webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > My HP TouchPad battery drains very quickly!
My HP TouchPad battery drains very quickly!
Like Tree2Likes

Old 09/08/2011, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
k3u

My HP TouchPad's battery drains pretty quickly even without heavy usage! I just got it about 2 weeks ago. But now I'm starting to notice it never reaches the "10 hour battery life" people claim to have. Of course I do have e-mail notifications turned on, Facebook notifications turned on, and WiFi on constantly however I would think I could at least squeeze maybe 5 hours out of my tablet? Anyways, is there any way to extend my battery life? The % drops pretty quickly and I would like to know how do I turn off notification as I read somewhere that it really drains the battery. Thanks!
k3u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2011, 02:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Can you go to this thread and report your findings. Curious to know what your battery part number is from your TP box.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...k-16gb-tp.html
BayAreaTreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2011, 02:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Are you using the f4 kernel by chance? My brothers tp running f4 only gets a few hours. I'm running warthog and get 10 hours.
Bug Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2011, 02:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm running stock kernel. Constantly on Wifi checking 3 mail account as arrive.
Twitter and facebook. All with autochecking/notifications. Bluetooth on as well.
I'm on my 3. day without charging.
Maybe 2hours actively using the device per day for email, twitter and facebook and some web browsing.

EDIT: Check your battery drain with dr.battery or govnah
Old 09/08/2011, 05:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3u View Post
My HP TouchPad's battery drains pretty quickly even without heavy usage! I just got it about 2 weeks ago. But now I'm starting to notice it never reaches the "10 hour battery life" people claim to have. Of course I do have e-mail notifications turned on, Facebook notifications turned on, and WiFi on constantly however I would think I could at least squeeze maybe 5 hours out of my tablet? Anyways, is there any way to extend my battery life? The % drops pretty quickly and I would like to know how do I turn off notification as I read somewhere that it really drains the battery. Thanks!
I've been on mine for the last 7 hours streaming video downloading with Bluetooth on and WiFi with my brightness at about 75% and overclocking to 1.5 and I still have 37% left on my battery. Seems like you could have a bad battery I'd probably send it in.

Also I have notifications on which I haven't seen it drain any faster with it on.

Last edited by jace985; 09/08/2011 at 05:12 AM.
Jace985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2011, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3u View Post
No issues here with the notifications... three days of light use and TONS of notifications and I am at 60%
jmpierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2011, 12:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

at first my battery seemed to drain lot. I could only get 5hrs. But brightness was always 100%. I dropped it 50% and I'm getting probably 8hrs. Also WiFi on all the time drains alot at night
bobbymd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2011, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mine last about a week between charges. Granted I don't sit on my touchpad all day, but about an hour or so. So maybe I get 7 hrs use with 7 days or standby.
Old 09/13/2011, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine is using the 1.5ghz kernel from the Preware app and I get about 6-8 hours playing 720p video w/ wifi on.
seretogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2011, 12:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

mine is on original firmware, not overclocked and 100% bright and on heavy use, watching 720p video non stop i have 4h48 exactly of battery beforce the device close by itself. with blutooth off.

i have a 32gb touchpad
hypertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2011, 12:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seretogis View Post
Mine is using the 1.5ghz kernel from the Preware app and I get about 6-8 hours playing 720p video w/ wifi on.
6-8h??????????

wow. what is your brightness level?
hypertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2011, 01:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm getting 5 to 6hr with video running

Normal use surfing 6 to 8 hr

email 4 times a day check I manually check at times
50% brightness
wifi all the time
no other notifications
Old 09/13/2011, 02:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have had my TouchPad battery drain fast a few times. Restarting my TouchPad did the trick. I could not pinpoint what the issue was.
dabombcra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2011, 03:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

What's a normal battery drain rate?
internalstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2011, 07:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalstorm View Post
What's a normal battery drain rate?
when actively using it - meaning screen is on, I deplete almost exactly 10% per hour. Maybe 15% per hour if watching a flash video. On standby w/WiFi enabled for notifications it barely drains
freeoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2011, 01:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
yeah I got about 7 to 8 hours heavy usage (hulu, scummv, browsing) at 50% brightness. I get 4 to 5 hours at 100% brightness.
I've had my Touchpad for about a week and a half now but haven't been using it much. The first time I charged it up (right after taking it out of the box) I charged it with the wall adapter and the battery seemed to go forever (I did no formal testing but found I could browse the net for a long time with the battery not dropping at all), and I had the screen at full brightness, wireless on, volume about 50%. When I finally went to charge it the second time I used the Touchstone I got with it and to me the battery seemed to be dying much quicker and I was concerned. I charged it again last night and unplugged it shortly after seeing the battery was 100% charged so I could copy a movie to it (then turning it off for the night, leaving it off until getting home from work today). I have been testing it since shortly after getting home from work.

The video is an MP4 file that's 9 minutes and 28 seconds long, with the display around 15% brightness, 100% volume, Wi-Fi on and I'm using the built in video player (I couldn't figure out how to make the video loop so when it finishes I'm pressing the play button to play it again).

Here's what I've recorded so far:
100% at 6:52pm
94% at 7:51pm
76% at 9:29pm
55% at 11:15pm
36% at 12:52am
28% at 1:40am
20% at 2:21am (it's extremely difficult to see the screen now as it's so dark, I actually had to turn off all the lights in my apartment so I could see what the battery level was at)

I should add that I'm using the original OS with whatever update HP released for it, none of the builds and nothing is overclocked.

Still trying to figure out if I'm crazy for thinking that I was getting better battery life out of it before or if I should just shut up and accept that this is good (or figure out if it's bad so I can either return it or contact HP if needed).

What do you guys think and is there a way I could squeeze a little more power out of the Touchpad? I'm hoping to do some more testing with it tomorrow with the display at 50% and then, maybe if I really feel up to it, again at 100%.

Oh, I should add that the only program I've actually installed on the Touchpad is pReader along with a whole bunch of books (but I've only added 6-8 to the library), along with a bunch of videos (which aren't recognized by the built in player).

To update the post, I continued on with testing and here's where I ended up:

13% at 3:01am

After that I decided that I had tested enough and didn't think I should continue on until the system powered itself off/drained the battery completely (for fear of damaging the battery as I've had that happen before with a laptop battery).

Still trying to decide if that's normal or not. As I said, when first getting the Touchpad and charging it I swear I could use it for a long period of time and go online without it making much of a dent in battery life while now it seems that's not the case at all.

Last edited by FunkinsDesigns; 09/17/2011 at 07:56 AM.
FunkinsDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2011, 10:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

I believe you are well within the normal range. Have you down loaded Dr. Battery to see what your battery capacity is and the overall health of the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkinsDesigns View Post
I've had my Touchpad for about a week and a half now but haven't been using it much. The first time I charged it up (right after taking it out of the box) I charged it with the wall adapter and the battery seemed to go forever (I did no formal testing but found I could browse the net for a long time with the battery not dropping at all), and I had the screen at full brightness, wireless on, volume about 50%. When I finally went to charge it the second time I used the Touchstone I got with it and to me the battery seemed to be dying much quicker and I was concerned. I charged it again last night and unplugged it shortly after seeing the battery was 100% charged so I could copy a movie to it (then turning it off for the night, leaving it off until getting home from work today). I have been testing it since shortly after getting home from work.

The video is an MP4 file that's 9 minutes and 28 seconds long, with the display around 15% brightness, 100% volume, Wi-Fi on and I'm using the built in video player (I couldn't figure out how to make the video loop so when it finishes I'm pressing the play button to play it again).

Here's what I've recorded so far:
100% at 6:52pm
94% at 7:51pm
76% at 9:29pm
55% at 11:15pm
36% at 12:52am
28% at 1:40am
20% at 2:21am (it's extremely difficult to see the screen now as it's so dark, I actually had to turn off all the lights in my apartment so I could see what the battery level was at)

I should add that I'm using the original OS with whatever update HP released for it, none of the builds and nothing is overclocked.

Still trying to figure out if I'm crazy for thinking that I was getting better battery life out of it before or if I should just shut up and accept that this is good (or figure out if it's bad so I can either return it or contact HP if needed).

What do you guys think and is there a way I could squeeze a little more power out of the Touchpad? I'm hoping to do some more testing with it tomorrow with the display at 50% and then, maybe if I really feel up to it, again at 100%.

Oh, I should add that the only program I've actually installed on the Touchpad is pReader along with a whole bunch of books (but I've only added 6-8 to the library), along with a bunch of videos (which aren't recognized by the built in player).

To update the post, I continued on with testing and here's where I ended up:

13% at 3:01am

After that I decided that I had tested enough and didn't think I should continue on until the system powered itself off/drained the battery completely (for fear of damaging the battery as I've had that happen before with a laptop battery).

Still trying to decide if that's normal or not. As I said, when first getting the Touchpad and charging it I swear I could use it for a long period of time and go online without it making much of a dent in battery life while now it seems that's not the case at all.
BayAreaTreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2011, 10:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaTreo View Post
I believe you are well within the normal range. Have you down loaded Dr. Battery to see what your battery capacity is and the overall health of the battery?
I have not... Can it be downloaded with the normal webOS or is it pre-ware?

I just wasn't too sure given that I have been seeing people reporting video playback like that with 50% brightness on their screen, etc. Chances are I will do some further testing just to see and report back for others to use as comparison too.
Old 09/21/2011, 08:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

So... Another test, probably a more realistic one in terms of use.

I forget when I started this, a few days ago but here goes:

9:45pm - Turned on Touchpad, 100% Battery, Bluetooth On
9:47pm - When the Touchpad actually turned on
-Used it for Hotmail, Twitter (Site), some Facebook (site)
10:14pm - 98%
10:57pm - 90%
11:05pm - 88%, Turned Bluetooth Off, Screen Locked and Turned Off
12:47am - 89%, Off since 11:05, Went to Bed
9:01am - 88%, Turned Bluetooth On, Browsed the Web
10:01am - 74%
10:14am - 72%, Turned Bluetooth Off, Screen Locked and Turned Off
4:45pm - 71%, Off since 10:14am
11:13pm - 70%
-Used to browse the web
11:49pm - 70%
12:41am - 58%, Went to Bed
7:20am - 57%
4:40pm - 55%
5:09pm - 55%, Turned Bluetooth On, Browsed the Web
6:21pm - 38%, Turned Bluetooth Off
8:15pm - 37%, Browsed the Web
8:26pm - 35%
11:42pm - 34%, Started Using pReader
12:24am - 28%, Screen Locked and Off, Went To Bed
7:40am - 26%, Turned It Off
5:57pm - 25%, Turned It On, Did Not Use
10:03pm - 24%, Turned Bluetooth On, Surfed the Web, Twitter (Site), Facebook (Site)
10:26pm - 20%
11:02pm - 12%, Battery Indicator Turned Red
11:11pm - 10%
11:16pm - 9%, Turned Off Touchpad and Charged It

It was nice that I got a couple of days out of it with standard/normal use but I couldn't help but feel at times the battery seemed to drain quicker than others (Yes, I know... I'm nuts!)
Old 09/23/2011, 10:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Thanks for posting your times,FunkinsDesigns. I just started writing my times down, beginning with touchpad charging this am. I've been only getting about 3 hours life. I've been playing "Sparkle" for a few hours in the evening, surfing over to precentral, and that's about it. Before I went to bed it was at 40% and this morning 25%. When i get home this evening, I'm going to turn on airplane mode before I play any games. Since the battery's limited to 500 charges, my goal is to only have to charge every other day.
woosh#WN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notifications drains

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0