Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    at first my battery seemed to drain lot. I could only get 5hrs. But brightness was always 100%. I dropped it 50% and I'm getting probably 8hrs. Also WiFi on all the time drains alot at night
    It does seem that screen brightness level is a big factor in battery life. When I got mine, I turned off autodim and cranked the brightness up and battery life was clearly impacted, although I don't really recall the details. So I went back and reduced the brightness to a more realistic level that actually looks better than it did with brightness cranked way up. This battery life issues went away. I don't have any numbers to quantify this, all I know is when the brightness was up the battery actually ran out fully for the first time but no such issues since I turned brightness down.
    I forgot to mention it on my second post but I had the screen brightness turned all the way down. If I get a chance I may go and try to do some more tests with it at 25 and 50% but I just don't know if I have it in me to dedicate the time.

Honestly I don't see me getting as great run times at 25 or 50% as these other people, no real idea why but we'll see I guess.

I believe I have what I can turn off turned off but there perhaps could be more, I don't know.
    I've installed battery monitor, set to poll every minute. Surfing precentral the last half hour, I've had a 15% drain per hour. Seems pretty high to me. My battery life has dropped a few percentages while typin thiis. Wish I had some kind of timer which counted how many minutes I've been getting with each charge.I don't know how to check to see if anything is running in the background.
    I turned airplane mode on when I went to bed and only lost 4% battery life, which is promising, but whenever I use the tp, the battery drains quickly. Any help, or links to threads I might have missed would be appreciated. I have my brightness set to 50%. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by woosh View Post
    I've installed battery monitor, set to poll every minute. Surfing precentral the last half hour, I've had a 15% drain per hour. Seems pretty high to me. My battery life has dropped a few percentages while typin thiis. Wish I had some kind of timer which counted how many minutes I've been getting with each charge.I don't know how to check to see if anything is running in the background.
    I turned airplane mode on when I went to bed and only lost 4% battery life, which is promising, but whenever I use the tp, the battery drains quickly. Any help, or links to threads I might have missed would be appreciated. I have my brightness set to 50%. Thanks.
    I get similar results (12-13% drain at 0-20% brightness on stock kernal) while just browsing this forum. I also think it's rather high.
    I'm at 1.5, usually on the Touchstone when not in use or shut down at night. Just watched a 2 hour movie, start was 96%, end was 86%. Was very impressed, brightness at about 45%. Even more impressive, my temperature in the HP case was only 26C after the movie. I do think surfing and playing games seems to cause heat and battery drain more than movie watching, from the small sample size I've had of the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkinsDesigns View Post
    12:41am - 58%, Went to Bed
    7:20am - 57%
    4:40pm - 55%
    This right here is amazing to me. You had a 3% drain over 16 hours?! Was Wifi on? Because I'm getting nowhere close to that good standby. Mine battery drains 20% overnight. At that rate (20% every 8 hours), my standby time would be almost 2 days. (40 hours)

My housemate's TP doesn't seem to drain anywhere near as fast as mine on standby. Both are stock OS w/ update. Mine has a few minor preware patches but no kernels or anything. No bluetooth, default notifications but only 1 email set up which never receives anything, and I'm closer to the wifi router. There's no reason for mine to be draining faster. I barely use the thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by guavaman View Post
    This right here is amazing to me. You had a 3% drain over 16 hours?! Was Wifi on? Because I'm getting nowhere close to that good standby. Mine battery drains 20% overnight. At that rate (20% every 8 hours), my standby time would be almost 2 days. (40 hours)

My housemate's TP doesn't seem to drain anywhere near as fast as mine on standby. Both are stock OS w/ update. Mine has a few minor preware patches but no kernels or anything. No bluetooth, default notifications but only 1 email set up which never receives anything, and I'm closer to the wifi router. There's no reason for mine to be draining faster. I barely use the thing.
    When I have the Touchpad on the Wi-Fi is always on. I find when it's on and not doing anything it drains pretty slowly but, surprisingly, today I'm finding it's draining a little faster. To be fair though, I did take the Touchpad out with me when out and about so I'm wondering if, even when in standby (screen off, locked), it loses power when jumping from one Access Point to another? I'm taking some notes again today, although not nearly as detailed as before in terms of what I've been doing, etc and if I remember I will post them too.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkinsDesigns View Post
    I'm wondering if, even when in standby (screen off, locked), it loses power when jumping from one Access Point to another?
    Yes, I think it's the same as my cell phone, used to run the battery down fastest when I was in the basement at work and it was constantly searching for a signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Yes, I think it's the same as my cell phone, used to run the battery down fastest when I was in the basement at work and it was constantly searching for a signal.
    The strange part about it was that I'm pretty sure I checked the battery before I left the house and again when I got back and it was the same (I could be wrong). I went to check it later and it wasn't connected to a wireless access point so I saw it connect quickly and the battery level was the same but when I went to check again a few minutes later it had dropped a few percentage points.

Again, not very specific as I wasn't completely paying attention and will take some more detailed logs after the next charge for people that are wondering.

I'm still charging my system when it gets to under 10% as I haven't really found anything definitive when it comes to battery conditioning (some say to let it go below 10% 3-4 times and then charge but the next time to let it die completely, to the point that the Touchpad will shut itself off while others don't say anything about it.
    I just charged mine up to 100% (over about 5 hours), pulled it off the charger, let it sleep for about 10 minutes, then I came back to low battery warning with the battery reader reporting 0%. So I cycled the power, thinking it got confused somehow, and now it's actually refusing to boot because it thinks the battery is completely dead.

Weird stuff.
    I had a fully charged ipad and touchpad. I didn't use either for about a week. The touchpad was completely dead and the ipad was only down to 80%. I can't figure out why the touchpad drains so much when not in use.
    I hbad noticed that my battery life seemed low. After charging the battery for a few hours it shows battery 100%, but the line shown below doesn't even reach half way to "full charge" Any Advice? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by edhoch View Post
    I hbad noticed that my battery life seemed low. After charging the battery for a few hours it shows battery 100%, but the line shown below doesn't even reach half way to "full charge" Any Advice? Thanks!
    Ok, I'm a big *****, the line below the 100% battery notation is the brightness indicator, NOT a battery life indicator!

somline likes this.
    I already wondered what line you where talking about ;-)
    Does anyone know how long the battery will last in its entire lifetime? I know that that might be a hard question to answer since the touchpads out there are so young. I'm just wondering what will happen once the battery dies, if HP stops supporting the tp.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12