1.    #1  
    Is it safe to use the Touchpad's original AC adapter to charge smartphones?

The Touchpad's adapter is rated at 5V 2 amp output. My Samsung Galaxy
    SII charger is rated only 0.7 amp.

Thanks!
    All I can say is it depends on whether or not the device you are charging has circuitry to prevent fast charging of the battery. If it does, then the current (amps) are irrelevant as the phone will only draw what it needs. Voltage, however, is far more important and will burn your circuit if it's not exact.

If you plug your phone into the larger ac adapter and it takes about the same amount of time to charge, then I'd say it's relatively safe. (don't hold me to it though) If it charges your phone significantly faster, I would not do it again. One charge will likely not cause major damage, again, so long as voltage is the same and you are periodically checking the battery for overheating.
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 09/07/2011 at 12:40 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    All I could say is it depends on whether or not the device you are charging has circuitry to prevent fast charging of the battery. If it does, then the current (amps) are irrelevant as the phone will only draw what it needs. Voltage, however, is far more important and will burn your circuit if it's not exact.

If you plug your phone into the larger ac adapter and it takes about the same amount of time to charge, then I'd say it's safe. (don't hold me to it though) If it charges your phone significantly faster, I would say do not do it again. One charge will likely not cause major damage, again, so long as voltage is the same.

I think I'll just stick to the original USB charger that came with my Samsung Galaxy SII.
    Not worth taking a chance on a $800 unlocked phone that has no warranty in the US.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    It would be safe to use the HP charger for any lower powered device. All battery chargers must have a max limit or they risk destroying the battery. It's built into the design of any device. Just because the power source can supply more than is needed doesn't mean the device will be forced to use it.
    It all depends on if it's a regulated power supply or an unregulated power supply. A regulated PS will only supply as much as the device asks for, an unregulated PS will only blast at its maximum listed capacity.
    Yes, HardbeatZ posted about this in another forum. It has been working for me.
    Yes, but it's best to use the Touchpad charger to charge the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    used my hp charger all weekend to charge my wifes phone and mine. Worked great, no issues.
    I've also used the TP charger to charge a Pre2 and it charges the phone significantly faster than the Pre's original charger. The phone also gets a lot warmer than using its own charger.

Not sure what to make of that...
    Thanks,

Susan.
    Quote Originally Posted by logastellus View Post
    I've also used the TP charger to charge a Pre2 and it charges the phone significantly faster than the Pre's original charger. The phone also gets a lot warmer than using its own charger.

I'll tell ya what to make of that.. heat is bad for batteries. there is no debate there. its a fact. If you keep doing it, you are more than likely going to shorten the life of your battery. But if it charges in 7 minutes, who care right? haha jk.. just be careful heat is a battery killer.
    I charge my HTC HD2 with the touchpad charger. No problems with heat for me. When my HD2 gets hot (like when using it as a GPS if I don't have the airconditioner pointed at the phone) it refuses to charge; connected to the touchpad charger it doesn't seem to be overheating.
    If the smartphone is designed for a 5V charger it will not accept a charging current above the value that the circuit is designed for and the TouchPad charger will be fine. End of story!!
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    If the smartphone is designed for a 5V charger it will not accept a charging current above the value that the circuit is designed for and the TouchPad charger will be fine. End of story!!
    well then if my pre 3 can charge faster on the touchpads 2A charger, why didnt it come with one itself?
    I use mine to charge my LG Rumor 2 all the time. Charges in about 20 minutes, compared to hours on it's stock charger. Don't really care too much if I smoke it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I hooked up mine to my Palm Pre 1 yesterday. It was at 68%. It fully charged it in about 20 minutes with no heat. Not sure I'll do it again tho as I just had grabbed the wrong cord. Good to know tho.

Yeah I used it one time for my pre-. It got very warm, and also reset a couple of times, I'm sticking to the standard charger. It will be next to impossible to get a new pre.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.

Yeah, I charged my Pre2 with my TP charger once Only once, it got quit hot and started acting funny. It required a reboot to go back to normal.

I won't do it again and don't recommend it.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    it is the voltage, not the ampere that would affect the charging. If the charger amp is higher than the gadget input, then ur gadget will adjust down the amp (to get the desire charging power), if its lesser, then your gadget will not charge (or not fast enough).

if the voltage is different or bigger, then that is where you need to be careful or it will fried your gadget. Most of the USB charger should he ok since it is based on 5v
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I have been charging my palm pre with the touchpad charger and it is definatly faster. I have seen the battery just die at about 35% lately. With not knowing the full specs I think I will not do it anymore.