Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just converted 2 MKV videos to MPEG-4. The first video with 1.2GB size loaded and played just fine. However, the second video with 4GB size doesn't want to load and play. Same file type converted with the same type, but the bigger file did not play. I tried converting a different video with 3GB size it also didn't play. Is it because the video files are too big that is why TP doesn't play it? Any suggestions? Thanks
    EDIT: Editing my own post way up here because there's lots of misinformation in this thread. Despite what is said below, the HP Touchpad CAN play media files up to 4GB and is not FAT16 but FAT32. Any problems playing files that fit in that size are caused by something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    I just converted 2 MKV videos to MPEG-4. The first video with 1.2GB size loaded and played just fine. However, the second video with 4GB size doesn't want to load and play. Same file type converted with the same type, but the bigger file did not play. I tried converting a different video with 3GB size it also didn't play. Is it because the video files are too big that is why TP doesn't play it? Any suggestions? Thanks
    Pretty sure I've played 4GB .MP4 files before so it's not necessarily the size stopping you. Give us a mediainfo dump of the files in question if you can. Bitrate, codecs, etc.

Grab the demo version of KalemSoft Mediaplayer and see if they play. Many of us are using that instead now (since version 0.3.6+ can play almost anything, even in HD, smoothly).

Good luck.
    Last edited by morydees; 09/07/2011 at 07:19 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Video info that does not play on TP:
    Video Codec: MP4 MPEG-4 Video
    Resolution: 1280x544
    Data Rate: 4,026 kbps
    Bitrate: 4,178 kbps
    Frame Rate: 23 fps

The other videos that I have converted that plays have the same video info. I cannot seem to find a demo version of Kalemsoft MP. Do you have a link by any chance. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    TP will not play files larger than 2 Gb, reencode your movie.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    That is pathetic.
    Touchpad video SPEC:
    - H.264 Decoder Baseline Profile at Level 3. Maximum Image Resolution: VGA (640x480) (XGA, 1024x768 for TouchPad). Maximum Frame Rate: 30 fps. Maximum Bit Rate: 2 Mbps.
    - MPEG4/H.263 Decoder MPEG4 Visual Simple Profile at level 5. Maximum Image Resolution: VGA (640x480) (640x480) (XGA, 1024x768 for TouchPad). Maximum Frame Rate: 30 fps. Maximum Bit Rate: 2 Mbps.
    - Containers: MP4, M4V, M4A, MOV, 3GP, 3G2

So your bitrate is out of border.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milanroubal View Post
    Touchpad video SPEC:
    - H.264 Decoder Baseline Profile at Level 3. Maximum Image Resolution: VGA (640x480) (XGA, 1024x768 for TouchPad). Maximum Frame Rate: 30 fps. Maximum Bit Rate: 2 Mbps.
    - MPEG4/H.263 Decoder MPEG4 Visual Simple Profile at level 5. Maximum Image Resolution: VGA (640x480) (640x480) (XGA, 1024x768 for TouchPad). Maximum Frame Rate: 30 fps. Maximum Bit Rate: 2 Mbps.
    - Containers: MP4, M4V, M4A, MOV, 3GP, 3G2

So your bitrate is out of border.
    Where exactly did you get those specs? I do not see them any where.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    That is pathetic.
    It's apparently because Palm chose to make the user partition compatible with the vast majority of computers and made it FAT16 instead of something more robust.

Then again, why on earth would you ever need more than 2GB for a movie you're playing on a 9.7" screen? I'm assuming you have it some reasonable distance from your eyes - say 18" or so - so you can't physically (optically) tell the difference between a 1.8GB movie and an 8 GB movie.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    It's apparently because Palm chose to make the user partition compatible with the vast majority of computers and made it FAT16 instead of something more robust.

Then again, why on earth would you ever need more than 2GB for a movie you're playing on a 9.7" screen? I'm assuming you have it some reasonable distance from your eyes - say 18" or so - so you can't physically (optically) tell the difference between a 1.8GB movie and an 8 GB movie.
    you can still play on touchpad files from DLNA server where is no limit for the filesize
    Typo Lad likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by milanroubal View Post
    you can still play on touchpad files from DLNA server where is no limit for the filesize
    And I just happen to be making one of those. Yay.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all the helpful advise. I will try to recode the movies and see what happens. The movies that are big that i am trying to load were Pirates of the Carrabian and Fast Five at 720p.

Do you guys know if kalemsoft has a trial version?
    Thanks for all the helpful advise. I will try to recode the movies and see what happens. The movies that are big that i am trying to load were Pirates of the Carrabian and Fast Five at 720p.

Do you guys know if kalemsoft has a trial version?
    Yup, check this thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3111843 out with the link
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Where exactly did you get those specs? I do not see them any where.
    somebody wrote them on some forum, that they are coming directly from hp.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    that stinks. not that i'm buying a touchpad but the majority of my movies are over 2G. The hd stuff that is. I used to get so annoyed by the xbox 360 4GB file limit for mp4s (not to mention the inability to play mkvs at all). Eventually got a wdtv so now i can play huge 1080p hd files. Guess the future of tablets will mean to play they i'd have to reencode them, which considering the pain that is wouldn't happen from me.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post

The file system is fat32 and having to convert every damn movie is time consuming. Even my phone can play a 4GB movie and much better than the dual core touchpad. That says a lot about the software.
    Whoa whoa WHOA guys. This thread is full of misinformation. Please be careful spreading it.

The HP Touchpad CAN play files over 2GB and the file system is NOT fat16.

In truth, the file system is FAT32 (still old) but this means we can copy/play files as large as 4GB. I have tested and proven that fact in my other thread, which coincidentally someone else linked to above. In fact, here's the Youtube video from that thread, showing me play a 3.7GB .MKV file:

(skip to 0:55 seconds)

Now back to the original poster. I haven't specifically played a 4GB .MP4 file so there could be an issue with those but I doubt it. My hunch is something else is going on with your larger files for some reason, I just don't know what. I would test this to be sure but I don't have any .MP4 files over 2GB in my collection. Perhaps someone else can try?
    Hi All,

I just ripped my first blu-ray movie using the recommended settings from PavTube blu ray ripper. I have a few questions that I am hoping somebody can help me with. The audio sync is way off. It sometimes corrects itself then the audio will start from the beginning of the movie while the movie is still playing. I have to admit I am streaming the movie because to the TP I did not know you can't load a download a file bigger than 4gbs. The file I ended up with is over 6gbs. Can I change the FAT32 on the TP to NTFS?

So does anybody have the proper settings I should use ripping a blu-ray so I can download it directly to my TP. Or do you recommend another type of software to use. This is all new to me but I am a fast learner. I just love the watermark that's in the middle of my screen that says PAVTUBE I guess because I am using the trial version.

Anyhow any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again
    cant change it from fat32. Honestly, if you have a 6gb file the touchpad is having to work waaaaay to hard to decode that and size it to the native screen resolution. You should encode it to the iPad presets at 1024x768.

I haven't ripped a blu-ray disk, but when ripping a DVD the audio sync issue is usually a problem when re-encoding it to h.264

I use Handbrake (free) or Replay Converter (not fee) depending on which PC I'm using.
    If you have KalemSoft, you can just split the file first with any splitter program (rather than reencode) and play the two halves. Not elegant but an option.

I know I have way too much stuff to bother with re-encoding so I've been loving the new player now that it works.
    I have a 6gb file because I didn't know the TP could not accept that so I just continued with what I have. It's streaming now from my home PC but the audio keeps starting over from the beginning of the movie every 5 minutes then it will catch up to the rest of the movie after about a minute. I don't know if its because it's a trial version but the video is playing very smoothly and looks awesome but as I said the audio is all over the place and keeps starting over.

What should I encode the blu-rays to and what should the final file size be around?

Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast