Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes
    "Hope springs eternal in the human breast" (Alexander Pope) best describes my outlook on life in general and for webOS in particular. Call me Pollyanna, or whatever else you like within the confines of decency, but without hope we wilt and soon die.

Our webOS developers are doing a fantastic job, and the webOS internals folks are worthy of our support. Some of us ARE die-hard webOS fans and want to support all those folks as much as possible. From my experience the last two years, with all its shortcomings and with all its potential, webOS is far superior to iOS and Android. The support we get from the developers and internals is second to none.

Long live webOS! May it ever be so.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Best positive response yet. Thanks.
    TheDewWorm likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by oklanole View Post
    So what will this mean for us TP owners? No app store, no firmware updates etc?
    Well you will have some form of "support" for at least a year from October. What form that support comes in by the end of 2012 we will see.

At this point, they are still reviewing and releasing apps (Asphalt 6 just recently released, also editing for Quick Office). They have said they are still working on software updates, so hopefully we see some more.

Beyond that, webosinternals isn't going anywhere any time soon (Rod already confirmed that if HP tried to pull down the profile servers/etc, there would be a way for our devices to fully function without them). For me, we bought Veers in July, hoping to get my hands on a NIB GSM Pre2, and if I can't afford a Pre3 long term, another Pre2.

Depending on what kind of user you are, webOS will be usable for at least 2 to 3 more years no problem. I say this being someone that bought devices that work for us. I fully researched all my purchases, and bought with a return policy to get some real world use before deciding to keep them. Now if you are someone that needs the newest stuff every year, then yeah webOS most likely isn't going to be for you for more than a year (even if licensed/bought).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    lougw and fmarcanojr like this.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Well you will have some form of "support" for at least a year from October. What form that support comes in by the end of 2012 we will see.

At this point, they are still reviewing and releasing apps (Asphalt 6 just recently released, also editing for Quick Office). They have said they are still working on software updates, so hopefully we see some more.

Beyond that, webosinternals isn't going anywhere any time soon (Rod already confirmed that if HP tried to pull down the profile servers/etc, there would be a way for our devices to fully function without them). For me, we bought Veers in July, hoping to get my hands on a NIB GSM Pre2, and if I can't afford a Pre3 long term, another Pre2.

Depending on what kind of user you are, webOS will be usable for at least 2 to 3 more years no problem. I say this being someone that bought devices that work for us. I fully researched all my purchases, and bought with a return policy to get some real world use before deciding to keep them. Now if you are someone that needs the newest stuff every year, then yeah webOS most likely isn't going to be for you for more than a year (even if licensed/bought).
    This is very well said. I have a phone and a tablet that both work very well for me. If possible I am going to get a second tablet knowing that the OS works very well for what I want it to do.

I have come to accept that it is very likely my next phone will not be webOS, but that decision is well down the road and who knows what will be available then. For now I am enjoying the best smartphone I have ever owned, and an ultra-cheap tablet that has changed the way I consume information in a positive way.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Ah, yes, that's better: the past few posts put some wind back in my sails....

Thanks, fellas!
    MDsmartphone likes this.
    Heh, Best Buy just sent me an email to buy their Black Tie protection for the 32GB Touchpad I bought from them. The two year plan costs almost as much as the tablet itself. What exactly do they plan on doing if I break it in a year and a half, give me an iPad 4?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12