Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. chi
    On my computer if I open a browser page to a site and while waiting for it to load switch to a page or application I already have open, the new web page will continue to load in the background. That's multi-tasking.

Not so true on the Touchpad which is just like my iPhone. If I try to load a page and switch to another page or app, the webpage won't continue loading in the background. Or at least on my TP. I know it can do email and music in the background just like my iphone... but that seems just about it.

So... is this the true multi-tasking people keep talking about? The visual of switching windows is much better than iOS but overall it seems pretty much the same, IMHO.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    It's real multitasking. No tombstoning here
    Oddly it works like that on earlier versions of webOS (on my pre- and pre2) - you can set a browser window off and switch back to what you were doing and then when you switch back to the browser it has loaded up in the background.

Odd that the touchpad doesn't.
    It seems to pause it, but when in card view you see the browser loading.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    On my computer if I open a browser page to a site and while waiting for it to load switch to a page or application I already have open, the new web page will continue to load in the background. That's multi-tasking.

Not so true on the Touchpad which is just like my iPhone. If I try to load a page and switch to another page or app, the webpage won't continue loading in the background. Or at least on my TP. I know it can do email and music in the background just like my iphone... but that seems just about it.

So... is this the true multi-tasking people keep talking about? The visual of switching windows is much better than iOS but overall it seems pretty much the same, IMHO.
    Either you are missing something or we are talking about another device.

Open the browser type in any website, hit enter. Then minimize (card view) the browser app.

Notice the page gets loaded. I call it multitasking.

This has been discussed since the earth was born. So please do not start another thread before searching precentral.
    The problem is not the multitask... it certainly does load the webpage. It just may not render the page until you make it active again.
    Will have to find the thread but it's been discussed before but has been mentioned that some tasks are now suspended in the background.

Someone posted a wiki link discussing multitasking between platforms and android seems to be the closest to true multitasking
    its interesting, I have a pre, preplus and touchpad. when I use my pre or preplus as described it will load and render the page while it is in the small card view. but my touchpad seems to need me to open the page wait till it starts to load then if I open another card and come back it will be rendered, but if I don't wait those few moments when i first open the card it will not render in the back ground. I think its odd since my pre/preplus has no issue like this. just saying
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    TPwebOS820 likes this.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    its interesting, I have a pre, preplus and touchpad. when I use my pre or preplus as described it will load and render the page while it is in the small card view. but my touchpad seems to need me to open the page wait till it starts to load then if I open another card and come back it will be rendered, but if I don't wait those few moments when i first open the card it will not render in the back ground. I think its odd since my pre/preplus has no issue like this. just saying
    Right, you can't switch RIGHT away, it needs to get going a little on loading before you change cards or it won't start.

I did notice the same behavior on the Pre 2. I honestly don't remember if it was the same for me on the Pre or not.
    rotate your tablet.... you will see the other browser window has fully loaded and is rendered... same thing with origional Pre... rotate it and it will "show" it.

otherwise if i open espn.com and then quickly try and open cnbc.com or some other pig of a page it usually loads in background just fine... i'm overclocked 1.5Ghz
    My touchpad loads stuff in the background. Seems to work much better then iPhone as far as multi-tasking goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by xwing View Post
    The problem is not the multitask... it certainly does load the webpage. It just may not render the page until you make it active again.
    This. Doesn't matter to me, if it's fully rendered or not, in card view, but once I click on the said page, it's loaded.
    Wired.com Explains: How Mobile Multitasking Works | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

"What’s going on
    WebOS allocates resources (memory, processor cycles, network access) to each card based on requests from the cards. The System Manager prioritizes the card in the foreground when allocating resources. Apps in the background are placed in a semi-dormant state, and their access to services is restricted."
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    interesting - I have just tried this with a few apps - as described, if you bring up another card and bring that to the fore, then the other pages do seem to grind to a halt.

I have just tried the same with my android phone and apps do seem to load completely in the background. If they are not, then they 'complete' quicker than I can tell.
    weather anybody thinks it's multitasking or not, It certainly comes closer to it than any other tablet or phone platform on the market. If you've ever worked with any webos device, you know and feel like you really are multitasking. The only thing anyone ever gripes about is the webpage. We could create a patch for that if it's not already out, but I have a feeling HP and Palm had a reason for doing it the way they did. Even when the page is fully up and you leave and later come back to that page, it resets the page. We all know it, get over it. Webos really is a multitasking beast despite what the trolls say.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    interesting - I have just tried this with a few apps - as described, if you bring up another card and bring that to the fore, then the other pages do seem to grind to a halt.

I have just tried the same with my android phone and apps do seem to load completely in the background. If they are not, then they 'complete' quicker than I can tell.
    I did the same test. I've always thought that the background tabs were frozen till brought to the foreground on webOS however, if you give it enough time they actually do load in the background--they just don't show anything in card view if they are not the top card. When you bring one to the front it is instantly loaded. I did it with espn & engadget with google on top. When I brought one of the others to the front they were instantly loaded, and we know neither of those pages can be loaded in a second or two

The thing is, the browser is slow. . . very slow especially on pages that have lots of JavaScript, thus you really have to wait for those cards in the background to get loaded because priority is always given to the one in focus--at least that's what I'm gathering from all this.
    If you open up multiple instances of the browser, the pages load in the background quicker than opening multiple tabs.
    this is a problem with the stock browser of the touchpad. In my webOS phones, I could leave the browser and do other stuff and come back nd have the browser render the page already but in the touchpad it does not.

I have the advanced browser for the touchpad and this solved the browser "problem" if you call it such.

a good example would be browsing these forums, I hold the link and open in a new tab, go back to browsing then come back with all the web pages rendered.

now if that is what you are looking for, then I suggest you get the advanced browser.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presmurf View Post
    weather anybody thinks it's multitasking or not, It certainly comes closer to it than any other tablet or phone platform on the market. If you've ever worked with any webos device, you know and feel like you really are multitasking. The only thing anyone ever gripes about is the webpage. We could create a patch for that if it's not already out, but I have a feeling HP and Palm had a reason for doing it the way they did. Even when the page is fully up and you leave and later come back to that page, it resets the page. We all know it, get over it. Webos really is a multitasking beast despite what the trolls say.
    Why should I always remind people, that mobile platforms don't end on WebOS, iOS, Android and WP7. Don't forget about Symbian, Maemo and MeeGo. Those three have(and two of them had for years before any of the modern mobile systems were born) true desktop-like multitasking.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
    milhouse likes this.
    <<deleted quoted text>>

that is why you need to install the advanced browser. It gives you that ability plus tabbed browsing.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 09/09/2011 at 06:19 AM.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast