Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By beardedspoooon
  1.    #1  
    HP Touchpad Beats Audio vs Apple iPad TreoRock's Blog

I made a video comparing the sound quality of the EVO 4G and the Palm Pre 2 against the HP TouchPad and I got a request on Twitter to compare the TouchPad against the iPad. You are the judge, they are both playing the same song at max volume. I used a Kodak Playsport Zx5 and recorded the video in 1080p. I think it is pretty clear that the TouchPad with Beats Audio has a deeper bass, but it does not distort the music during playback. However, you may get the impression that there is some sound distortion on the video, but I think this is due to the microphone limitation of the Playsport video camera. I may be able to get a hold of an iPad 2, but it may be in a couple of weeks.
    I prefer no DSP and a music player with an equalizer. I can see where it can be advantageous when you're using those onboard speakers though.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    I prefer no DSP and a music player with an equalizer. I can see where it can be advantageous when you're using those onboard speakers though.
    The TouchPad has the option to turn off beats audio if you'd like. I personally love the deeper bass of the TouchPad as it gives you a more natural sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Equalizer is DSP, unless it's analog, and you don't see those any more. You're definitely not going to carry around an analog equalizer to plug your TP's headphone port in to, at least.

Going for a "pure" audio path does not really apply to digitally compressed audio. It's already been digitized. Manipulating the 1s and 0s before they become sound doesn't really hurt anything, as the damage has already been done.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Equalizer is DSP, unless it's analog, and you don't see those any more. You're definitely not going to carry around an analog equalizer to plug your TP's headphone port in to, at least.

Going for a "pure" audio path does not really apply to digitally compressed audio. It's already been digitized. Manipulating the 1s and 0s before they become sound doesn't really hurt anything, as the damage has already been done.
    I just mean something that I can control the settings for as opposed to whatever the Beats Audio is doing.
    Ah I understand. My apologies for making an incorrect assumption.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Ah I understand. My apologies for making an incorrect assumption.
    No problem. The way I wrote it, it did sound like I meant "no DSP period."
    Syndil likes this.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    All I know is the speakers on the TP kill that of any iPad I've owned so far - blown away by these things.
    my droid 1 phone's single speaker plays louder and never distorts compared to my tp
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Touchpad has the 2nd best sound from a tablet.. 1st goes to the Acer iconia with Dolby Mobile.
    The onboard speakers don't sound like anything special to me... but when you put a pair of headphones on it sounds awesome.
    I listen to music in YouTube with headphones plugged in and I was shocked at how awesome the sound coming out the touchpad was. The built in speakers themselves are also very good when you consider that they are in fact tablet speakers. I just wish there was a system wide equalizer so that I could adjust the sound from streaming audio sources.
    why would you bother comparing the iPods speaker to anything? The iPad is grossly inadequate in the speaker department. I always have to use headphones when watching a movie or tv show on the ipad.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I think it is silly to compare the speakers of these tablets. They are both terrible and essentially only usable for basic sound effects. On a side note, I have the camera he used to record this, and let me say that using the built in mic on that thing will not produce a good sound comparison between the two making the idea even sillier. Seriously, if you want anything but mediocre sound quality, hook up headphone or external speakers.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashmonee View Post
    I think it is silly to compare the speakers of these tablets. They are both terrible and essentially only usable for basic sound effects. On a side note, I have the camera he used to record this, and let me say that using the built in mic on that thing will not produce a good sound comparison between the two making the idea even sillier. Seriously, if you want anything but mediocre sound quality, hook up headphone or external speakers.
    Do you have a Touchpad? I do and I enjoy listening to music from my Touchpad's speakers. Why should I stop doing it if I'm having a blast? This is my personal opinion and I'm sharing it to those who really care to know which tablet sounds better. If you don't care about the speakers of the these tablets then let's be nice. Just saying...
    I will say this: before my touchpad, I used my Zune HD on a day-to-day music playing job. After I put some music on my touchpad (with no intention of using it as a real music player), and then putting my headphones in them, it sounds noticeably better. Less distortion, cleaner sound.

Since I work in a cubicle, my new touchstone charger has allowed me to turn my touchpad into my daily PMP for sound quality difference alone.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter