1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

take care,

Jay

Cheap tablets no sale, HP TouchPad not representative of the market
    By James Kendrick | September 8, 2011, 1:07pm PDT

Cheap tablets no sale, HP TouchPad not representative of the market | ZDNet

Summary: Companies looking to compete with the iPad have vainly looked for the magic bullet to use with their tablets. Contrary to what we saw with the TouchPad, a $100 price is not the primary factor.

The group of companies trying to make an iPad competitor may have learned a bad lesson from the HP TouchPad cancellation and subsequent sell-off. The lines at stores to get a $99 TouchPad and high-volume sales online may convince OEMs that cheap is the feature to garner big sales numbers. I hate to burst their bubble but I do not believe that is the case.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    One thing is for certain though. You cannot try to out-build an iPad and price match it. That's simply a non-starter. At $499 & $599 there is only one tablet. Period.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    One thing is for certain though. You cannot try to out-build an iPad and price match it. That's simply a non-starter. At $499 & $599 there is only one tablet. Period.
    Hi all,

I agree with you 100%....it should be interesting to see Amazon's tablet...b/c it created an OS that in effect works on top of existing Android OS...in fact Android's OS is submerged that you most like would be using and only Amazon's software is used.

Amazon is believed to be losing on every unit. The will make up the money buy having people download music, apps & books...

I still think HP should have approached Amazon the minute they bought Palm/webOS.

1. an interface would have been created to let you seamlessly download apps, books and music....

2. webOS with it's cards and stacks would have been very easy to use. HP should have made Amazon an offer it couldn't refuse to use webOS. Perhaps they still can?

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    HP is a company that seems to have no clue and simply caters to the whims of their CEOs as opposed to the other way round. The current CEO's brain is wired for enterprise and consequently has little (if any) vision when it comes to the consumer market. HP needed to eat some dog food before the rib eye steak i.e. get webOS in people hands by pricing at $199/$299 and making it available globally. Then build from there by throwing money at developers to get the ecosystem going.

Then do a mega update to webOS...one that quashes all bugs and improves performance and put it next-gen hardware...let webOS sing and then market market market. But with the Leotard at the helm that was never gonna happen.

Amazon is the tablet to watch out for...then again that fruity company has a habit of pulling one out the bag. They might decide to launch the next tablet at $399 or even $299. They also have iTunes media store and the App store (even iBooks) as post-purchase revenue generators too. Granted not to the scale of Amazon's.
    Last edited by kanaka; 09/08/2011 at 10:29 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Hi,

I agree with you about both HP and Amazon....Amazon can afford to lose money on tablets so that is supply stream is generating mega funds!

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

I agree with you about both HP and Amazon....Amazon can afford to lose money on tablets so that is supply stream is generating mega funds!

Take care,

Jay
    Before the whole "we are no longer making hardware" debacle HP had the funds to lose money on tablets also. They just didn't have the stomach to. The sub-$200 Android tablets are crap. Plastic screens, low memory, single core processors, and worst of all they only run 2.2 or 2.3 instead of 3.x. Also, since most of them did not go through the certification process with Google, they don't have proper market access. It will be hard as hell to get a "supported" 3d game or a big time multimedia (DRM) to work on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanaka View Post
    iPad has the market on apps. No one can compete with that. I am not really a fan of apple products, but if I were going to spend $500 on a tablet--it would be an iPad... Though, at $500 I would just double down and get a mb air.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylored View Post
    iPad has the market on apps. No one can compete with that. I am not really a fan of apple products, but if I were going to spend $500 on a tablet--it would be an iPad... Though, at $500 I would just double down and get a mb air.
    Hi all,

Amazon has a ton of apps, music and of course ebooks....they must be a close second to apple on apps & music...I imagine they are ahead of Apple on ebooks.

take care,

Jay
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Before the whole "we are no longer making hardware" debacle HP had the funds to lose money on tablets also. They just didn't have the stomach to. The sub-$200 Android tablets are crap. Plastic screens, low memory, single core processors, and worst of all they only run 2.2 or 2.3 instead of 3.x. Also, since most of them did not go through the certification process with Google, they don't have proper market access. It will be hard as hell to get a "supported" 3d game or a big time multimedia (DRM) to work on them.
    Hi all,

I agree with you on the point that HP could have afford to lose to get market share and you are again correct that they didn't have the stomach for it....

I would add however they also didn't have the brains for it...

However, the point I made earlier still stands....HP didn't have a pipeline for apps....that is why BEFORE they decided to by Palm/webOS they should have had a deal in place with Amazon or someone else huge in the field...they bought a few firms that were supposed to supply music etc....

But that all pales compared to the huge offerings and marketing prowess that Amazon has.

Of course Mr. Hurd said he didn't buy webOS to make smartphones and tablets...yet if he wanted webOS for other purposes...they would still be best served to either make webOS smartphones and tablets or to license it out....after all the more you get the name webOS out there the better it would have been for HP.

Leo should have made the best of Mr. Hurd's purchase of Palm...instead of trying to recycle a 2 year old design of the inner workings of the TouchPad...how I hear it even Ruby fought Leo about it...Ruby already got burned with crappy hardware.....I posted a number of articles when HP first decided to throw webOS hardware overboard...that the staff in the webOS design group wanted the hardware gone b/c webOS had already outgrown the hardware...

Leo wanted to to this on the cheap....what a fool.

Take care,

Jay
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

take care,

Jay

Cheap tablets no sale, HP TouchPad not representative of the market
    By James Kendrick | September 8, 2011, 1:07pm PDT

Cheap tablets no sale, HP TouchPad not representative of the market | ZDNet

Summary: Companies looking to compete with the iPad have vainly looked for the magic bullet to use with their tablets. Contrary to what we saw with the TouchPad, a $100 price is not the primary factor.

The group of companies trying to make an iPad competitor may have learned a bad lesson from the HP TouchPad cancellation and subsequent sell-off. The lines at stores to get a $99 TouchPad and high-volume sales online may convince OEMs that cheap is the feature to garner big sales numbers. I hate to burst their bubble but I do not believe that is the case.
    So far HP sales 1 tech writers -1
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Leo wanted to to this on the cheap....what a fool.

Take care,

Jay
    Well, Leo ******bag is an *****!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    ilovedessert likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    Well, Leo ******bag is an *****!
    Dear Stargate,

...you hit the nail in the head!!! I would love to be a fly on the wall at the annual HP stockholder's meeting...yikes!

take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Before the whole "we are no longer making hardware" debacle HP had the funds to lose money on tablets also. They just didn't have the stomach to. ...snip
    A lot of people say this, but what is HP's revnue vs. profit on hardware?

As another member posted on a different thread:

H-P is the world’s largest maker of PCs, and the unit contributed $40.1 billion in revenue and $2 billion in operating income in the most recent fiscal year.
    WSJ Sept. 8th 20111

5% Margin. Not a lot of room to take hits on an unproven product.
    agreed i didnt need another pad...i already had the acer iconia but @ 100 bucks for a touchpad it was well worth the clammer to get one, even if it was just to try
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylored View Post
    You only need one media player if it works, one book reader if it works, one browser if it works...etc. Having tons of apps available sounds great but there's only so much you can do to an email client or a browser to make it better/different. The only real exception to that would be games. So far the WebOS catalog is 'ok' the standard apps work reasonably well for the majority of situations and there's nothing missing that anyone would die without.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    …… is 'ok' the standard apps work reasonably well for the majority of situations and there's nothing missing that anyone would die without.
    The many Appaholics would differ on it
    games
    useless geek apps

I agree with you
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    You only need one media player if it works, one book reader if it works, one browser if it works...etc. Having tons of apps available sounds great but there's only so much you can do to an email client or a browser to make it better/different. The only real exception to that would be games. So far the WebOS catalog is 'ok' the standard apps work reasonably well for the majority of situations and there's nothing missing that anyone would die without.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    The many Appaholics would differ on it
    games
    useless geek apps

I agree with you
    You only need one girlfriend but two makes life more interesting

You only need one kind of good beer, yet there are multiple beers each with their on characteristics.

You only need one for a lot of things. So what. Multiple choices of particular app gives the end user a better chance of settling on one or two apps that they can live with.
    What are the chances of that one media player, web browser or email reader having all the functionality you want?
    If you are from an app poor environment, I could see why this may be difficult to grasp. Not all app in a particular category do things the same way. Different developers emphasize different features/functions. If all you want are some of the basics, then you are in the right place.
    No need to leave home.
    For others mileage may vary.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 09/10/2011 at 05:17 PM.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You only need one girlfriend but two makes life more interesting.
    Hi all,

I wouldn't know...I can safely safely say...as I will soon join the ranks of the just married!

take care,

Jay
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Good come back there Jay

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!
  20.    #20  
    Hi and thanks,

All kidding aside, I don't know how people can date two people at once...it's too confusing...let alone be married to two different people...ever so often you hear a store of someone who is married twice at the same time...I have enough trouble remembering my own name let alone a whole another life....

I have no idea how undercover cops and CIA agents do it...my brother in law's kid brother was undercover in NYPD narcotics for over 10 years.....he said at the end of the day he had to remind himself what of his real name, LOL!

Take care all,

Jay