Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 143
Like Tree8Likes
  1. #21  
    The screen cannot crack from the plastic body being cracked. The original Pre had this issue because the body and screen were all the same piece of plastic, so the crack that started at the USB port could spread across the screen. On the TouchPad, the plastic body is one piece and the Gorilla Glass screen is another, there can be no spread from body to screen.
    kill_dano likes this.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    The screen cannot crack from the plastic body being cracked. The original Pre had this issue because the body and screen were all the same piece of plastic, so the crack that started at the USB port could spread across the screen. On the TouchPad, the plastic body is one piece and the Gorilla Glass screen is another, there can be no spread from body to screen.
    I've seen some people say that the TP has Gorilla Glass and others say that there's nothing confirming that. I'm fairly confident that my Pre2 has it (although why that is I no longer remember), but is there anything official/quasi-official that states the TP has Gorilla Glass? And while I'm asking, anything official for the Pre2?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoRed View Post
    I've seen some people say that the TP has Gorilla Glass and others say that there's nothing confirming that. I'm fairly confident that my Pre2 has it (although why that is I no longer remember), but is there anything official/quasi-official that states the TP has Gorilla Glass? And while I'm asking, anything official for the Pre2?
    I have no idea, I was told it is Gorilla Glass, however, this does not matter, as the reason behind my post was to put this entire thread to rest, as the crack from the plastic body cannot spread to the [whatever kind of] glass screen on the TouchPad. The original Pre body cracked and could spread to the screen because it was all the same piece of plastic.
  4. thomaz's Avatar
    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    #24  
    lol

    hp sold 1 million touchpads and after a year 750000 will go back due to cracked plastic.

    of course hp dont have tps for replacement.

    nice work @ hp

    did hp ever heard about something called Aluminium

    sad. this is really an absolute reason to give my tp away
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    lol

    hp sold 1 million touchpads and after a year 750000 will go back due to cracked plastic.

    of course hp dont have tps for replacement.

    nice work @ hp

    did hp ever heard about something called Aluminium

    sad. this is really an absolute reason to give my tp away
    This has been discussed... aluminium would have removed the Touchstone...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6. thomaz's Avatar
    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    #26  
    you can cut out an area at the back to receive power.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    The screen cannot crack from the plastic body being cracked. The original Pre had this issue because the body and screen were all the same piece of plastic, so the crack that started at the USB port could spread across the screen. On the TouchPad, the plastic body is one piece and the Gorilla Glass screen is another, there can be no spread from body to screen.
    True true, although one might argue that having an outer casing crack in half might have some effect on your touchpad remaining in one piece .

    It also makes me wonder if the touchpad is built similarly to my old pre, with a touchscreen laid under a "cover" (in this case, gorilla glass). On my pre, my touchscreen kept shattering -underneath- the outer casing. There was no visible reason or damage from outside, just a nice peacock of glass shatter underneath the surface. At any rate, I don't think I'll be doing the "pen test" on this particular device .
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    you can cut out an area at the back to receive power.
    Then you would be looking at the same potential issues. Not to mention the way the TP orients on the TS would make this cut out awkward.

    Just curious, have you used the TP on a TS? Besides the issues mentioned above, I would wonder how much the surrounding metal would heat up. I see more issues trying to use metal and a cut out then just using plastic as far as wear and tear.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    I have no idea, I was told it is Gorilla Glass, however, this does not matter, as the reason behind my post was to put this entire thread to rest, as the crack from the plastic body cannot spread to the [whatever kind of] glass screen on the TouchPad. The original Pre body cracked and could spread to the screen because it was all the same piece of plastic.
    The reality is that once the main shell is compromised the stress on the screen may be huge. The screen rather than being supported by the case could become the structure holding the whole thing together. At that point - all bets are off the panel is no longer protected by the case and could easily fail.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Then you would be looking at the same potential issues. Not to mention the way the TP orients on the TS would make this cut out awkward.

    Just curious, have you used the TP on a TS? Besides the issues mentioned above, I would wonder how much the surrounding metal would heat up. I see more issues trying to use metal and a cut out then just using plastic as far as wear and tear.
    Still they could have done what HTC did with the sensation

  11. #31  
    This is the main reason I sold the one I was using. It's not a question of if it will crack, but when.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by brilldoctor View Post
    Still they could have done what HTC did with the sensation

    My point it, if the build quality is the same, you are NOT removing the potential for cracking.

    As I said a few months back in the original cracking thread. This is not just a material used issue, but a design flaw. The same speaker design in aluminum could have lead to damage as well, just not cracking.

    Then there is the factor that the curved edges of the speaker location rest on the TS, so the plastic would have to start near the edge (leading to another potential weak point).

    The answer to this problem isn't simply aluminum, but a redesign (or loss of touchstone capability, which would still have been a redesign).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #33  
    I am sure that a member here had taken his cracked touchpad to pieces and I think he concluded that it was due to overtight screws?
  14. #34  
    My wife's original Pre has cracks on it and the slide keyboard went all crazy, Her Evo 4G has cracks all over the bezel like almost anyone that owned one. My iPhone 3GS does not. I have had it 2 years and there is nothing wrong with it and no scratches. Know why? I never used it until I had a case on it. Same with the TouchPad. I got mine, waited 4 days to open it so I could get my case and put it on. Still looks new and no cracks. My 7 year old even plays with it and still no cracks. Use a case people. Works for me anyway.

    Sucks some people are having this problem though.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by djphatjive View Post
    My wife's original Pre has cracks on it and the slide keyboard went all crazy, Her Evo 4G has cracks all over the bezel like almost anyone that owned one. My iPhone 3GS does not. I have had it 2 years and there is nothing wrong with it and no scratches. Know why? I never used it until I had a case on it. Same with the TouchPad. I got mine, waited 4 days to open it so I could get my case and put it on. Still looks new and no cracks. My 7 year old even plays with it and still no cracks. Use a case people. Works for me anyway.

    Sucks some people are having this problem though.
    Funny, my wife wouldn't hardly user her TP until her HP case showed up yesterday. As soon as that went on she had it out all night, and was talking about storing it in the generic ipad zipper case we got for $12 shipped off amazon.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  16. #36  
    I've got the crack on the left speaker.
    this has also caused a little give in the screen when pressed/held in that area--can only see in dark conditions. The other TP I have has no give whatsoever. . . Guess I had better get it fixed before it cracks the screen :-(
  17. #37  
    For the last time people, as stated many times in hare and also by HP, the cracks are cosmetic, not structural and will not travel into the screen area.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    For the last time people, as stated many times in hare and also by HP, the cracks are cosmetic, not structural and will not travel into the screen area.
    well, the TP with the crack has give/flex in the screen when you hold the TP in that area and it is causing some light to bleed through. . . I guess you can call that cosmetic as the device still functions but how long till that constant flexing of the screen causes significant bleed through or possibly a crack to develop?
  19. #39  
    I don't have a crack but after reading this thread I'll sure be calling hp to get a free case
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Make sure you get the 7 year/100k mile bumper to bumper extended warranty???
    or get a Mercedes....


    My Mercedes is very old... a 1997 model. When I bought it, it had 6 miles on the odometer.
    13 years and 152,000 miles later, it's still running fine. I recently brought it tothe dealer for
    routine service. Apparently MBUSA released a new service campaign to fix a harmonic
    balancer issue. A lot of vehicles had hairline cracks in the harmonic balancer which was
    traced back to a bad part produced by an OEM part maker. The dealer didn't even tell me
    about the repair until I noticed it on the invoice. When a vehicle comes in and the dealer
    computer spots the affected VIN, the job is automatically added to the work order. The
    charge on my bill was $0.00. The service advisor told me MBUSA was picking up the $823
    repair bill.

    (unfortunately, recent Mercedes are so ugly that I have defected to one of their competitors)
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions