Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I agree with the re-index option!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I just ran into this problem and figured out a unique fix that might help someone else.

In my case I was copying wallpapers over to my Pre3 specifically sized at 480x800 for the Pre3 screen. It turns out that something was wrong with some of my jpg files. I identified the ones with the largest file-size and deleted them from my Pre. Suddenly, the indexing was working again.

Then I opened those large files in Photoshop on my PC and re-exported them as high quality jpegs and then copied them back to my Pre3. Problem solved, and my pre3 is now indexing all files again.

I suspect a few of these wallpapers were in a format that the pre3 indexing service was stumbling on. Maybe they were .bmp files accidentally renamed as .jpg files, I really don't know for sure. All I know is, it's clear that for whatever reason, the indexing service will fail if comes across a file it does not like.

Long story short; The webOS indexing service may dislike some of your files. My suggestion is to use a "process of elimination" to determine the culprit. It's most likely 1 or 2 files your webOS device does not like.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I copied a video over to my downloads folder and it doesn't show up but another one I did previously does. And, I had to hunt and peck around to find the folder these are saved in, it is buried somewhere.
    I'm still having this issue. Nothing works. I can't believe this wasn't fixed in the latest update...

I can't use the process of elimination due to the number of pictures that I have. I have many folders that are not indexing. One of them, I just took the pictures yesterday and copied them over to my TouchPad. The folder shows empty, but the pics are there.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    From what I can observe, if the total size of the files is large (maybe >200Mb) then it has trouble indexing. Can anyone confirm?

-- Sent from my White HP Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    From what I can observe, if the total size of the files is large (maybe >200Mb) then it has trouble indexing. Can anyone confirm?

-- Sent from my White HP Touchpad
    I have had this problem a number of times and now think I have it figured out. I also also have a zillion pics (over 8000) in multiple folders. Once I started doing the following, the problem stopped:

* Place photos in subfolders (each will be an album) and place the subfolders in the DCIM folder.
    * Only have jpg files in the photo album subfolders. Only copy of these files. Do not copy any thumbnail/meta type files. (simply copy files ending in .jpg)
    * Uninstall the Muffle Patch. I am pretty sure this patch messes up the indexing. I'm running 3.04 with 1.5 UberKernal and all of the other popular patches and all is good.
    * Do not delete albums or pictures in the photo app or on the TP at all. Only delete or add pics/albums through a PC using USB mode.

Now the bad news. If this the problem comes up, the only consistent fix I have used is to backup with Webos and do a full erase data and apps. It sounds worse than it is. All apps come back, you'll just need to spend a little time re-installing preware apps/patches and adding back your passwords for accounts and wifi. You'll need to add the pics back as well, so keep them in a safe place on your PC.

Good luck.
    Just to contradict and confuse the issue further...

I ran into this a few days ago when I transferred a large number of images over usb to my touchpad. The first time I did this there were a ton of folders (probably 40-50) and only about 1/8 generated thumbnails and would show that there was anything in them. Clicking on the folder in the image viewing tool included with the touchpad would simply note that there were no files in there. Viewing them via PC would clearly show that the images were in the folder. No amount of rebooting, restarting, removing, or any other method seemed to fix it. It's like the indexer or something just broke. (I still have the muffle patch on)

But then I fixed the issue.

I don't know if this will fix it for you, but I copied all the images into 6 folders instead of the crazy directory structure they were initially in (which is better anyway since touchpad doesn't give us nested folders in the viewing tool - this is EXTREMELY annoying by the way). I deleted the old files and then pushed up the new folders (just six now instead of 50 or so with all sorts of folders in folders) and it started indexing the files just fine. It takes a while to index hundreds of files, just so you know, but it does get them done. You can see the count going up if you are watching the folder in the viewer tool.

Anyhow, if I had to guess, I'd think it was something to do with the viewing tool being horribly written and having major issues with indexing, especially when it comes to crazy things like folders within folders. I mean, nobody uses that sort of thing these days, do they? =)

If only someone would make an awesome image viewing tool that didn't stink and would offer it for free. We'd all download it! =P Ok, so I might even pay a few bucks if it was even remotely functional. (I don't consider the stock one functional. It's a broken piece of poo on a good day.)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkdobbie View Post
    Just to contradict and confuse the issue further...

I ran into this a few days ago when I transferred a large number of images over usb to my touchpad. The first time I did this there were a ton of folders (probably 40-50) and only about 1/8 generated thumbnails and would show that there was anything in them. Clicking on the folder in the image viewing tool included with the touchpad would simply note that there were no files in there. Viewing them via PC would clearly show that the images were in the folder. No amount of rebooting, restarting, removing, or any other method seemed to fix it. It's like the indexer or something just broke. (I still have the muffle patch on)

But then I fixed the issue.

I don't know if this will fix it for you, but I copied all the images into 6 folders instead of the crazy directory structure they were initially in (which is better anyway since touchpad doesn't give us nested folders in the viewing tool - this is EXTREMELY annoying by the way). I deleted the old files and then pushed up the new folders (just six now instead of 50 or so with all sorts of folders in folders) and it started indexing the files just fine. It takes a while to index hundreds of files, just so you know, but it does get them done. You can see the count going up if you are watching the folder in the viewer tool.

Anyhow, if I had to guess, I'd think it was something to do with the viewing tool being horribly written and having major issues with indexing, especially when it comes to crazy things like folders within folders. I mean, nobody uses that sort of thing these days, do they? =)

If only someone would make an awesome image viewing tool that didn't stink and would offer it for free. We'd all download it! =P Ok, so I might even pay a few bucks if it was even remotely functional. (I don't consider the stock one functional. It's a broken piece of poo on a good day.)
    And once again existing photo albums suddenly claim they are empty when internalz shows they are not. I am really beginning to hate this thing over something that should be so basic. Show pictures.

Anyone have a new fix?
    Try every potential fixes given in this thread. Nothing worked (uninstall Muffle system logging, reboot twice, delete filenotify.db3, etc.).
    Then I went into the logging menu (##5647#) just to check something (without doing anything), and now it works perfectly...
    I'll keep you updated if I managed to reproduce.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I've had 100% success so far with just giving the filenotifyd daemon a restart. Not sure if you're comfortable on the command line, I'll try to be very basic in case you're not.

Get to a linux command line on the TP. I use Xecutah/Xterm.

At the "#" prompt, type:

ps -ef | grep filenotifyd

That's called a "pipe" in the middle, shares a key with "Y" on the +=[] keyboard (on my unpatched US English keyboard, anyway).

That will show you a line that looks something like this:

root 1234 1 0 14:23 ? 00:00:03 /usr/bin/filenotifyd

You want that first number - "1234" in this example, yours will be different. Put that number into another command:

kill -HUP 1234

Remember to put your individual number in instead of 1234. This is the PID, or Process ID, and it will change, so run the first command any time you have to do this to get the new PID.

Now wait a few minutes while the TP searches out all your media.

I would think something similar ought to work on webOS 2 devices as well, BTW, but I think the name of the daemon is different.
    Thanks, I will try.

But at first glance, I don't see the difference between killing the filenotifyd process and rebooting the device ?
    It seems that the problem is a corrupt database (but deleting filenotify.db3 and .photosApps doesn't help much so far).
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
    Thanks, I will try.

But at first glance, I don't see the difference between killing the filenotifyd process and rebooting the device ?
    It seems that the problem is a corrupt database (but deleting filenotify.db3 and .photosApps doesn't help much so far).
    The difference that you don't have to sit and stare at "HP" flashing at you for a few minutes? Or lose all your other open cards, for that matter.

I'm not sure the DB is corrupt, I think filenotifyd just gets to a point where it thinks it has already found everything and doesn't go looking for new files. That's a completely subjective guess based on not much, but it seems to fit the observed behavior.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123