 1 million touchpads and after a year 750000 will go back due to cracked plastic.

of course hp dont have tps for replacement.

nice work @ hp

did hp ever heard about something called Aluminium

sad. this is really an absolute reason to give my tp away
    I can give my address to send it to when you get fed up, :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ailire View Post
    My white 64GB Touch Pad developed two cracks near one of the speakers sometime today. (They just magically appeared.) So it's not immune either.
    Does HP even have white 64GB Touchpads to exchange?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    i spoke with a manager and i got my advance replacement for 1 dollar on my credit card. i was nasty and got my way.
    When I first started reading about the cracks, I bought this Speck hardshell case Speck Products | Speck Products SeeThru Case for iPad | Hard iPad Cover | SeeThruiPad Case made for IPad at either TJ Maxx or Ross (can't remember which one) for $5. The IPad has more square corners so there is a slight gap around TP's corners but the TP locked in tightly just like an IPad. It protects the back and sides great. Though there was no slits for the speakers, the sound was still pretty nice. I did however mark where the speakers were and cut slits with my Dremel which let the full sound out. The headphone jack holes did not line up but there was a secondary hole that did, which I enlarged with a drill. The soft spots for the power button and volume control did line up. For $5 (was $30 - $40) it works and looks great as well as filled my original need of protecting the sides and back. The raised rectangle you see on the back makes holding the slippery TP in one hand a breeze and it slides into a padded HP sleeve which has built-in handles and 3 pockets that hold the charger, USB cable, headphones and my cellphone.
    Last edited by picassokat; 09/16/2011 at 02:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    I bought my TP on the 20th and noticed when i held the TP in portrait mode that the right top and right bottom corners were slightly sunken in about a 1/3 cm below the plastic housing. Didn't pay much mind to it because I loved my new device.
    ..... The top right and bottom right corners have sunken in a full cm. The entire left edge of the glass screen is lifted.
    Im surprised no one has noticed this yet... I just now read this thread. Perhaps the OP made a typo... twice... but both of these statements are impossible. The Touchpad is only about 1 cm thick in its entirety. Did he mean millimeters? If so, then this problem is not as bad as it seems. At any rate, a picture would have helped, but apparently its too late for that.

At any rate, Ive had two TPs... a day one purchase, which I took back after three weeks not due to problems but just with disappointment with HPs failed promises regarding functions still not available. It had no cracks or defects of any kind. Then, I got the $99 one the day they dropped the price, and have been using it daily... and no cracks, no light bleeding, nothing.

I believe that there are many who have the problem, because Ive had several Pres, and still use one... and it has a crack. But like anything, the complainers with defective units will always be much louder than the quiet content users without the defect. Such is life. At least HP is trying to help them out. They could just be saying "sorry, weve dropped the device, and heres a check for $99".
    Mine has a crack by the left speaker and is all the way through. It is a 32GB model. Trying to decide what to do. This is a minor annoyance compared to the fact that I cannot get it to turn off right now. I am just going to let the battery die completely and then pray it works properly after recharge.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    Im surprised no one has noticed this yet... I just now read this thread. Perhaps the OP made a typo... twice... but both of these statements are impossible. The Touchpad is only about 1 cm thick in its entirety. Did he mean millimeters? If so, then this problem is not as bad as it seems. At any rate, a picture would have helped, but apparently its too late for that.
    Thanks for the catch, I'll fix that.

On another note, my other touchpad now has a crack in the same place. So HP is sending me another case. Got to love HP's customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYLARKBOY86 View Post
    a little (LITTLE!!) super glue goes a long way
    Yep. One drop with one of the tiny pin-drop applicators into the crack and mine has been perfect after a crack that made it through from edge to speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by flyboynm View Post
    Mine has a crack by the left speaker and is all the way through. It is a 32GB model. Trying to decide what to do. This is a minor annoyance compared to the fact that I cannot get it to turn off right now. I am just going to let the battery die completely and then pray it works properly after recharge.
    Are you just holding the button? I get the feeling holding the button to power on and off might cause issues over time. I always turn mine off with Device Info --> Reset Options --> Shut Down and power it on by placing it on the Touchstone.
    overclocking result in more heat ? Could that cause the plastic to crack? Knock on plastic, I don't have one that is defective or on crack yet !
    immaculate 32GB here. No complaints.

you guys got a lemon. But for the price, no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by folly412 View Post
    Are you just holding the button? I get the feeling holding the button to power on and off might cause issues over time. I always turn mine off with Device Info --> Reset Options --> Shut Down and power it on by placing it on the Touchstone.
    Why are you guys turning off your TouchPads? I haven't turned off either of ours once.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    I have no idea, I was told it is Gorilla Glass, however, this does not matter, as the reason behind my post was to put this entire thread to rest, as the crack from the plastic body cannot spread to the [whatever kind of] glass screen on the TouchPad. The original Pre body cracked and could spread to the screen because it was all the same piece of plastic.
    I think your attempt is ill-placed. The OP wasn't saying your screen would crack, it's just a bad title for the thread. The OP is saying that the plastic cracking led to his/her screen no longer fitting secure in the casing & shifting in a manner that is not intended.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Quote Originally Posted by djphatjive View Post
    My wife's original Pre has cracks on it and the slide keyboard went all crazy, Her Evo 4G has cracks all over the bezel like almost anyone that owned one. My iPhone 3GS does not. I have had it 2 years and there is nothing wrong with it and no scratches. Know why? I never used it until I had a case on it. Same with the TouchPad. I got mine, waited 4 days to open it so I could get my case and put it on. Still looks new and no cracks. My 7 year old even plays with it and still no cracks. Use a case people. Works for me anyway.

Sucks some people are having this problem though.
    I've had two devices with cracking & both were in the folio case the instant they came out of the box. Cases will not prevent this cracking.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Has anyone that called HP about the crack and accepted the ADP plan receive a call yet with the ADP app promotion code information? They told me someone would call within 24-48 hours and that was about 52 hours ago...
    I think I called them around 2pm EST, they called me back that night at 9.48pm. I was slightly annoyed by the late call, but at least it was within my unlimited calling time.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    I've had two devices with cracking & both were in the folio case the instant they came out of the box. Cases will not prevent this cracking.
    Be VERY gentle securing your TP in the Folio case the first time you put it on. Users may have been pressing the side where the speakers are with some force or trying to jam it in, which can create stress cracks that grow larger in time.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I got the cracks before the case on my touchpad, but I have a good feeling that super glue might be the best method, maybe i will try to get a free case or something :P
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast