Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morydees View Post
    Whoa whoa WHOA guys. This thread is full of misinformation. Please be careful spreading it.

The HP Touchpad CAN play files over 2GB and the file system is NOT fat16.

In truth, the file system is FAT32 (still old) but this means we can copy/play files as large as 4GB. I have tested and proven that fact in my other thread, which coincidentally someone else linked to above. In fact, here's the Youtube video from that thread, showing me play a 3.7GB .MKV file:

(skip to 0:55 seconds)

Now back to the original poster. I haven't specifically played a 4GB .MP4 file so there could be an issue with those but I doubt it. My hunch is something else is going on with your larger files for some reason, I just don't know what. I would test this to be sure but I don't have any .MP4 files over 2GB in my collection. Perhaps someone else can try?
    I'll correct that to: the native player cannot play mp4 files larger than 2gb. I encoded a 2.01 gb file and it wouldn't play. Haven't used kalemsoft.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Whoa whoa WHOA guys. This thread is full of misinformation. Please be careful spreading it.

The HP Touchpad CAN play files over 2GB and the file system is NOT fat16.

In truth, the file system is FAT32 (still old) but this means we can copy/play files as large as 4GB. I have tested and proven that fact in my other thread, which coincidentally someone else linked to above. In fact, here's the Youtube video from that thread, showing me play a 3.7GB .MKV file:

(skip to 0:55 seconds)

Now back to the original poster. I haven't specifically played a 4GB .MP4 file so there could be an issue with those but I doubt it. My hunch is something else is going on with your larger files for some reason, I just don't know what. I would test this to be sure but I don't have any .MP4 files over 2GB in my collection. Perhaps someone else can try?
    cool. that said still kinda stinks as i have tons of files over 4 GBS but hey it is what it is and touchpads don't have much space anyways so not a big deal.

side note. For those who want to convert mkv to mp4 without reencoding. xenonmkv is a great tool. Home | XenonMKV I've used it for quite a while when i only had an xbox and was lucky enough to find a mkv under 4Gs that i could convert to mp4 without recoding. The file size limits on the Touchpad, whatever they are 2gbs or 4gbs, still apply so it would have to be an acceptable size but it's pretty fast.

oh another point is if i recall correctly this reencodes any audio to 2 channels because it is a tool aimed at xbox users and the xbox lacks 5.1 support for some containers. but i doubt that's a big deal since i don't think touchpads use 5.1 surround either.

For most stuff though i now use mkvextract if i have to extract, Yamb if i need to mux extracted files to an mp4. If i want to make an mkv i use mkvmerge.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/07/2011 at 11:29 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    The OP is referring to the stock player and not an overpriced app that requires an overclocked Touchpad to play an HD video smooth.

I actually tested this and the stock player isn't playing any videos over 2GB.
    Two things.

1) You're right, the OP was talking stock player. I was just correcting two later replies that specifically said "the Touchpad can't play files over 2GB" (not true) and that it was "FAT16" (also not true).

2) I don't see the reason to critical over an add-on that's just an option the TP doesn't have natively. For some of us time is money. $6 to save 6 days of encoding (way more for some of us) is quite handy.

Thanks for confirming the .MP4/stock player issue. Now he knows his options.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    oh another point is if i recall correctly this reencodes any audio to 2 channels because it is a tool aimed at xbox users and the xbox lacks 5.1 support for some containers. but i doubt that's a big deal since i don't think touchpads use 5.1 surround either.
    Yeah, I'm lucky I don't have too much over 4GB since it's mostly half hour TV. Great call on Xenon though. I remember using for that exact reason, streaming to XBOX before my XBMC rig. Definite time saver!
    Yeah, I'm lucky I don't have too much over 4GB since it's mostly half hour TV. Great call on Xenon though. I remember using for that exact reason, streaming to XBOX before my XBMC rig. Definite time saver!
    yep that's one that's so good even though i don't use it as much anymore i keep in in the back of my mind. Because i was on a pretty old windows xp machine and if i go a 3.9 gig mkv the last thing i wanted to do was have my computer running for 14 hours reencoding like i did when i first started streaming to my xbox. My crappy computer would be hot as hell and the fan would be roaring all night it was working so hard. luckily most of my tv shows are much smaller files.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12