Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By vella_
  1.    #1  
    it's funny but sometimes when I read complex programming answers to simple questions about webOS and overclocking etc etc it makes me think of the old kaypro 2 days and cp/m. this is the 21st century kids. It shouldn't be this complex for everybody who isn't a programmer or a complete geek.
    Overclocking is a geek thing. And honestly, overclocking the TouchPad is so insanely easy.
    What do you think complex? Most things are 2-3 very easy (if you can google) steps to follow... even installing Ubuntu was easy.
    I cannot think any other way, which overclocking would be made easier. Download the Preware documentation app you will see. I remember when i was younger, in the pentium PC's era, you had to attend IT classes or spend time with qualified peps to get your DIY "fix".

Remember Google and youtube is your friend , Free information will get better !!!
    "Humanity wasn't ready for WebOS"

Pre - uk day 1
    Pre + uk Replacement
    HP Touchpad 16 GB Day 1
    HP Pre 3 Vodafone
    If you have a pulse and the ability to read, then over clocking should be very very easy. I'm a nurse, total girly girl and I clock my tp at 1.7. The guides are fool proof. What exactly don't you understand? Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Good luck. Over clocking is not a geek thing either. Its a people who don't want to suffer on 1.2 thing.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Typo Lad and jblather like this.
  6.    #6  
    I didnt say i was having a problem overclocking. I did it and it was a cinch. All i was saying was that for most newbies who ran out anf bought a firesale tp with no concept of techie stuff it would all be arcane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I didnt say i was having a problem overclocking. I did it and it was a cinch. All i was saying was that for most newbies who ran out anf bought a firesale tp with no concept of techie stuff it would all be arcane.
    The only way it would be easier is if someone did it for you. It's basically as easy as it's going to get.
  8.    #8  
    Vella see my quick response. I easily overclocked patched etc etc but my point was that for most newbies who bought because of price it probably all seems complex and should be a much simpler process. I went to 1.5 but found no SIMPLE way to go to 1.7.

Quote Originally Posted by vella_ View Post
    If you have a pulse and the ability to read, then over clocking should be very very easy. I'm a nurse, total girly girl and I clock my tp at 1.7. The guides are fool proof. What exactly don't you understand? Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. Good luck. Over clocking is not a geek thing either. Its a people who don't want to suffer on 1.2 thing.
    Vella see my quick response. I easily overclocked patched etc etc but my point was that for most newbies who bought because of price it probably all seems complex and should be a much simpler process. I went to 1.5 but found no SIMPLE way to go to 1.7.
    Uninstall the kernel you are currently using.

Restart.

Go to preware.

Search for, and install, F4 kernel.

Restart.

Bam, you're overclocking to almost 1.8 on both cores.
    Last edited by RockySC; 09/07/2011 at 09:12 AM.
    Your contention is that most newbies won't know how to overclock. This is supported by what? The majority of posts i see from people posting to ask questions on how to do this or how to do that, are from people who spent no time to look for the pertinent information themselves and wanted to be spoonfed the answers. Once they were directed to the link, they were able to get the job done. I've yet to see someone been given the knowledge, yet said "i can't do this, its too complex".

My contention is that overclocking is easy and does not require "geek" knowledge to accomplish. This is supported by the fact that I, as a non geek with absolutely no programming knowledge whatsoever, was able to overclock it just fine.

Just an edit - But the reason you found no *simple* way to overclock to 1.7 is because it isnt supposed to be simple. The uberkernel is the only stable kernel and any kernel that overclocks above that is experimental, still being tested, or unstable. For such kernels, it would behoove the newbies that you identified in your post to NOT find them. Its hidden from them for a reason . Those that are persistent can still get the job done, it just requires adding a few feeds that are hidden by default for the good of the newbies.
  11.    #11  
    how do you know they were able to get the job done after they got the directions? maybe they just gave up and never re-posted. over-clocking is easy -- for you and me, but maybe not for others, PROBABLY not for many others. so what facts do you have *supported* that you question me about?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    Your contention is that most newbies won't know how to overclock. This is supported by what? The majority of posts i see from people posting to ask questions on how to do this or how to do that, are from people who spent no time to look for the pertinent information themselves and wanted to be spoonfed the answers. Once they were directed to the link, they were able to get the job done. I've yet to see someone been given the knowledge, yet said "i can't do this, its too complex".

My contention is that overclocking is easy and does not require "geek" knowledge to accomplish. This is supported by the fact that I, as a non geek with absolutely no programming knowledge whatsoever, was able to overclock it just fine.

Just an edit - But the reason you found no *simple* way to overclock to 1.7 is because it isnt supposed to be simple. The uberkernel is the only stable kernel and any kernel that overclocks above that is experimental, still being tested, or unstable. For such kernels, it would behoove the newbies that you identified in your post to NOT find them. Its hidden from them for a reason . Those that are persistent can still get the job done, it just requires adding a few feeds that are hidden by default for the good of the newbies.
    it's funny but sometimes when I read complex programming answers to simple questions about webOS and overclocking etc etc it makes me think of the old kaypro 2 days and cp/m. this is the 21st century kids. It shouldn't be this complex for everybody who isn't a programmer or a complete geek.
    If you believe you can write simpler instructions, why don't you do it?

Overclocking isn't hard. Get preware installed (simple), get govna and uberkernel, change settings in govna to raise your clockspeed.

Not rocket science.

Installing homebrew is similarly simple - once you get past the ONLY real step (getting preware on your touchpad), you can tap and click your way to every single homebrew application without difficulty.

Most of the instructions on how to do this break things down STEP BY STEP to make it almost foolproof. The guide I put up ^^^ thataway on the forum was specifically aimed at people wanting to set up their touchpad and coming into webos completely blind.

Some things (overclocking to 1.8ghz etc) are deliberately kept more complex to keep average users from attempting it without recognizing the risks and having the capacity/knowledge to fix things if they bork their touchpad up. This is a net positive - average users don't end up with table weights instead of tablets, and power users get to fiddle with the bleeding edge.

So in short, it's SIMPLE to do any of the "safe" things to your touchpad. It's complex to do difficult and dangerous things, and for GOOD reason.
    for warthog and f15, you just enable the testing feeds. Copy and paste them into the feeds in preware, here is the link Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals Now don't let the rules scare you off, if you did have to troubleshoot, everyone on here is super nice and is happy to help you, plus webos Dr is there to revive your tablet in the event you murder your touchpad. You need the testing all feed and armv7 feed. Just 2 of them. Warthog does 1.7, I uninstalled the unset cfq patch, since warthog uses certain settings for this. Good luck. Maybe I am a nerd ;-)

however I do agree with ncinerate above, if you are not confident you can follow directions, don't do it.
    Last edited by vella_; 09/07/2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.