Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I you don't feel like flashing DD-WRT onto a Linksys WRT54L or just want newer hardware. A Cisco RV042 works fine with the Touchpad using PPTP VPN.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
  2.    #22  
    Wow, there are a lot of good and well-intended suggestions here, although my eyes really glazed over with much of the tech speak, such as "use a Debian box" which of course is Greek to me. I will need to find some step-by-step instructions until I have time to educate myself much more about this subject. Nevertheless, I appreciate all the ideas here!
    Quote Originally Posted by frisco-sp View Post
    i've been using kebrum.com for quite a long time and i must say i never had any problems with it at all
    How do you get the Touchpad to work with it?
    Thx.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    I you don't feel like flashing DD-WRT onto a Linksys WRT54L or just want newer hardware. A Cisco RV042 works fine with the Touchpad using PPTP VPN.
    I could not get PPTP to wotk with the (V2) series RV042,RV082 and RV016.
    Everything else I threw at them has always worked reliably, PPTP wise.

But this PPTP for Touchpad just idles.

Is your RV042 the V2 or the V3 version???

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by shirnilufar View Post
    I could not get PPTP to wotk with the (V2) series RV042,RV082 and RV016.
    Everything else I threw at them has always worked reliably, PPTP wise.

But this PPTP for Touchpad just idles.

Is your RV042 the V2 or the V3 version???

Thanks!
    I've been on Kebrum.com for a few weeks now. PPTP works just fine. So does Openvpn in Ubuntu.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    The Cisco RV042 is priced at $155 from amz.
    Quote Originally Posted by acz View Post
    When I am using my laptop at a public WiFi hotspot, I have been able to use a free public VPN service, as a form of protection from sidejacking through exploits such as FireSheep.

Currently I use a product called Hotspot Shield from a company called AnchorFree, which installed easily on my Win 7 laptop. I do not think that I have run into any speed or data caps with them, probably because my load is quite moderate and intermittent. I also used free or low-cost XeroBank when I was in Europe.

So, now that I have a pair of new HP Touchpad 32GB tablets, and I am just starting to learn about all the great webOS resources, I realize that I am far more likely to use this tablet at an airport, hotel, or cafe public hotspot. I don't want any website or email pswd being broadcast!
    Can anyone here recommend a good free public VPN for this purpose? I see that the Touchpad does have some VPN software, of course I will need to learn how to use that.
    Thank you!
    As others have stated, run your own at home. While I wish we openvpn integrated into the VPN options (I know we can do it, but it's a bit of work), the HP pptp plugin works great with pfsense.

pfSense Open Source Firewall Distribution - Home

I run it on a dedicated netgate appliance, where I also segregate my wireless subnet (which also has a captive portal for guests), so a VPN client is always needed if I want to do things on my private network:

Firewalls @ Netgate
    : (){:|:&};:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12