Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I don't think I would spend $400 on a discontinued product with questionable future support. $99 and $149 are compelling because even if hp never touches webOS again you still have a digital frame/alarm clock/ e-reader/browser. Much above those prices and you are making a big gamble that this thing will still be supported in 6 months.

Having said that, if you are a big webOS fan, know what you are getting in the Touchpad and are happy with that, it may be an ok deal for you to have the best they had to offer.
    I can't help but wonder where they came from. There are 26 listed on eBay as I write this.
  3.    #23  
    Dear Customers, HP Touchpad 64GB is shipping tomorrow from our warehouse. If
    you have already purchased your Touchpad in last couple days, we thank you
    for your order! All domestic (US) orders are shipping Priority Mail at no
    additional charge, which means you will get the package in 2-3 days. Other
    options are available atadditional charge. All international orders ship
    USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate, please note International
    shipping is not free. Including insurance, it is $90/unit. Fedex
    International shipping is also available worldwide, starting at $150.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilburjoe View Post
    Dear Customers, HP Touchpad 64GB is shipping tomorrow from our warehouse. If
    you have already purchased your Touchpad in last couple days, we thank you
    for your order! All domestic (US) orders are shipping Priority Mail at no
    additional charge, which means you will get the package in 2-3 days. Other
    options are available atadditional charge. All international orders ship
    USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate, please note International
    shipping is not free. Including insurance, it is $90/unit. Fedex
    International shipping is also available worldwide, starting at $150.
    And this tells me what?
    1000 16 gig?? uhh ok ...
    L.T.R
    learn teach repeat
    Skyflyer likes this.
    Why, there isn't 64 gig of apps, maybe if you have a lot of photos and music? Heck, I am not sure the $150 I paid for the 32 g is worth it. Browser just freezes or is so slow you think it is froze and can't hardly use it, it also gives me error : can't find host - or some such message. The HP & Palm folks have some work to do to make this work right with a lot of people owning these. Hope they will keep the updates coming for a while.
    bbfanatic20 likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i think during the initial fire sale these were going for 250-ish
    I wish I would have known, I was on HP.com the first night it was out and got a few 32gb. But would have gotten a white one for myself. Where was it listed? All I seen that night was the two black ones (16-32gb).
    I found this site that has the white 64gb TouchPad available, they are charging $425 for it:

https://www.nycomputerexchange.com/products/?id=236928
  10.    #30  
    I was lucky enough to purchase 2 16gb and a 32
    gb. I gave my wife and 8 year old son each a 16gb and kept the 32gb for myself. After loading apps, music and pictures. There is not a lot of room left on the 16gb I gave my wife. So if you are going to buy one and have the choice definitely go with the 32 gb.

Between my wife and I we have had every version of the IPhone. We have a Mac. I have probably sold more Apple products to friends and family than a full time Apple employee. However, I absolutely love the Touchpad. I do like being able to swipe. I find myself trying to do it on my IPhone now out of habit. I actually like the browser. I don't understand all the complaints about the browser. If you have owned an IPhone you have Safari shut down on you all the time.

I don't have an IPad. I was getting close to ordering one when this came out. So I went in to Best Buy on Friday and tested out an IPad and compared it to my Touchpad. I went to Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics an educational site my 5 year old uses. On the Ipsd it told me that my device did not support their site. However, an app was available in the App store. So I look and they wanted $2.99 for an app. This is something I can do for free on my Touchpad. So sure the IPad has a lot of apps but are they apps you are really going to buy or have to buy because Apple will not allow to use Flash? The fact of the matter is that Flash is still relevant. It may not be someday but on 2011 it still is. I know several people that have IPad that are envious that I can play Flash sites on my Touchpad.

With all that said if I was going to spend $499 on either a 16gb IPad or a Touchpad I will admit I would buy and IPad. I think somewhere around a $300 price point and the Touchpad would be a success. I hope that HP or someone continues to support Webos and I will continue to support the developers. I think this is a great product.

If you don't like the Touchpad and wish to bash it you are on the wrong site.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeNoMiZeD View Post
    I wish I would have known, I was on HP.com the first night it was out and got a few 32gb. But would have gotten a white one for myself. Where was it listed? All I seen that night was the two black ones (16-32gb).
    i dont think it lasted very long HP TouchPad 9.7" WiFi Tablet: 64GB $250 - Slickdeals.net
    they only had 200 in stock
  12.    #32  
    I received my 64gb today from Sarasota Computer Tech. Brand new in the box. Almost afraid to open it.
    I received my 64gb today from Sarasota Computer Tech. Brand new in the box. Almost afraid to open it.
    how much and why afraid to open it?
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    I just bought 64gb panda off ebay and is sitting on the charger now. More impulse buy than anything, but it seems worth it. The 32gb overclocked is really nice to begin with, but I think I am going to give to my mom as a birthday gift. I am wondering if the processors in the panda 64gb tablets are binned better and that is why they clocked them at 1.5ghz. Also, does anyone know how to turn get the gsm radio working for internet?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by menteleum View Post
    I just bought 64gb panda off ebay and is sitting on the charger now. More impulse buy than anything, but it seems worth it. The 32gb overclocked is really nice to begin with, but I think I am going to give to my mom as a birthday gift. I am wondering if the processors in the panda 64gb tablets are binned better and that is why they clocked them at 1.5ghz. Also, does anyone know how to turn get the gsm radio working for internet?
    Not 100% confirmed as I, nor anyone else, that got a panda is probably too keen on tearing it down. It is almost certainly a better binned processor as I have read this is pretty much the norm in the industry.

I'm glad I got the 64. I had an android tablet- still do but haven't touched it weeks, and I popped a 32 gb sd in it and was having to off load stuff after a few months. I don't think that's a typical issue for many, but I now do 95% of my computer related tasks or consumption on the TP. Funny thing was after using my android tablet and playing with my gf's iPad I didn't think I would be a tablet person to the extent that it became my primary device. Multitasking is just so key to my personal pref.

A few weeks back I was driving from Michigan to Chicago and then onto Kansas City and found out I needed to turn in a research paper. I literally pulled off to a rest stop and tethered a connection from my phone. I downloaded the journal articles and med reviews I needed, and had them nicely stacked. Then pulled up a template example submission and criteria for the peer review I was doing. A little internet research to find additional sources, and connected my bt keyboard. I was even able to goto PubMed or BibMe to copy over the URLs and have it create the proper APA citation format. Edit it all together, saved it and did I quick proof read. Final save, and then I pulled up the email to attach and it was in before my 11am deadline.

Card view was a huge asset in being able to quickly glace back between sources and compose while surfing for information and the rest. Yes, other mobile os's could achieve such a thing, but I really felt I was able to accomplish things much easier and faster bc multitasking shines on webOS and the TP. Now, imagine in few months when the support and features are improved and built out.

I got my dad a 32 as a gift and he is already loving it. He's hardly tech-savvy, but a key need for him was to access lab reports through the processing labs website secured portal. They currently only support access via IE. So, he went to them and explained his need, and they actually were excited to take this up and to have their IT guys start creating support for login access, and he will get to beta test it to improve the implementation.

As for the 3G radio. There isn't one. A few people have a mobile 3/4G version, but its been found they are running webOS 3.0.3- which I guess isn't really different then the current version except mobile support. Just a way to flag the different build features. (?) You can always check on the side of the tablet to see if you have a live sim card slot. On the side is a springloaded slot that you press in and will release the slot. The WiFi only versions have a placeholder tag with device information on it. I read on here that there no way to swap in a live mobile radio as some of the other hardware isn't there to support actually running one even if you could?

Enjoy and sorry for the long reply !

sent from my Pandapad
    Last edited by jmleese; 09/15/2011 at 03:00 AM.
  16.    #36  
    I got mine yesterday and noticed on the box it was in from HP is shows it is number 70 of 200. Anyone else get theirs in original packing with stock numbers?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    you mean on the shipping box or packaging? I'll check if you let me know where you saw this? Only place I know that has sold a batch of these minus a few that somehow ordered from HP directly or maybe AT&T though doubtful was the CostCentral lot of around 220 or so.
    Reposting from other Panda TouchPad thread.

I have two Touchpads, a 4G model and a White PandaPad 64GB so I'm qualified to put the Panda 4G speculation to bed.

One is a White 64GB Panda-pad running the stock processor at 1.5 GHz out of the box.

The other is a Black 3G/4G Touchpad that's also running a stock 1.5Ghz under it's hood. Touchpad 4G's have 32GB of storage space in the trunk.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that the White 64GB Panda Pads do not have a GSM radio inside and there's no way to add one without replacing the main board. Allthough there's likely to be some White backs merged together with black 4G devices by crafty web os community members.

The main board inside the Touchpad 4G has a conector for the ribbon cable from the SIM card slot that doesn't exist on it's fair skinned brother. Additionally, the 4G model I have is Voice and SMS crippled. It's modem /phone/data card is only good for data. the flip side is it's at HSPA+ fast transfer rates. Thats no big deal if you have a Pre 3 and can pair it for voice and SMS.

One other tidbit to note and I don't know if it applies to the non AT&T branded TP 4G's or not, but mine wont make a data connection using a PrePaid AT&T go phone SIM. Only the postpaid AT&T SIM works. I also tested a good2go mobile prepaid SIM card with data screaming along at HSPA+ speeds. T-Mobile USA SIMS also work but only have offer a 2G Edge data connection.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    you mean on the shipping box or packaging? I'll check if you let me know where you saw this? Only place I know that has sold a batch of these minus a few that somehow ordered from HP directly or maybe AT&T though doubtful was the CostCentral lot of around 220 or so.
    I received my 64gb in the original packaging from HP. The brown box had return mail info for HP. It also has a sticker indicating it was number 70 of 200 along with other info. Inside was the Touchpad in the sealed white box. I have 5 TouchPad and this is the only one that came in the original HP packaging.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I was lucky enough to purchase 2 16gb and a 32
    gb. I gave my wife and 8 year old son each a 16gb and kept the 32gb for myself. After loading apps, music and pictures. There is not a lot of room left on the 16gb I gave my wife. So if you are going to buy one and have the choice definitely go with the 32 gb.

Between my wife and I we have had every version of the IPhone. We have a Mac. I have probably sold more Apple products to friends and family than a full time Apple employee. However, I absolutely love the Touchpad. I do like being able to swipe. I find myself trying to do it on my IPhone now out of habit. I actually like the browser. I don't understand all the complaints about the browser. If you have owned an IPhone you have Safari shut down on you all the time.

I don't have an IPad. I was getting close to ordering one when this came out. So I went in to Best Buy on Friday and tested out an IPad and compared it to my Touchpad. I went to Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics an educational site my 5 year old uses. On the Ipsd it told me that my device did not support their site. However, an app was available in the App store. So I look and they wanted $2.99 for an app. This is something I can do for free on my Touchpad. So sure the IPad has a lot of apps but are they apps you are really going to buy or have to buy because Apple will not allow to use Flash? The fact of the matter is that Flash is still relevant. It may not be someday but on 2011 it still is. I know several people that have IPad that are envious that I can play Flash sites on my Touchpad.

With all that said if I was going to spend $499 on either a 16gb IPad or a Touchpad I will admit I would buy and IPad. I think somewhere around a $300 price point and the Touchpad would be a success. I hope that HP or someone continues to support Webos and I will continue to support the developers. I think this is a great product.

If you don't like the Touchpad and wish to bash it you are on the wrong site.
    You have some good points and I agree with most of what you say (especially the Flash envy ) but ...

People come to this site to discover all kinds of things about technology, as a gadget lover I like to know what I am getting into pre-purchase, the research is part of the fun. The firesale rush buy of a TP was my exception

I agree that the mindless 'bashing' of something on what is generally a 'pro' site is not good, however I also want to see the other side of things.

If this is the 'wrong site' then where do I go if all negativity is jumped on?

Right, I've dragged us off-topic (as is my way) ... To contribute I will say I can't see any need for more than a 32Gb TP.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast