Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have a feeling WebOS will soon be gone for good with the TouchPad and Pre3 being the last devices built to run the wonderful OS. I hope I'm wrong.

"Bradley said that a standalone PC company would be free to make tablets that run operating software from Microsoft or Google."

The rest of the article is here:
    H-P
    I've had that feeling since 8/18. Unless someone licences this OS, it will be gone within a year or sooner. The google part of that quote really hurts but makes sense for them. It would be sad to see a cutting edge tablet by an HP spinoff that runs android.
    That is too bad, they are going with Microsoft, the safe choice.
    njforcedlife77 likes this.
    I think Mark Hurd was willing to take HP in a bigger direction. Namely taking on Microsoft OS. WebOS had a chance with the right investments that Hurd actually was doing. HP board members propably didn't like this due to there relationship with Microsoft. Microsoft propably also cried foul and the sex scandle was born to get Hurd out. Then comes the twerp Leo who is just a yes man and cans WebOS and now someone post that they are in close buddy buddy with Microsoft again. Well that's my theory anyways. I miss Hurd! Leo is a bumm!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    So what will this mean for us TP owners? No app store, no firmware updates etc?
    Perhaps they still plan to bring webOS to Windows and that infamous HP Slate gets Palmified.

Or not...
    Quote Originally Posted by oklanole View Post
    So what will this mean for us TP owners? No app store, no firmware updates etc?

I give it one year and WebOS will be gone. Only way it will survive is if someone @ HP will see that the OS could be profitable in a few yrs. It just isn't right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    Someone has to kill this hope that someone is going to license WebOS. Seriously, why would anyone license an OS that the parent company shot in the face? Why would any company license an OS that nobody wants? Why would any company license an OS with no apps? Why would anybody license an OS that is full of bugs?

Its NEVER going to happen. The only hope for WebOS is that HP sells it to someone, which is also RIDICULOUSLY unlikely to happen. More realistically, HP will make it their stock printer OS or something degrading like that.
    Woah calm down and massage some cards or something.
    There's another very interesting tidbit in that article:

H-P is the world’s largest maker of PCs, and the unit contributed $40.1 billion in revenue and $2 billion in operating income in the most recent fiscal year.
    It's a 5% margin business. Ouch.

So compare to some HP competitors
    Cisco -2010 sales $40B, non-GAAP income $9.4B - 23.5%
    Oracle - 2010 revenue $26.8B, profit of $6.1B - 22.7%
    IBM - 2010 revenue $99.9B, net income $14.8B - 14.8%
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    there's an old saying in the IT business -- "no one ever got fired for buying ibm". That does not apply to microsuck.
    the only ones who refuse to see the writing on the wall is us, the loyal webOS user base

we will be here to the end...
    Boy, that really took the wind out of my "loving my new Touchpad" sails....

Thanks a lot.
    Bradley said that a standalone PC company would be free to make tablets that run operating software from Microsoft or Google.
    I assume that the spun off PC company wouldn't be able to make webOS tablet's unless HP licences it to them (since they are the ones holding on to the software). But in all honesty, who knows what HP will do with webOS.

All I know is if I can't get my hands on a TouchPad, then the Pre 2 will be my last webOS device, and I'll have to move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    HP already has a Windows 7 tablet currently on the market.

HP Slate 500 Tablet PC overview - HP Small & Medium Business products

Also according to a Touchpad supplier, HP was loading Android onto the Touchpads to make sure they worked properly. HP then loaded Web OS on it before they hit the market.
    I don't know if I could handle a 'perfect' OS with no flaws, no rollercoaster ride, no DIY visit forums, no Faction A vs Faction B vs Faction C wars, with a massive amount of apps, with no tweaking.

That would be just plain boring

I think if/when it goes by the way side, it will be no different than say the Linux community(don't know a whole lot about that, just from tidbits here and there that I've read) . Homebrewers will chug along, I'm sure webOS Internals won't just throw in the towel and book for something new to fill their lives....after all they've spent a large part of time invested in the whole thing.

Who knows maybe I'm way off base, but I think as long as there are devices out there working, there will be something going on for them.

What I'm sort of wondering is in the event that we are able to keep these TouchPads going to the point that battery life nears its end, would we be able to find replacement batteries and replace them? Not knowing the expected life of the battery of course.
    You've kinda stumbled into your own answer. "As long as there are devices out there working" With no new devices after October, the number can only go down. Once the developer's units peter out they'll have no choice but to look elsewhere to get their coding jollies. I figure w/o and outside licensee we've got a year or so.

On the bright side the screens on HP printers are getting larger an larger. Before you know it you'll be playing Angry Birds on your Photosmart.
    Last edited by 2TouchDroid?; 09/09/2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: sp
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    One other possibility is that someone will essentially buy the patents. Perhaps the most we can hope for is the eventual appearance of WebOS-like features in one of the mainstream operating systems.
    I don’t see any basis to conclude that HP’s spinoff of its PSG will result in the death of webOS. To the contrary, I think it may result in another round of webOS recharge.

Todd Bradley has a strong history with Palm and spearheaded HP's acquisition of Palm. Up until recently, Bradley had a strong interest in pursuing webOS, and there is no reason to believe that interest has changed.

Bradley and Leo are now engaged in the usual pre-spinoff negotiations over what stays with HP and what leaves with PSG. Things like how much cash the PSG will take with it, what patents it will own, etc. There will be tradeoffs and compromises ... "Ok, the PSG can own this set of patents, but only if it takes this piece of debt,” or vice versa. Somewhere along the line, perhaps before Todd Bradley even knew the negotiations had begun, Leo told him, "Sorry, TB, but the PSG does not get to keep webOS. HP is keeping webOS when you leave."

In response to that statement from Leo, I like to imagine that TB replied, "Well F*** U, dirtbag. Then the PSG is shutting down production of all those crappy devices you made us push out the door. My company is not going to be responsible for warranty calls on something that we told you wasn’t ready.”

And I like to imagine TB continuing ... "Now, MoFo, who are you going to get to manufacture anything with the software that you say you are keeping? Don’t you realize that if your own manufacturing group won’t do it, then nobody will? So here's my offer. Make me a sweet deal, with plenty of financial incentives during the early years, plus an exclusivity period to protect our initial investment, and we can talk about my company doing what you couldn’t do. If not, well …."
    - Bubba
    fmarcanojr likes this.
  19. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    I don’t see any basis to conclude that HP’s spinoff of its PSG will result in the death of webOS. To the contrary, I think it may result in another round of webOS recharge.

Todd Bradley has a strong history with Palm and spearheaded HP's acquisition of Palm. Up until recently, Bradley had a strong interest in pursuing webOS, and there is no reason to believe that interest has changed.

Bradley and Leo are now engaged in the usual pre-spinoff negotiations over what stays with HP and what leaves with PSG. Things like how much cash the PSG will take with it, what patents it will own, etc. There will be tradeoffs and compromises ... "Ok, the PSG can own this set of patents, but only if it takes this piece of debt,” or vice versa. Somewhere along the line, perhaps before Todd Bradley even knew the negotiations had begun, Leo told him, "Sorry, TB, but the PSG does not get to keep webOS. HP is keeping webOS when you leave."

In response to that statement from Leo, I like to imagine that TB replied, "Well F*** U, dirtbag. Then the PSG is shutting down production of all those crappy devices you made us push out the door. My company is not going to be responsible for warranty calls on something that we told you wasn’t ready.”

And I like to imagine TB continuing ... "Now, MoFo, who are you going to get to manufacture anything with the software that you say you are keeping? Don’t you realize that if your own manufacturing group won’t do it, then nobody will? So here's my offer. Make me a sweet deal, with plenty of financial incentives during the early years, plus an exclusivity period to protect our initial investment, and we can talk about my company doing what you couldn’t do. If not, well …."
    As much as I would like to see WebOS have a long term future, I think "imagine" is the key word here
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast