So - here i am - a new owner of a HP touchpad and slightly frustrated with the nuances of the wifi setup ...especially since the first time you turn it on you HAVE to use wifi to connect to allow you to continue on to setup the TP.
Heres what i found...
My wifi net was called "JsJsJs $net$&$quot$; $note$ $the$ $space$ $between$ $the$ $words$...
All computers on my existing network had no issues finding this wifi network - including my Nokia N8 phone...
The TP tho didnt even want to "See" the wifi network - it would find all the neighbors networks - even the really weak ones...
So i sat and did my troubleshooting - after reading the few threads on here - but saw nothing that helped... i even tried no security - but nothing...couldnt see the wifi network.
So then i realised that all the networks it was showing me all had NO SPACES in their names...so i changed the SSID of my network to "Jsnet" - with no space.
Voila! it now saw the network - but still didnt want to let me access the network because it didnt couldnt authenticate...
SO i set it to no security - and it connected - i registered for the webOS user etc and let it get to the main screen...
then i played with the wifi network settings - lucky i have a laptop i could connect to the router with a hard wired connection otherwise this would really have been painful!
SO - then i connected via WPA with a password and everything is happy - on 802.11n by the way.
SO - if youre new - and youre having issues with seeing and then connecting to your wifi network - try the above!
good luck -
now i need to let the thing charge some more - before i try to see HOW to upgarde the OS.
a little bit happier now that i have my new toy working!