Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    why is the headphone volume level so low on the Touchpad?

    I tried it with several pairs of headphones and earbuds.

    Listening to the same piece of music(in 2 formats, WAV and MP3),
    the Touchpad's volume, even when volume is at maximum, is
    always a lot quieter than my other devices' headphone output:

    (1) iPod Touch 64GB
    (2) iPad 1
    (3) cheap $200 PC (made by HP)
    (4) Samsung Galaxy SII phone
    (5) home A/V receiver
    (6) Amazon Kindle e-Reader default MP3 player
    (7) Sony PSP
    (8) HP netbook

    Got the same results on all three of my Touchpads, using the
    default music player and AudiophileHD app. I also tried using
    "Increase TP Volume" app, both regular and lite, but heard
    no difference.

    Here's the strange part, the Touchpad's volume level is just as
    loud as those other devices when playing videos(MKV/MP4/AVI).

    Is there some other setting that I need to chagne?
  2. #2  
    they don't want you to ruin your hearing. But if you want to anyway, there are patches in Preware that will increase it some.
  3. #3  
    they don't want you to ruin your hearing. But if you want to anyway, there are patches in Preware that will increase it some.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    they don't want you to ruin your hearing. But if you want to anyway, there are patches in Preware that will increase it some.
    Even though this is the solution to the problem, it's an highly unacceptable solution.
  5. #5  
    Why is it a highly unacceptable solution?

    Maybe you consider the problem itself to be unacceptable
    I am, therefore I think
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Why is it a highly unacceptable solution?

    Maybe you consider the problem itself to be unacceptable
    The standard volume out of the box should be higher. You can't expect the average consumer with little to no PC/ Mac knowledge to come to this site, figure out Preware, install it, install the patch, continue to update it every time there is a new release, and figure out what to do if it causes a problem.

    If you're response is going to be "oh it's not a problem for me to do it," for some people it is. I've been installing patches on my Pre since the inception of Preware in 2009. The main issue with Palm/ HP products is that they don't get it right the first time or second time, by then the above average user has to turn to the community.

    You have to install four to five patches just to "increase" the performance of the Touchpad. Again, unacceptable.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    The standard volume out of the box should be higher. You can't expect the average consumer with little to know PC/ Mac knowledge to come to this site, figure out Preware, install it, install the patch, continue to update it every time there is a new release, and figure out what to do if it causes a problem.

    If you're response is going to be "oh it's not a problem for me to do it," for some people it is. I've been installing patches on my Pre since the inception of Preware in 2009. The main issue with Palm/ HP products is that they don't get it right the first time, then the adove average user has to turn to the community.

    You have to install four to five patches just to "increase" the performance of the Touchpad. Again, unacceptable.
    Dude, calm down. Once again, a patch is not an unacceptable solution because it works. I mentioned nothing about the average user or anything. I didn't even say whether I agreed or disagreed that the volume is loud enough when stock, so please don't make assumptions.

    But to address your points
    1) The volume is fine when in speaker mode; headphone volume could have been louder but I don't think it is as severe as people make it out to be but then again people are ruining their hearing with iPods all the time.
    2) Using Preware is not rocket science. Especially considering that the Preware Homebrew Documentation app is in the official App Catalog. I too was once a wide-eyed noob that knew nothing about homebrew but it wasn't exactly difficult to learn.
    3) I don't like HP as a company so you wont see me defending their decisions for the most part but being critical and whining are two different things; some people on these forums need to take a lesson in learning to execute criticism the right way.

    Once again, I will say that the solution is not what is unacceptable but the fact that a homebrew solution is needed is what is unacceptable.
    I am, therefore I think
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Dude, calm down. Once again, a patch is not an unacceptable solution because it works. I mentioned nothing about the average user or anything. I didn't even say whether I agreed or disagreed that the volume is loud enough when stock, so please don't make assumptions.

    But to address your points
    1) The volume is fine when in speaker mode; headphone volume could have been louder but I don't think it is as severe as people make it out to be but then again people are ruining their hearing with iPods all the time.
    2) Using Preware is not rocket science. Especially considering that the Preware Homebrew Documentation app is in the official App Catalog. I too was once a wide-eyed noob that knew nothing about homebrew but it wasn't exactly difficult to learn.
    3) I don't like HP as a company so you wont see me defending their decisions for the most part but being critical and whining are two different things; some people on these forums need to take a lesson in learning to execute criticism the right way.

    Once again, I will say that the solution is not what is unacceptable but the fact that a homebrew solution is needed is what is unacceptable.
    First, there's no need to calm down.

    Second, I enjoy tinkering with my devices. However, the majority of Touchpad owners aren't on this site, nor care about Preware.

    Thirdly, you need to take a lesson in not trying to hide being a fan--boy. Anything that remotely negative about the Touchpad has to be attacked. You also need to have an understanding what people are talking about when the issue at hand is an unoptimized operating system.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    First, there's no need to calm down.

    Second, I enjoy tinkering with my devices. However, the majority of Touchpad owners aren't on this site, nor care about Preware.

    Thirdly, you need to take a lesson in understanding what people are talking about when the issue at hand is an unoptimized operating system.
    I'm pretty sure I don't need to understand anything. I'm just saying there is no reason to criticize when it has nothing to do with whether the patch is an acceptable solution. It has to do with HP not streamlining the OS and certain features. I never once disagreed about that so I'm not sure why you are acting defensive about me understanding. Like I said, I don't like the way HP has handled webOS in software-, hardware- and marketing-wise.

    When it boils down to it this site it is about helping webOS users and fostering progress in the community, not about whether community-made solutions are necessary, unacceptable, etc.
    I am, therefore I think
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    First, there's no need to calm down.

    Second, I enjoy tinkering with my devices. However, the majority of Touchpad owners aren't on this site, nor care about Preware.

    Thirdly, you need to take a lesson in not trying to hide being a fan--boy. Anything that remotely negative about the Touchpad has to be attacked. You also need to have an understanding what people are talking about when the issue at hand is an unoptimized operating system.
    I used to be a fan-boy of iOS, then defected to Android.... and I defected again to WebOS.
    (to be perfectly honest, I'd gladly become a fan-boy of anything that works great)

    Like I mentioned, I did try "Increase TP Volume"(both versions) and that didn't raise the
    volume by that much. Or is there another patch that I should be looking for? I didn't
    see other such apps/patches in preware.

    Thanks!

    P.S. why does "f a n b o y" get changed to ****** on this website?
    Is "f a n b o y" now considered a dirty word or something?
    Last edited by roundruler; 09/07/2011 at 02:48 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    I used to be a ****** of iOS, then defected to Android.... and I defected again to WebOS.
    (to be perfectly honest, I'd gladly become a ****** of anything that works great)

    Like I mentioned, I did try "Increase TP Volume"(both versions) and that didn't raise the
    volume by that much. Or is there another patch that I should be looking for? I didn't
    see other such apps/patches in preware.

    Thanks!
    What apps are you using? Are you just using the standard video or music apps? I find that when I use Kalemsoft with the Lite volume patch, it can be too loud. With the regular video/ photos app, it's low. However, the system sounds are only slightly louder.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    I used to be a ****** of iOS, then defected to Android.... and I defected again to WebOS.
    (to be perfectly honest, I'd gladly become a ****** of anything that works great)

    Like I mentioned, I did try "Increase TP Volume"(both versions) and that didn't raise the
    volume by that much. Or is there another patch that I should be looking for? I didn't
    see other such apps/patches in preware.

    Thanks!
    Roundruler, as far as I know those are the only two patches that exist to help with the volume problem.

    Do you mind me asking what you're trying to listen to via headphones that is playing too quietly?

    I ask because I use my TouchPad to watch movies and TV shows on the site letwatchthis.com and sometimes the volume is almost too loud and others it is really low depending on the video.
    I am, therefore I think
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    why is the headphone volume level so low on the Touchpad?
    Because HP decided not to invest developer time into developing controller app for included Wolfson codec. However, codec offers great headphone volume levels, hardware bass effects, hardware EQ, good digital amplifier, but there must be an app which let user setting this stuff.. Older Wolfson codec is present in Galaxy S phone I'm using, and I can tel you it rocks. If one day CM or others port Android to TP, there is Voodoo control plus app for sound optimization with support for headphone digital amplifier and other sound enhancements.
  14. #14  
    I can't turn it up all the way with my Share in ear monitors without killing my ears. What isn't loud enough?
  15. #15  
    I play through the browser using Google Music Beta and was disturbed by the volume. None of the obvious controls helped. On a whim I started the embedded player and found the volume control in it worked for the music playing in the browser.

Posting Permissions