1.    #1  
    Just a theory... Is it possible to get WINE to run on ubuntu that we have recently been able to get running on the TP? Would be pretty sweet to be able to run .exe on our touchpads. I am not to familiar with the reqs for it though.
    Why not? Wine is in the repositories so just install it and there ya go.
    Sprint Love
    I'm not an expert, but I doubt it would work because WINE doesn't emulator CPU architectures.

E.g. WINE will work when running ubuntu on an intel desktop processor - running an EXE meant for x86 on ARM probably won't work.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Yeah, I don't think it will emulate x86 hardware so it shouldn't work.
    Yep, wine can technically be compiled and set up on a touchpad, but it won't run windows native programs unless they have been specifically ported for arm. So, essentially useless .

If you're really jonesing to run x86 programs, your best bet is probably the dosbox project and waiting on someone to get that up and running properly on our touchpads. That could potentially bring us all sorts of dos applications, and eventually it could lead to windows 98 or even xp.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    If you're really jonesing to run x86 programs, your best bet is probably the dosbox project and waiting on someone to get that up and running properly on our touchpads. That could potentially bring us all sorts of dos applications, and eventually it could lead to windows 98 or even xp.
    Win 98 is probable since it runs on top of DOS but I don't think any of the NT based os's are going to work. I am pretty sure I saw a screenshot of win 3.1 running on a TP. Not that 3.1 would help much.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    On YouTube I have seen some videos running Windows 9x on the TouchPad - according to the comments these were done using qemu. Doing a quick search with Google I have found Emulating Other OS's on the TouchPad via qEMU
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Win 98 is probable since it runs on top of DOS but I don't think any of the NT based os's are going to work. I am pretty sure I saw a screenshot of win 3.1 running on a TP. Not that 3.1 would help much.
    Using qemu, you can get win 98 to work, but very slow. The biggest problem is the cursor because you can't control it easily and it often click on something not intended.

Theoretically you can get XP to work under qemu. However, the new ubuntu stopped porting kvm which is needed for qemu to run win XP. You'll have to degrade ubuntu to older versions that have the kvm support.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    On YouTube I have seen some videos running Windows 9x on the TouchPad - according to the comments these were done using qemu. Doing a quick search with Google I have found Emulating Other OS's on the TouchPad via qEMU
    I tried this by setting up the Windows 95 OS using VirtualBox and then just copied the *.vmdk to the TP, renaming it "hdd.img". Works great *except* the mouse jumps all over the place and the there's no keyboard support. I tried using "-usb -usbdevice tablet" in the qemu.sh file in order to enable the "absolute pointer" as found elsewhere, but apart from installing the usb driver, I wasn't able to see a difference. There are VKB's for Windows but w/o satisfactory Mouse 'guidance' it doesn't help.

So close.

The problem with using QEMU is that it has to do full software CPU emulation, there's no hardware virtualization help since it's cross-architecture (so no, kvm wouldn't help anyway). On a 1.5Ghz ARM CPU core, I'd bet the best x86-equivalent speed you're going to get is around 133Mhz. That was realy super fast, over 15 years ago! we run I/O buses faster than that now.

QEMU can also be used to run WINE, which might be a little better since it doesn't have to emulate the entire computer system and run all of Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post

QEMU can also be used to run WINE, which might be a little better since it doesn't have to emulate the entire computer system and run all of Windows.
    So that is an interesting prospect, using qEMU to run Wine. I've played around a bit and have qEMU installed under Ubuntu and there's supposed to be a way to place a qEMU specific version of Wine to run but I'm not finding it anywhere - it may just be too old. If you know where to find the files needed to run Wine with qEMU under Ubuntu that might solve the problem! Any guidance is much appreciated!
    Sorry, I know you *can* do it but I don't know precisely how. I've run QEMU quite a bit on x86 Windows and Linux boxes, and have done a bit of fiddling with WINE on x86 Linux, but have not tried to use both together on a non-x86 host. You'll have to search around for information on the subject.

I know you use the user-space emulation mode of QEMU, rather than the full-system emulation. There's a snippet about it in the QEMU docs that makes it look pretty easy:QEMU Emulator User Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Sorry, I know you *can* do it but I don't know precisely how. I've run QEMU quite a bit on x86 Windows and Linux boxes, and have done a bit of fiddling with WINE on x86 Linux, but have not tried to use both together on a non-x86 host. You'll have to search around for information on the subject.

I know you use the user-space emulation mode of QEMU, rather than the full-system emulation. There's a snippet about it in the QEMU docs that makes it look pretty easy:QEMU Emulator User Documentation
    It does look easy: "Download the binary x86 Wine install (qemu-XXX-i386-wine.tar.gz on the QEMU web page)." Only problem is that this package does not seem to appear anywhere qemu.org or anywhere else for that matter. This seems like the only possible way to run Wine under an Armel version of Ubuntu that I've found (or, I guess, 'read about'.)
    So it *can* be done after all.

Just to keep this going I'll refer to this post:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3243960

There seems to be some potential with the right build strategy. It all kinda makes me think it'd be possible to even run a windows program in a card w/o Chroot or a full windows install - theoretically at least?
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    So it *can* be done after all.

Just to keep this going I'll refer to this post:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3243960

There seems to be some potential with the right build strategy. It all kinda makes me think it'd be possible to even run a windows program in a card w/o Chroot or a full windows install - theoretically at least?
    I think you would need at least a near full windows install. Windows applications rely on so many windows dll files, windows services, the registy, etc.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    I think you would need at least a near full windows install. Windows applications rely on so many windows dll files, windows services, the registy, etc.
    Right, you'd need to have a full *Wine* (windows) install with qemu emulation - I just mean you wouldn't actually need the full Win98 GUI like grazzt demonstration ipk that boots a Hdd image file. Instead, you'd run the qemu-i386 > Wine > winProgram.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Right, you'd need to have a full *Wine* (windows) install with qemu emulation - I just mean you wouldn't actually need the full Win98 GUI like grazzt demonstration ipk that boots a Hdd image file. Instead, you'd run the qemu-i386 > Wine > winProgram.
    Exactly.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.