Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    No Kindle app for the UK and the adobe PDF reader is terrible. It does not show text clearly on my large scanned documents I want to carry around. I love the web and the games but expected a decent reading experience above all. Is this what I am left with or will future updates fix this. I really hope so, wasted opportunity is what I think at the moment.
    have you looked at something like hamster.com to convert kindle books for use with an ereader app? I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting.
    calibre w/plugins and preader
    Do a forum search.
    Their is a way of getting the us kindle on to your uk touchpad i did mine last week but i cannot remember the name of the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    have you looked at something like hamster.com to convert kindle books for use with an ereader app? I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting.
    LOL - have you Googled hamster.com?
    fxspec06 and DizWhiz like this.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    preader is very un user friendly....i need a moon app or somesuch to make reading viable on the TP.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Are we allowed to post links to the Kindle .ipk on here? i have the latest version and it works perfectly with my UK Amazon account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cube1701 View Post
    Are we allowed to post links to the Kindle .ipk on here? i have the latest version and it works perfectly with my UK Amazon account.
    just pm it?
    Quote Originally Posted by markybaby View Post
    No Kindle app for the UK and the adobe PDF reader is terrible. It does not show text clearly on my large scanned documents I want to carry around. I love the web and the games but expected a decent reading experience above all. Is this what I am left with or will future updates fix this. I really hope so, wasted opportunity is what I think at the moment.
    You might want to check out pReader native. It supports lots of formats & more are coming (especially mobi DRM and B&N ePub DRM). It extremely customizable & fast. If you'd like to try it, you want to go to the official support thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html The newest version is linked in the first post. Just tap on the sourceforge link, tap on the .ipk with the highest version number, and Internalz or preware will open to install it for you. Make sure you get the version in the thread - the version in the App Catalog is the non-native (much slower) version and the thread version is usually newer than the one in preware.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the reading experience with pReader native on the TouchPad. If you've got any questions or issues about pReader, just come over to the thread. Hope to see you there
    Quote Originally Posted by krighton View Post
    preader is very un user friendly....i need a moon app or somesuch to make reading viable on the TP.
    If you have issues with pReader, please stop ever at the official support thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html There you can the latest version of the native version & lots of help. Maybe there are features you want that you didn't find, or if they're not there, the thread is the best way to talk to the developer about adding them. Hope to see you there!
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    lol, clearly not..... =p
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    sorry, info here:

Hamster Ebook Format Changer - Free Software | eBookanoid.com
    pReader is DEFINITELY not user friendly at first glance. The first time I opened it I looked at it for about 3 minutes and uninstalled it and went looking for something else.

When I realized there was nothing else, I reinstalled pReader and have since come to appreciate it. It still needs some work but it is a very usable reader app. Give it a try and spend some time with it and you'll get there.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I'm an avid kindle reader and bought a touchpad thinking that there was a Kindle app for it in the UK.

Although there isn't, it is quite easy to install the US beta app and it works perfectly with my UK amazon account. I have already bought a couple of books which have been delivered no problem.

Search google or the forum for the instructions. About an hour of time on the PC and touchpad sorted it for me. (about 10 minutes if you have previous experience of the WebOS quick install program.)
    If you can get the kindle to work its great.There is a post on one of the webos forums about using calicbre to convert to mobi then getting a free amazon book downloaded and side load the mobi and name it the same as the free one you downloaded,well guess what it works perfect.
    Cheers
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by supermatt9 View Post
    pReader is DEFINITELY not user friendly at first glance. The first time I opened it I looked at it for about 3 minutes and uninstalled it and went looking for something else.

When I realized there was nothing else, I reinstalled pReader and have since come to appreciate it. It still needs some work but it is a very usable reader app. Give it a try and spend some time with it and you'll get there.
    If you DO decide to try pReader, make sure you get the native version from the thread I linked to above. It's usually newer than the one in preware and the version in the App Catalog is the non-native, really slow, version.

pReader might seem less user friendly if you're in full screen mode. When you are, you can't see or open the menu. To get out of full screen mode, just tap & hold on the screen & it will exit full screen mode. You can use tap & hold to toggle between screen mode. Once you get access to the menu, open it and select help. The help is pretty comprehensive and if you have other questions, we'd love to help you in the support thread.

IMO the Kindle app is not user friendly or intuitive since you've got to tap in certain areas to get things to happen & there's no indication of that on screen. You almost HAVE to come here or Amazon to find out how to access features. At least on pReader, everything is accessed from the system standard menu. YMMV
    I found kindle way easier to use then preader ,I even had the latest version from preware and I had nothing but problems.Any way that's just my 2cents worth.
    Cheers
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by markybaby View Post
    don't limit yourself to all the posibilities...think out of the box, in this day and age we are no longer divided by arbitrary geographical designations...we are all connected by the interwebz...

to that extent:

just use impostah to get kindle from the US catalogue or find an IPK of it somewhere online and use quickinstall from your computer or install it right off the touchpad with internalz and preware
    scanned document is likely stored as images, which will have a resolution limit. You sure your document display better on other tablets or computer?

maybe rescan to a higher resolution?
    @clevin: The document resolution is definitely not the issue here. I have several PDF files which were created natively and where the text is implemented as real text - it still gets very blurry. I tried opening and zooming these files on my PC and an iPad as well and can confirm that they open and zoom perfectly. It definitely is an issue with Adobe Reader.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast