1.    #1  
    I am sorry if this has been answered before, but how can I use my optimus S (on SERO plan) to get wi-fi on the touchpad? Not looking to use the touchpad as a phone, but just to get internet access on the go.
    I have free tether on my touchpad. I assume (newbie here) that my optimus will have to be rooted, but how to do it? If someone can provide step by step instructions, it would be appreciated.
    I got it to work this weekend on my Optimus V.
    Add the quick settings app and then use it to turn on the wifi hotsopt.
    Make sure the "hotspot" you're trying to enable is NOT ad-hoc... it won't work with the TP.
    I think you're in the wrong forum; you should try an android forum.

Basically, this is how it works:

1) You would need for your Optimus S to act as the wifi hotspot. This means that you would need an app (like FreeTether) on the phone, NOT on the tablet.

2) Once you get the Optimus S to act as a wifi hotspot, you just click in the wifi icon in the top-right corner of the TouchPad, and select that wifi hotspot created by your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterre View Post
    I got it to work this weekend on my Optimus V.
    Add the quick settings app and then use it to turn on the wifi hotsopt.
    This will work if you have not updated your phone in a while. The latest update that they have been trying to force on me for about 3 months now broke this loophole.

So if you updated your phone you will need to root I think. The legit tethers I don't believe use the right method to work with Touchpad.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeko318 View Post
    This will work if you have not updated your phone in a while. The latest update that they have been trying to force on me for about 3 months now broke this loophole.

So if you updated your phone you will need to root I think. The legit tethers I don't believe use the right method to work with Touchpad.
    Yes, I have the updated version of the phone. Do you know the simplest way to root and which tether app works the best?
    Quote Originally Posted by sports View Post
    Yes, I have the updated version of the phone. Do you know the simplest way to root and which tether app works the best?
    I haven't tried rooting mine since it runs flawlessly normal. Since I didn't install it. But here are some forums to check out.

Optimus S Rooting, ROMs, Themes, & Unbrick Methods - Android Forums

and

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...optimus-s.html
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I rooted this phone and its the best possible decision I could have made. It is now EXTREMELY fast, I have tons of storage, and wifi tether. Use one of the threads above to root and then you can wifi for free. I am on Drew's CM7 rom.
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by snipsta View Post
    I rooted this phone and its the best possible decision I could have made. It is now EXTREMELY fast, I have tons of storage, and wifi tether. Use one of the threads above to root and then you can wifi for free. I am on Drew's CM7 rom.
    Thanks so much. I will be trying this out.
    Maybe a dumb question, but I assume when I do this all the current info on the phone will be lost. Is there a way to back it up so I can use it again after rooting?
    Quote Originally Posted by sports View Post
    Thanks so much. I will be trying this out.
    Maybe a dumb question, but I assume when I do this all the current info on the phone will be lost. Is there a way to back it up so I can use it again after rooting?
    You'll want to do a nandroid backup (In recovery) prior to flashing a new rom. If you ever want to go back to stock, you can do a wipe and then flash back to the backup

Sent from my HTC Eva 4G using Tapatalk