Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dustindt
  1.    #1  
    Hi
    It appears that the TouchPad cannot be charged form a USB port, due to the insufficient amount of power being sent down the port.
    However, I have come across an application called AI Charger, which is supposed to allow for charging of Ipads, etc, via USB. Although the product is supposed to be for computers with ASUS motherboards, I have read that this also works with non ASUS mobos.

Has anyone tried this application? A major downfall is the inability to charge via USB so if this app works then it would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for the advice
  2. twe
    Is that the same for USB 3 ports?
    A Touchpad will trickle charge from a power usb hub. I know this because I have charged it that way a couple of times now. Basically plug it into a powered hub, turn the screen off and leave it alone. It will eventually charge it all the way up. Though quite slowly, just like an iPad will.
    I would look at the Battery Current using an app like Dr. Battery or Govnah. As long as its a positive number the battery should be charging. You may have to turn the brightness all the way down or even off to get a positive number from a standard USB port. The bigger the number the faster its charging. For reference I think I get about +1300 mA while hooked up to the 2A charger that came with the TP and about +700 mA on the touchstone.
    izzeho likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kandekilla View Post
    A Touchpad will trickle charge from a power usb hub. I know this because I have charged it that way a couple of times now. Basically plug it into a powered hub, turn the screen off and leave it alone. It will eventually charge it all the way up. Though quite slowly, just like an iPad will.
    ^^ This.

You can charge it via a USB port on you PC or a powered hub, it just takes a very very long time to trickle charge. I usually do it when I'm at work and tied to my desk for a while.
    Long live webOS!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the most efficient way to charge is via either the standard charger or Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by touchpadtom View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the most efficient way to charge is via either the standard charger or Touchstone.
    Or if you have a y cable you can plug it into 2 USB ports and it'll charge well enough. Its what I do when I only have laptop available for charging.
    I have a "FAST CHARGE" option on my motherboard, it works great for my ipod and cell phone, it doesn't do so well on the touchpad, but it is a positive charge.

Touchstone, FTW. really.
    I'm using a Touchstone for my Touchpad and it works well. Exhibition mode looks great but I also use the alarm on my Touchpad as my primary alarm.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Hi,

Is there any documentation anywhere that anyone knows about that says that the TP should be charge-able from a computer USB port? I didn't find it in the documentation that came with the TP.

I know that typically, those ports output .5A, and the TP's wall charger indicates that its output is 5.3V and 2.0A. The iPad needs 2.1A to max charge, I think (I don't know what voltage it needs).

I ask because I have one of these Anker 5-port USB chargers (Amazon.com: AnkerŪ 25W 5-Port USB Family-Sized Desktop Charger with 5-Foot Power Cord for Apple & Android Smartphones & Tablets and other USB-Powered Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories ), which output up to 2.1A on a couple of its ports (all with 5V), and, when I plug in the TP, it complains:

"Device May Not Charge: Your device is connected to a charging source that provides less than the recommended voltage or current. To reliably charge, use the power adapter and USB cable that came with your device."

I note that when I plug it into my laptop's USB port, the dialog box that pops up offering for you to go into USB mode says that, "To charge your device, use the power supply that came with it."

I sent a note to Anker customer support, and they were very nice, but they asked if the TP can be charged via a laptop/computer USB port.

Cheers, and thanks for any help!
    => Edwin
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755 > Palm Pre > [Pre 2] > [Pre3], Touchpad > iPhone 4S

Interaction designer looking for an opportunity to change the world for the better. Gadget/connected device fantasist. Distributed Cognition fan. Sci-fi/fantasy fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Hi,

Is there any documentation anywhere that anyone knows about that says that the TP should be charge-able from a computer USB port? I didn't find it in the documentation that came with the TP.

I know that typically, those ports output .5A, and the TP's wall charger indicates that its output is 5.3V and 2.0A. The iPad needs 2.1A to max charge, I think (I don't know what voltage it needs).

I ask because I have one of these Anker 5-port USB chargers (Amazon.com: AnkerŪ 25W 5-Port USB Family-Sized Desktop Charger with 5-Foot Power Cord for Apple & Android Smartphones & Tablets and other USB-Powered Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories ), which output up to 2.1A on a couple of its ports (all with 5V), and, when I plug in the TP, it complains:

"Device May Not Charge: Your device is connected to a charging source that provides less than the recommended voltage or current. To reliably charge, use the power adapter and USB cable that came with your device."

I note that when I plug it into my laptop's USB port, the dialog box that pops up offering for you to go into USB mode says that, "To charge your device, use the power supply that came with it."

I sent a note to Anker customer support, and they were very nice, but they asked if the TP can be charged via a laptop/computer USB port.

Cheers, and thanks for any help!
    => Edwin
    Edwin, The TouchPad uses a firmware sensing routine to check that the Power source is capable of delivering the 2.0A it requires when charging. If it does not sense the correct configuration on the Data Pins of the USB Source then it reduces its current draw to < 500mA and gives you the message on the screen saying "Device May Not Charge: Your device is connected to a charging source that provides less than the recommended voltage or current. To reliably charge, use the power adapter and USB cable that came with your device."

As has been documented elsewhere, you can configure the Power source port by bridging the Data pins and adding a 240K Resistor from the Bridge to +5V and a 300K Resistor from the Bridge to Gnd.

CAVEAT! DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS THE POWER SOURCE IS CAPABLE OF DELIVERING 2.0 AMPS CONTINUOUSLY.
    Quote Originally Posted by touchpadtom View Post
    Hi
    It appears that the TouchPad cannot be charged form a USB port, due to the insufficient amount of power being sent down the port.
    However, I have come across an application called AI Charger, which is supposed to allow for charging of Ipads, etc, via USB. Although the product is supposed to be for computers with ASUS motherboards, I have read that this also works with non ASUS mobos.

Has anyone tried this application? A major downfall is the inability to charge via USB so if this app works then it would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Funny, I've never heard of such a thing before (variable power output for USB 2.0), I though that USB 2.0 was set for 500mA only so I checked and found: (on WIKI)

USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Battery Charging Specification 1.2:[18] Released in December 2010.
    Several changes and increasing limits including allowing 1.5 A on charging ports for unconfigured devices, allowing High Speed communication while having a current up to 1.5 A and allowing a maximum current of 5 A.

So I don't have the specifics and it's a lot of reading material but what I think it means is that manufacturers can set the ports to have up to the 1.5 A power output in the event that the port detects a dead battery and/or device that can handle this increased power.

I'm also reading this as if such power is needed, it turns the power up but shuts the data down to prevent a feedback loop that could result in a fried port.

But this would depend on the manufacturer and how they built the port (on the motherboard).

Interesting articles about this:
    USB battery charging: it's harder than it looks | EE Times
    The Basics of USB Battery Charging: A Survival Guide - Tutorial - Maxim

But basically it comes down to: does the port have the capacity? if no, no software can change that. If yes, no software is needed.

The point to this "new" specification for USB, is to apply a multiple voltage/A capacity for such devices that are not made to be "standard" (5V/500mA).

But the final point, is that if the device is build badly, and tries to force the port to feed it more power (1.5A) than it's made for (500mA), the port will shut down or blow. No software can change that.

Just a note: I've yet to have seen a single computer with this USB 2.0 with more than 500mA capacity, but this isn't something that I even knew existed... I'll have to pay attention and see if I can find a machine that does.
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 01/28/2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I have a MSI 785GT-E63 motherboard that has a 3x high current (1.5A) front USB 2.0 port specifically for device charging. It also included a windows utility which would keep the power hot on this port when the computer goes to sleep mode. It's a bit long in the tooth, but does a pretty good job as a 9TB windows media center server. It's running an AMD Phenom II quad core 3.0Ghz . I would upgrade the processor but it would break the DRM on all the stuff recorded from the cablecard tuner.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3