Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    I have that installed. It solves the problem kinda, but it still is an awful browser.
    what seems to be the problem with the advanced browser? can you explain?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Actually, I gave my touchpad away because I didn't like what they did. The ommisions from the phone version of webos make it harder to use than it needs to be, especially having to search for the back button in every app.

But this thing about browser loading in back doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. What I want in the browser for my history/bookmarks not to disappear every time I click a link. We know its resizable because it does it in glimpse.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Actually, I gave my touchpad away because I didn't like what they did. The ommisions from the phone version of webos make it harder to use than it needs to be, especially having to search for the back button in every app.

But this thing about browser loading in back doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. What I want in the browser for my history/bookmarks not to disappear every time I click a link. We know its resizable because it does it in glimpse.
    Considering multitaking is supposed to be a strong feature in this device you would think something simple like this would be there.
    To me, it's not that big of a deal but still kind of annoying at times.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    The topic is webOS and multi-tasking. If you would like to discuss comparisons with other OSs, you can visit the Other Handhelds or Other Tablets forums. If you would like to discuss other platforms, please visit our site site for that platform.

<<thread cleaned>>
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    No open in background tab.
    No changing user agent.
    Its fullscreen so basically no notifications or clock until you minimize.
    No customization AT ALL.
    No full integration, ie default browser.
    No organization of bookmarks.
    No importation of bookmarks so you have to re-add them all.
    Still the same slow rendering engine as stock browser.
    Cannot launch downloaded files. File association borked.

All indications are that its an abandoned app that won't be receiving any further support. These are all VERY basic things. I have reviewed almost all of the browsers for Android over on XDA and pretty much all of them had all of these features with a LOT more I didn't mention like private browsing and gesture controls.

Oh, BTW, if anyone wants to know why browsing on WebOS is utter garbage, take a look at this: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-sites.html

I mean LOL wut?
    Try This
    Multitasking of background apps was virtually removed in 3.0.2 as a knee jerk reaction, but should be restored somewhat in the next release.

All timers are now stopped in the background apps, but should get them back once every 2 seconds.

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p?f=11&t=17268
    It was a change in 3.0.2 to increase performance of foreground apps.

Edit: sorry Vaslin, didn't see your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaslin View Post
    Multitasking of background apps was virtually removed in 3.0.2 as a knee jerk reaction, but should be restored somewhat in the next release.

All timers are now stopped in the background apps, but should get them back once every 2 seconds.

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p?f=11&t=17268
    Thank you for this info. I can't wait for the next update to come, if for nothing else but a fix, even if partial, to the throttling of multi-tasking in 3.0.2.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Twosted View Post
    Now someone just needs to turn this into a patch...

1. Install Preware if you haven't already (google will help you with this)
    2. Install Internalz Pro from Preware.
    3. Open Internalz Pro -> app name in top left corner of the screen -> Preferences -> turn on 'Master Mode' -> app name again -> close
    4. Open /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.maklesoft.browser/source/BrowserApp.jsjsjs
    5. On line 5, change 'true' to 'false'
    6. Restart your tablet
    7. Done
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Advanced browser ftw. Trying to get prefox working on the TP. Ran into a bit of a problem (its always rotated to the right of what orientation it SHOULD be). Hopefully I can have that fixed soon...ish.

EDIT:
    Keep in mind im a full time college student, part time market person at a local restaurant. Dont expect it too soon... Considering I dont have a mac and the only time I have access to OSX is my laptop at home's virtual OSX.
    Last edited by geeksquadkid; 09/09/2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    Advanced browser ftw. Trying to get prefox working on the TP. Ran into a bit of a problem (its always rotated to the right of what orientation it SHOULD be). Hopefully I can have that fixed soon...ish.
    Not sure if this would help with your port, but I noticed when using the enyo framework that how the system maps physical device orientation to direction description(ie. up, down, left, right) is different between when requesting the info and when setting the option. For example, when getting the info, the TP in landscape w/ home button to the right is considered 'up', but when trying to set the orientation (to lock it), the TP in portrait w/ home button on the bottom (I think) is considered 'up'.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    I open 120MB animation files in one browser card and then proceed to open other cards to browse other sites. Usually it takes a minute to fully load the animation. When I return to the original card the file has fully loaded and is animated on screen. The touchpad most certainly loads other sites in the background.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    the more I think about multitasking, the more I think who gives a crap?

the trade off for mobile users is usefulness vs usability and the research indicates that users prefer usefulness over usability. Let me give you a practical example - I am out in the middle of nowhere and internet connections are flaky at best. Today I needed to edit a document for two hours, quick office constantly broke the formating - why does a normal user care that they can quickly switch between cards and things load in the background when they are unable to concentrate on the single task they need to do? Out of all the oses I think WebOS has the highest usability and the slickest interface but at the moment it's usefulness is limited.

The touchpad is a nomadic rather than mobile device so the trade-off is more apparent than say with a preł.
    play a song on YouTube on one window and browse on the other... WebOS does indeed multitask :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by amarjyoti View Post
    play a song on YouTube on one window and browse on the other... WebOS does indeed multitask :-)
    Yeah but with webOS 3.0.2, the video is frozen when YouTube is in a card mode. So let's just call it pseudo or maybe partial multi-tasking.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12